David Crosby Wants A CSNY Reunion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Jan 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

did you hear stills 2 albums with the rides?

and nash's last 2 were both very good.

no question, of the 4, neil young has had the most quantity of releases in the last 20 years, with the least quality.

Bill007, Flybynight88, carlwm and 3 others like this.
  2. rjp

do you really think fagen and croz could happen?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I do

4. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

Again, artistically, the Croz needs that less than Fagen. Croz’s output is more Steely Dan-like than the Dan itself!

AppleCorp3 and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. Detroit Music Fan

The Rides is... eh. I liked the Judy Collins thing better.

I don’t know the Nash material at all.

I definitely like Neil’s output over Still’s in the last 20 years. It’s consistently Neil even if it’s not my favorite Neil.

And I’ve said what I think of Crosby over the last five years — he’s been fantastic!

Chrome_Head likes this.
  6. rjp

i really hope that you are correct, i would love that.

both live and an album.

rockclassics and fishcane like this.
  7. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

Saw Croz at the Saban in Heavenly Bills a couple months back. Wow - he and the band were seriously great. The guitarist Jeff Pevar is as good as any I've seen playing that style of music. Tasty and passionate. And of course his drummer Steve DiStanislao is amazing as well.

Saw the Troubador show on the "Croz" tour with Shayne Fontayne on guitar. That was a killer show. I really like Croz's recent work and have all four.

Neil is hit and miss, and mostly miss these days although I don't have "Colorado" yet. It just seems that Neil doesn't take the time to develop his material to its fullest potential. I get that to be fresh and raw is a 'thing' with him but as Thomas Edison once said success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration. I find that to be true with my songwriting as well. Once in a while the 10% yields amazing results but that's the exception, not the rule. He was super good with Promise of the Real at Desert Trip in 2016 though.

I like Nash's latest as well but not as much as Crosby's. Saw Nash a couple years back with Shayne Fontayne (boy gets around!) and it was a very good night as well but still not up to Croz levels.

I haven't followed Stills' output much. I just have his first two solo efforts and while the first one is top notch the second was a step down. Lost my enthusiasm after that. Having said that the first Manassas is also top notch.

It would be cool to see a full CSN&Y reunion but it would cost a fortune and I'm not holding my breath or losing any sleep one way or the other.

8. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I take issue with graham nash calling his tour “an intimate evening” as my wife just confronted me about the credit card statement!

9. vmajewsk

vmajewsk Forum Resident

RockRoom and Detroit Music Fan like this.
  10. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

Yeah - must be tough.

11. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Colorado was such a bore, maybe this needs to happen to light his fire.

12. coot

coot Forum Resident

I think it'll happen. A new studio album would be nice:shh:

carlwm likes this.
  13. Detroit Music Fan

You don’t like Colorado at all?

14. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Sadly no and I’ve tried a few times, Liked Greendale and Psychedelic Pill very much. Lyrically he’s just lost me.

TommyTunes likes this.
  15. We've already had American Dream, Looking Forward and Déjà Vu Live. I think 3 reunions not living up to the band's early 70s work is enough. Why don't they just focus on their own careers? Neil Young, David Crosby and Graham Nash are all fine doing their own thing, why bother?

16. rjp

stills isn't so bad off either....2 albums with the rides (kenny wayne shepard) and one with judy collins.

17. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Csn has delivered the goods each time they have gotten back together since 89. Csny has not delivered imho since 74

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. rjp

'american dream' was not nearly as bad as some make it out to be. the general public wanted 'deja vu II" and that was never ever going to happen, different time, different place, different mind-sets. 80's production hurt a bit too. too many synths and syn-drums on that record.
    it did have a couple political tunes (american dream and nighttime for the generals) some very nice acoustic things ( name of love, feel your love, this old house and compass)
    a couple of real nice horn tunes (got it made and that girl)
    2 nash love songs (clear blue skies and don't say goodbye)
    and the best song that CSNY did that no one has ever heard in 'night song'.
    and a couple of real clunjkers: shadowland (way too many synths) and drivin thunder (just a convoluted mess that stills made even worse on 'man alive') and soldiers of peace (can we get a couple of dozen more singers in here?)

looking forward is very strong up until the last 4 songs (someday soon is just OK) the other 3 are terrible and why oh why would CSNY use an outside writer? (sanibel) it also has the best song neil young has written in the last 20 years in 'slowpoke".

deja vu live - just might be the worst album in the entire CSNY canon of work. (next to 'a letter home" of course) 'young's 'living with war' was a bad album to begin with (so bad he actually made 2 editions of it to try to help it along) and CSN did not help it even a little bit. the acappella 'what are their names' is fabulous (all 2 minutes of it) and a couple of the old tunes are OK, but it should have been called 'living with war - live" but i think young knew that he could sell it the other 2 ways he better not try a third way.

The MEZ, carlwm, Bill007 and 2 others like this.
  19. Flybynight88

Flybynight88 Forum Resident

Since we are doing solo careers for the last few years, here is my short take.
    Crosby: Liked most of his stuff, as weird as he is, especially the Lighthouse Band music.
    Stills: Absolutely loved The Rides records. He wrote a few great songs. I thought the Stills-Collins record was pretty good, some good guitar work on it. His voice is shot live for the most part, but he can still lay down a decent vocal on record.
    Nash: IMO he hasn't put out a good record since Wild Tales. I love the guy but I think he needs a partner to carry a solo record. Anyone!
    Young: Haven't heard Colorado yet. But I can't listen to anything he has done in the last 10 years and I was a huge fan of his since the Springfield. I guess I'm tired of his first take mentality because I don't think his songs are that good anymore. Just my opinion.

20. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

In the studio sure but there’s no reason they couldn’t put on a pretty damn good show. Not much has changed since the last tour, ability wise. As far I’ve seen...

Matthew Tate, carlwm and AppleCorp3 like this.
  21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

How is Stills voice? To me it was his voice that gave character to CSN.

Can he do much more than croak Still?

22. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Sadly, not really.

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Then imo its not CSN with no Stills voice.

24. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I agree with this. His songs, melodies and words really are the heart and soul of CSN. As CSNY, he acted as a great counterbalance to Neil in one corner, and C/N in the other. A nice balancing.

without full strength SS, it just is not the same.

25. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I have a different take on Graham Nash. This Path Tonight is probably my highlight from any of CSNY over the last few years and given how much I like Crosby's recent run and how good The Rides albums are, that's no mean feat.

From his post Wild Tales solo work, his one weak album, for me at least, is Innocent Eyes. It's not a complete pig's ear but it has a bunch of throwaway tunes on it. Earth & Sky is a cracker and while Songs for Survivors is very long (he said stating the bleedin' obvious!), at least two third of it is excellent.

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.