David Gilmour - Live in Pompeii (Official Release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Mar 13, 2017.

1. rontoon

rontoon Forum Resident Thread Starter

It shouldn't be too long before we hear some kind of announcement about this. Andy Jackson just posted on Facebook, "Finishing live show mixes with David. All hush hush."

I think it's safe to assume that the feature will be an edit of the 2 Pompeii shows with a bunch of bonus material I wouldn't be surprised to see the Wroclaw show included (video) and some audio from the final RAH shows. I expect to see multiple format and number of discs options along the lines of his Gdansk release.

deany76, Tor33rpm, Merman and 31 others like this.
  2. MYKE

MYKE Get Off My Lawn

Which is the very definition of A Treasure. David Gilmour - Live In Gdańsk

In fact, I believe it's time to dust it off and play it again.
    Sam. :laugh:

3. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Forum Resident

So this is his fourth live release in the 21st century, I think? Meltdown, Remember That Night, Gdansk and now this…

I don't have any of them- which is best?

andrewskyDE and Hattipper like this.
  4. MYKE

MYKE Get Off My Lawn

Since we have a Blu ray of Remember That Night, I'd be tempted to say it, but you really need them all. :agree:

5. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I'm still upset I missed out on limited edition of Gdansk and the vinyl. The remember blu ray is outstanding. Can't wait for this.

6. I will grab this day one . Bring it on !

7. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Well-Known Member

I will get this as well even though I didn't care for his new album at all. The Remember That Night blu-ray was just that good!

ryaneagon and Hattipper like this.
  8. Dog Ear

Dog Ear Well-Known Member

Caught this show in Chicago and it was one of the most enjoyable nights of live music I've experienced in quite some time. The Pompeii show release in whatever form will be an easy decision, Buy It!

9. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity ThinkPad

At the right speed I hope!

Linger63 likes this.
  10. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Forum Resident

:goodie: Extremely excited for this! This will be my first live Gilmour album (minus the Floyd ones of course).

11. pigman

pigman Active Member

Automatic buy.

12. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

But hopefully with a BD this time....:)

rstamberg likes this.
  13. SteveFff

SteveFff Well-Known Member

I was at one of the Chicago shows also and I too thought it was one of the best shows by anyone (and certainly the best arena show) I'd seen in a while. I was blown away.

I've been eagerly awaiting this release.

14. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

15. zinan

zinan Active Member

I very much like this concert (I have dvd), but I want to have BD-issue. A problem of my player that he can't play a zone 1 or 2. Somebody knows whether there is version zone 0?

16. NunoBento

NunoBento Well-Known Member

Having been there the second night (and hoping that's the night David uses on video :) ) right at the front of the stage, I can't say exactly how excited I am for this. It was plain and simple the most magical night of my life.

@rontoon , can you change the title of the topic from "in Pompeii" to "at Pompeii"? Just to match the classic release ;)

JulesRules and SteveFff like this.
  17. NunoBento

Having been there the second night (and hoping that's the night David uses on video :) ) right at the front of the stage, I can't say exactly how excited I am for this. It was plain and simple the most magical night of my life.

@rontoon , can you change the title of the topic from "in Pompeii" to "at Pompeii"? Just to match the classic release ;)

18. BackScratcher

BackScratcher Forum Resident

I haven't heard Meltdown, but the Gdansk show is especially good.

19. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

I have a boot of a Krakow show from last year. One of the best albums I got in 2016. I made copies for numerous friends and they all agree.

20. I'm not familiar with the Pompeii concert in terms of song selection, so I have a question. Does DG perform ECHOES? The Gdansk version with him and Rick Wright was their last live performance, and I thought I heard someone mention it would be the last time he would cover it.

21. Rne

Rne Forum Resident

Count me in.

22. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

For those that have Remembert That Night on Blu Ray, is there such a jump in quality between the DVD and The Blu Ray?

I already have the DVD of this so i was wondering.

JulesRules and Jack like this.
  23. NunoBento

As for the discussion of which night would be best for inclusion in this release, I'm gonna paste here my take on the subject which I wrote on a Pink Floyd forum.

Having attended 7 concerts throughout the whole tour, namely the first in Pula (and previous day rehearsal) and the last at RAH, as well as both Hollywood Bowl concerts, Verona, Firenze and Pompeii, this is what I have to say:

Pula was the most magical and the most impressive scenario... if it wasn't for Pompeii. Obviously the performance was significantly flawed, which is something I hold dearly in my heart, as I got to witness that David - creator of heavenly sounds - is, in fact, a human being. It was the most human performance I've ever seen of him.

On the other end of the spectrum, performance wise, is the last night at RAH. That was the best performance I've EVER seen or heard of David in his solo career and yes, I'm counting RAH 2006 and all that. Earth-shattering. For a strictly audio release, that would be my first choice for the main feature. However, we all know that David is going for a video/audio combo and since we already got RAH from the last tour and he played in so many iconic places this time around, I never saw another RAH as a real possibility.
    More or less the same could be said about Wroclaw w/ orchestra, which would emulate Gdansk from 2006, but this time without Rick and "Echoes".

