David Gilmour - Live in Gdansk 10th Anniversary reflections

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Harvest Your Thoughts, Aug 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident Thread Starter

David Gilmour's Live in Gdansk epic was recorded 10 years ago this Friday (26 August 2006).

It seems like a good time to reflect on what is (in my opinion) the best Pink Floyd related release ever.

I imagine there will be numerous listening parties all around the world this Friday night.

Share your fond memories of this concert. (Even if you didn't go!)

[​IMG]

2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Well, the live David Gilmour DVD, recorded at Royal Albert Hall (if I'm not mistaken), which came out around the same time, absolutely blew me away. One of the best concerts I have ever seen.

Szeppelin75, CBC, Cyberhog9 and 3 others like this.
  3. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Never bought this, although I have been tempted. Excellent track list and the portions I've seen, look great.

4. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I've got all iterations of LIVE IN GDANSK and like it a lot ... and, boy oh boy, is there a lot of material there to like on CDs, Blu-ray Discs, DVDs, downloads (dead links now, unfortunately), vinyl LPs and a 45 single.
    Rick Wright's last recordings, too, unless you count the Syd Barrett tribute 45, which features Rick singing lead on one version of the song it features (I *think* it's "Arnold Layne,* IIRC ...

Jack, SteveFff and The Revealer like this.
  5. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

Would sure love a "limited" return of the vinyl box pressing. I don't know how I missed it first time around but I seriously long for a relatively affordable copy of the LP set. These still go for $300-$600 on the used market.

Larry L, bootbox, Szeppelin75 and 3 others like this.
  6. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I love both live releases, but to me, 'Live At Royal Albert Hall' is the definitive Floyd-related release

[​IMG]

7. AnalogJ

I almost went for one in the discount bin (I think it was around $75), but I figured I had it covered with the DVD, although a different concert. The DVD has great sound.

Szeppelin75 and rstamberg like this.
  8. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I also love the remember blu ray. One of my favorite. I would love a 5lp reissue of Gdansk, I'd buy a vinyl box of remember also.

Szeppelin75 and rstamberg like this.
  9. AnalogJ

Wow. BluRay. I bet that sounds amazing. I remember reading reviews at the time saying that the Albert Hall's performance was a little looser in a good way. When playing with a symphony orchestra as in the Gdansk concert, you sometimes need to play it closer to the vest.

rstamberg and The Revealer like this.
  10. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I like it. I do wish that both In Concert and Gdansk would get a blu-ray release.

11. As a Floyd and Gilmour fan I didn't hesitate to pick up the vinyl boxset when it was first released. This is an absolutely stunning boxset in every sense of the word.

Freebird likes this.
  12. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

The orchestra only features on a few songs and these were already being played quite tightly close to the original. The Gdansk set is much looser in a lot of the other songs especially on Echoes as it was the final night of this tour. Echoes in particular is pretty much the definitive version, where neither Gilmour or Wright don't want to end the conversation (paraphrasing Gilmour) between them.

Maurice and SteveFff like this.
  13. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Same here. I also used the enclosed download card before it wasn't valid anymore (end of 2010). Some tracks on the vinyl set were not released on cd IIRC.

rstamberg likes this.
  14. I also used the included D/L card, plus I bought the CD/DVD as well. I'm like 90% vinyl and tape, so it's been years actually since I last listened to the digital version.

15. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

I was asked in another thread [http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/david-gilmour-announces-concert-at-pompeii.513601/page-5] to share my thoughts re: Gdansk, which I have just heard part of for the first time, and RTN which I have loved since I got it a year ago. Here is what I said about the Gdansk collection:

So, of the four discs, I went with DVD 1 (Disc 3). Basically, I decided that sitting through On An Island live again would decide for me right away if I really felt this was worthwhile to have because WHO NEEDS TWO LIVE SHOWS FROM THE SAME TOUR?

WELL, I DO!!

I would think that if you have either of these releases and you feel satisfied with the breadth of the music covered and you don't really want to get another flavor of the same presentation, then fine.

BUT, if you are at all feeling that the late Gilmour solo work approaches PINK FLOYD LEVELS OF LASTING MUSICAL SATISFACTION, then what are you waiting for? Both of these concerts are great and worthwhile. The orchestra in the Gdansk show gives On An Island such a fine power. I thought to myself that this version would be great if the bar I went to which hardly plays anything other than classic rock asked me to choose an album to play through. It's tight and powerful, where Remember That Night has the essence of the peacefulness of that music calmly carrying me through the full play presentation.

I think David Gilmour did the right thing putting all this out in the variety of formats he did. ("He" in the corporate sense.) I never expected to be this enamored with his solo music. But, it's as essential to my listening time as any individual PF effort. I want the vinyl!!

Szeppelin75, coffeetime, Jack and 3 others like this.
  16. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Please, oh please, reissue a high quality vinyl box of this very soon! Some definitive versions of Pink Floyd classics on this set. Amazing material!

Larry L and Szeppelin75 like this.
  17. I just scored a copy of the 5-disc set (the 2 regular CD's, 2 DVD's, and one more BONUS CD) on ebay for about $51 (including shipping) -- yay me!! It was too rich for my blood when it first came out, and I hardly ever spring for DVD's, so I just settled for the 2CD version back when it first came out (used and cheap, a year or two after it was first released). And I suddenly have questions!!

QUESTION #1 -- what was the original price of this 5-disc version?
    QUESTION #2 -- wasn't the 5-disc set a Best Buy exclusive? - my memory is super-vague on if this was widely available, or not.

QUESTION #3 -- I'm just digging into the 3rd CD (5th disc, exclusive to this set), which was really the biggest reason I got it. Anything especially notable or unique about any of the tracks? What are the standout tracks for you from this disc??

coffeetime likes this.
  18. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

On my to-buy-list now.

ponkine likes this.
  19. Yeah, I really need to pick this one up too. I almost never buy DVD's -- but this just might be an exception.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  20. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

From the pic I just saw this is on BluRay as well. So let's grab that for the better visual quality!

21. I still don't have a BluRay player. Like I said, I rarely buy music in video form (or movies either, for that matter). I've got maybe 3,000 CD's at the moment (down from 5,500 total, 8 years ago) -- but I think I have maybe 30-35 DVD's (at most) -- well less than 50, even including CD releases that came with DVD's (which rarely spring for).

andrewskyDE likes this.
  22. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

My reflection is this: It's my favorite live album by a Floyd member and it also has Rick Wright on keys! :pineapple:

23. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

I've got the 5 disc box.
    It is stunning.
    That is all.

Freebird likes this.
  24. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I had problems with the multi disc set. Three? Four? Returned it to Amazon and never replaced it, as I read others were having problems, too.

25. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

I'm not a massive Floyd fan but I came across this on the TV recently, enjoyed it hugely and bought the 2-CD set. Excellent stuff - even the On An Island tracks. It has since occurred to me that David Gilmour is not just a top notch guitarist, but one of my favourite singers. Listening to him and Rick singing together on the mighty Echoes is pure bliss. :agree:

andrewskyDE and Rooster_Ties like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.