David Byrne New Album “American Utopia” Coming March 9, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dark Horse 77, May 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

I was there too, so much fun !!

fishcane likes this.
  2. Coltrane811

Coltrane811 Forum Resident

The fact that David Byrne wrote a letter apologizing and described how he was going to be more gender inclusive in the future speaks to the fact that he seems to agree that the criticism was valid. I know it easy to dismiss criticism as illegitimate, but it is also useful to spend some time considering that just maybe they have a point.

As for the record, I think the trademark Byrne quirkiness will require quite a few spins to be comfortable with. I’m always hoping he is going to do another one like Grown Backwards, as that is my fave Byrne solo record. This one is still very nice.

djhurley92 likes this.
  3. jmczaja

jmczaja Forum Resident

I couldn't disagree more.. An artist decides who they want to surround themselves with. Whether thats men or women, or both it's their choice, it's their art and not some activists.

4. smarone313

smarone313 Forum Resident

I saw the show in Hershey PA Wednesday night- unique and inspiring, simple and complex at the same time. I had balcony seats which frankly seem to me the best way to experience the show. Musically, a seamless mix of Heads classics and new Byrne.

JNTEX likes this.
  5. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

Cripes - this one's a bit of a suprise for me; suprising in the sense that I've spun it about a half dozen times and I can't get on board with it at all. Some of the production sounds alarmingly dated and the lyrics are awfully mawkish: like an updated version 1997's Feelings and leaning heavily towards the more risable and grating sections of that album.

I wish I could like this more (I'm a huge fan of Byrne and his multidisciplinary career) but this is hugely disappointing.

6. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Well, a more cynical view is that he's simply playing to the gallery.

I don't for one moment believe Byrne excluded women due to a prejudice or bias. His history speaks of anything but. For this album, it worked out as it did. Hence, I also believe that he worked with the artists he did based on their talent, availability, and being around them at this time. No exclusion too place. As such, the apology is unnecessary.

In the realm of the arts, an artist can work with whomever they want - not everything is an open role call. Given Byrne's history - my take on this is that is they went after Byrne, they'll surely go after anyone. I support equality - but this is a call for equality too far, and does more damage than good.

7. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Will be seeing Mr. Byrne three times this year - in San Diego / London and at INMusic Croatia...very excited!

8. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

I'm really disappointed he responded and gave credence to this garbage. I saw the ruckus on FB, and one comment claimed that Byrne's apology was necessary, because "the moment" is "far more powerful and important, arguably, than artistic expression." That is where we are headed, folks.

9. Sprocket Henry

I'm 100% behind the #metoo movement - it's way overdue. However, the issue of the lack of female representation on this record and the fact Byrne felt compelled to pen an apology makes me feel awfully uncomfortable. This is the point where what ostensibly starts out as a progressive movement becomes entrenched in an atmosphere of blind emotion and intolerance, ironically becoming conservative in itself. The internet renders this sort debate into a dystopian shouting match where articulate debate is completely lost. Anyone who knows vaguely anything about Byrne's background and career will appreciate that his track record of working with women is pretty darn excellent and sets a benchmark for collaboration and inclusion across artistic practice.

10. Sprocket Henry

Also, Gorts - I'm well aware my previous post is contextually political, so I can reassure you that's where I'm leaving it. :)

11. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Saw him interviewed on Trevor Noah last night and was taken with how relaxed and charming he was. I’d love to go see the show. All I could find was mediocre seat for $144. If that was 3rd row fine but I can’t do it for halfway back on the side.

12. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Got the cd in the mail because I got tickets to the show in May.

Listening right now. Yep, sounds like Byrne and Eno, all right.

You know what I like? 37 minutes. Just like lps in the old days. Songs don’t meander. It’s Not Dark Up Here sounds like a pick to click...

13. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

I came here to see if anyone had commented on vinyl vs CD mastering... and all I found pissed off old white guys talking about how much better things were when they pissed off young white guys.

But anyways.. any thoughts on vinyl vs cd from anyone who's heard both or has insight into the recordings/mastering process. Excited to buy this one, but as usual, not sure if I wanna go CD or LP. Thanks in advance.

14. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Instead of apologizing, maybe he should just make work that reflects his beliefs. But I guess that's the old way of doing it. Not impressed, to say the least.

15. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

I don't believe he excluded women due to prejudice; I do recall the collab with St. Vincent. But all these years later, he is still the guy who pushed Tina Weymouth to a secondary role because he somehow thought Busta Jones was a better bass player. I bet he is still conscious of that (and the long-time bad blood between him, Tina and Chris Frantz) when someone points out he didn't include any women. (In other words, his history includes a well-known instance of him disrespecting a female bandmate; that's why he felt obliged to do a public-relations response.)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  16. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I am not wild about this album -- it seemed rather nondescript to me...

17. jcarr73729

jcarr73729 Forum Resident

Of the very few mentions on this thread of the music on 'American Utopia', this is the one that I agree with.
    DB has turned out a lot of good tunes, especially the choruses, throughout his career, but this new release is missing anything to catch my attention, even after two listens.
    I saw DB in Manchester back in 2009 when the set-list was mostly off the latest Eno/Byrne album, and quite a lot of TH songs too (see the 'Ride Rise Roar' tour DVD).
    I made the decision not to pay the high concert venue prices this time around, and the new album is not making me regret that decision.
    As I know from last time around, it'll be a great show, but he would do well to be highly selective with the set-list off 'American Utopia',

pghmusiclover likes this.
  18. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I'm glad I'm not alone -- and I absolutely agree with your assessment "DB has turned out a lot of good tunes, especially the choruses, throughout his career, but this new release is missing anything to catch my attention, even after two listens."! I will listen a few more times, but I just don't see this ever becoming a favorite.

19. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Full set Lollapalooza Chile. The only colour on stage comes from flesh, shoes or instruments. Great version of Blind here

Crawling all around looking for foot, foot, footprints

Joe Paul, Geee! and Max Florian like this.
  20. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

I love Talking Heads but I'm glad I didn't buy a ticket for this tour. All that choreography and dad-dancing ... he's already passing lyric lines in the 3rd song to the backup singers cause his breath isn't keeping up. By the time this show hits my area in late July after dozens of shows they will be going through the motions literally and figuratively.

Tanx likes this.
  21. Thrillsville

Thrillsville Forum Resident

Still waiting (impatiently - received a shipping notice March 7) in BC for this to show up in the mail. Hopefully it will arrive today if you got yours recently.

22. Alcoholic

Alcoholic Forum Resident

Can an artist decide to listen to feedback and make different choices if he feels some criticisms are valid?

Coltrane811 and Max Florian like this.
  23. Of course they can. But imho they shouldn’t :tiphat:

jmczaja likes this.
  24. Alcoholic

Alcoholic Forum Resident

But he shouldn't listen to you either, right?

25. Correct. I support them trusting their own artistic instincts whatever the outcome... Compromising to the whims of critics and audiences is a recipe for failure in the long run IMHO

jmczaja likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.