Hollywood Bowl. As it was said on this thread by people who attended the concert, the visuals were really spectacular. The coins falling on "Money", the lasers on "Run Like Hell", or the first performance of "What Do You Want From Me?" since 1994, those are all moments that I will cherish for my whole life. However, the perfomance was IMO (and comparing to all the other gigs I attended) very cold, mechanical and overall underwhelming. I don't know what was going on with the band, we heard some tensions were flowing, but what I remember was a great show marred by a band going through the motions. Again, this is just my opinion, what I felt from being there. Official release, as in "David Gilmour Live At The Hollywood Bowl"? God, no. (although it does sound cool). One or two bonus tracks in a release with another main feature, to show off the great spectacle that it was? Yes, please.

Pompeii. Well, the first public-attended show since the romans, the #ReturnToPompeii (maybe that will be the name of the release) once-in-a-lifetime event... Historically and iconically, no other concert of the tour can touch this one. The visuals were the most beautiful thing I've ever seen, although we still have to see how it will all translate to film. The performance was warm (unlike Hollywood), but quite nervous. Chester Kamen was a beast on fire. David made a few mistakes which can be corrected on the final film. All in all, Pompeii is an obvious choice for the best balance between performance and visuals. We'll see how it all materializes but the excitement, oh the excitement. :)

24. I'm not familiar with the Pompeii concert in terms of song selection, so I have a question. Does DG perform ECHOES? The Gdansk version with him and Rick Wright was their last live performance, and I thought I heard someone mention it would be the last time he would cover it.

25. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

For those that have Remembert That Night on Blu Ray, is there such a jump in quality between the DVD and The Blu Ray?

I already have the DVD of this so i was wondering.

Jack likes this.
  26. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

No Echoes. (I assume the strikethroughs were on the planned list but not played)

Thursday 7th July 2016: Pompeii, Italy
    Anfiteatro di Pompei, 80045 Pompei NA

First Set:
    5 A.M.
    Rattle That Lock
    Faces of Stone
    What Do You Want From Me
    The Blue
    The Great Gig In the Sky
    A Boat Lies Waiting
    Wish You Were Here
    Money
    Us and Them
    In Any Tongue
    High Hopes

Second Set:
    One of These Days
    Astronomy Dominé
    Shine On You Crazy Diamond
    Fat Old Sun
    Coming Back To Life
    On an Island
    The Girl In the Yellow Dress
    Today
    Sorrow
    Run Like Hell
    Time
    Breathe (Reprise)
    Comfortably Numb

Friday 8th July 2016: Pompeii, Italy
    Anfiteatro di Pompei, 80045 Pompei NA

First Set:
    5 A.M.
    Rattle That Lock
    Faces of Stone
    What Do You Want From Me
    The Blue
    The Great Gig In the Sky
    A Boat Lies Waiting
    Wish You Were Here
    Money
    Us and Them
    In Any Tongue
    High Hopes

Second Set:
    One of These Days
    Astronomy Dominé
    Shine On You Crazy Diamond
    Fat Old Sun
    Coming Back To Life
    On an Island
    The Girl In the Yellow Dress
    Today
    Sorrow
    Run Like Hell
    Time
    Breathe (Reprise)
    Comfortably Numb

andrewskyDE and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  27. rontoon

Why wouldn't it be? This is a far cry from the original Pompeii film.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  28. Khamakhazee

Khamakhazee Forum Resident

This should be a lot more affordable than what the ticket prices were going for.

Davido likes this.
  29. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I have the DVD. A friend of mine got the BD. He said that there are some issues with defining the relatively dark images on stage at times (grainy/noisy) image and therefore not a must-buy-on-bluray. As for the content and exstras it is a top notch release. Very generous bonus disc.

30. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Echoes has been retired following Rick's death. It wasn't played at all during the tour and I read an interview with DG where he said he wouldn't play it without Rick.

31. rontoon

I'll change it to match the official title of this release when it's announced.

LarsO likes this.
  32. rstamberg

rstamberg Forum Resident

I'm in.

Jack likes this.
  33. That's what I thought....and good for him on that decision.

sjaca, Rooster_Ties and Bill Mac like this.
  34. Yes and no. The video was shot at 1080i to begin with, plus other issues with the cameras used. The smoke from the fog machines or whatever they use was excessive IMO and didn't help the situation much. The Audio however is outstanding.

LarsO likes this.
  35. Sytze

Sytze Forum Resident

It's still a shame the set lists are so predictable. How great it would be to hear Gilmour perform material from his first two solo albums, or less obvious Floyd deep tracks ('A Pillow of Winds', 'Childhood's End', to name a few). I don't fancy hearing yet more versions of 'Run Like Hell'... all IMHO of course.

36. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Well-Known Member

I was disappointed that the recent Pink Floyd song Louder Than Words didn't get a live premier this tour. With that said, this looks to be an exciting DVD and I look forward to seeing it.

37. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I agree. However, Run Like Hell made a Gilmour-comeback on stage after 21 years so I don't mind that one. Quite a few of the others returned from the previous tour though (Coming Back To Life, Fat Old Sun, Shine On etc).