David Crosby "Sky Trails"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Musician95616, May 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bill Maxwell

bill Maxwell Member

2. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

What are the live ones? Somehow I've bought the same show (Philadelphia 1989) 3 times because they came in 3 different packages, names, and slightly altered track listings. If I want to maximize my live crosby without duplicating shows like this, what do I need to get and what do I need to stay away from?

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

CPR had 2 live albums:

live at cuesta college - a 2 CD set with just the 3 of them. mostly CRP tunes and crosby tunes, both solo and CSN(Y) ---- very difficult to find

and

live at the wiltern - another 2 CD set with a 5 piece band. a very nice variety of tunes (eight miles high, old soldier, ohio) really well done. --- this one you should be able to pick up for a decent price.

then there are the crosby solo live CD's:

'it's all coming back to me now" and "king biscuit flower hour" these are the only 2 "official" live crosby albums, although there are a ton of others out there on off labels etc.

The MEZ and vegafleet like this.
  4. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

WTF, Can't breathe, can't breathe. I'm a casual Crosby fan, but a through the roof Joni Mitchell fan. This album sounds like David Crosby channeling Joni Mitchell, he even covers one of her songs. This sounds like the follow up to Hejira, it should be called Joni 1977! Love, just love this. Best Crosby album ever for me, best album of 2017. I've put together some 30 second samples of some of the songs PM me if you want to hear them. You are going to buy this album. I think it would be worth seeing the concert so you could pick this up, it's just that good!

Last edited: May 7, 2017
    Elliottmarx likes this.
  5. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Thanks for the post. I've got all of these except for Cuesta college. Will have to hunt that one down.

6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

good luck, you won't regret it.

there is one for $80 on ebay and 3 on amazon starting at $100.

7. drewslo

drewslo Forum Resident

For any of you who are seeing Crosby live: I was able to buy the Cuesta College Live 2 CD set packaged with the second CPR CD for just 25.00 at the Paso Robles show. Hopefully they have plenty left!

The MEZ, ARK and vegafleet like this.
  8. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Wow! I saw Just Like Gravity next to the Cuesta 2 CD set and a $25 price tag and assumed that it was the price per title (I already have them, so didn't inquire further). That is a steal!

The MEZ and Musician95616 like this.
  9. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Lighthouse is beautiful--this sounds very cool!! Can't wait.

The MEZ likes this.
  10. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Anyone here in Colorado catch the show in Boulder this past weekend?

Cannot find any reviews on-line.

Would have gone, however only seats left before selling out were not very good and $$$.

11. Shipped_It

Shipped_It Identifies as Musician

It seems to me you are not a wuss at all, rather a man of integrity. Integrity means doing the right thing when no one is looking. Good man.

As for this new Crosby album being a counterpart to Joni's Hejira, well I really need to hear it, Hejira is one of my favorite albums of all time, space and dimensions.

"I pulled into the Cactus Tree Motel
    to shower off the dust
    And I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust"

Come on, get the frack out. The lyrics on Hejira are masterful. IMO, of course.

The MEZ, JDeanB, keyXVII and 2 others like this.
  12. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Lyrics don't match up, but the feel and the way Crosby's voice attacks the songs very Joniesque to me.

Shipped_It likes this.
  13. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

How is Jaco on it?

14. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

Interesting take on Sky Trails. I picked it up at the show in Seattle and have only listened to it 3 times. However, I can say its my least favorite of the 3 new albums of his. That's not to say it isn't good, but its a little too jazzy/easy listening to me. The songs seemed better live than the studio versions, but its still a very good album. I absolutely love Croz (its my 2nd favorite after his first solo album) and Lighthouse is a strong acoustic album. Perhaps Sky Trails will grow on me some more. I agree with what others have said on here in that he seems better without Stills and Nash. Loving this late career blooming of his!

The MEZ likes this.
  15. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

Thank you very much - Somebody home made it on - presumably a new recording not the Snarky Puppy version on Family Dinner 2 ?

I have the 4 CPR cd's thanks - can recommend all of them ... Have to say I loved the 2004 C&N album, but otherwise its Crosby solo or CPR who I have really admired the most over the last 20 years from the CSNY musicians. So pleased Pevar is back playing with him again ...

The MEZ and vegafleet like this.
  16. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

17. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Disappointing his site says Sky Trails won't be out until the fall

The MEZ and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

I don't get it. Not like it is such an extensive tour. Is it an anti-piracy thing? Put it up for sale also on HDTracks for those true fans that have to have it.

Musician95616 likes this.
  19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

crosby on fallon last night (5-17-17)

20. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I love seeing him looking so great. And I loved the last 2 solo lp's. But this song, eh, no.

This. Way to close to Michael McDonald for my tastes.

21. chrisblower

Nice but they do sound just a tad like late Steely Dan ...

Myke likes this.
  22. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Since he just released "Lighthouse" in October on a different label (GroundUP/Universal), maybe he has to wait a certain amount of time before releasing "Sky Trails" officially on BMG?

And it does sound like David fronting Steely Dan, but I'm okay with that -- I thought the new song was great!

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. zen

zen Senior Member

Totally Dan. I could only handle 1:40. I'm just not cool enough for this stuff. :cool:

24. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Totally Yacht.
    ....or should I say Sailboat.
    Fine by me.

25. chrisblower

That's why I loved 'Lighthouse' - so modern and not looking back and with great young musicians too. Michelle Willis is here too but her subtle keys stand little chance behind Raymond's playing...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.