David Gilmour - Live in Pompeii (Official Release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Mar 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

I thought this version was recorded live:

Nick Brook and pinktree1 like this.
  2. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

This was recorded w/o an audience specifically for this CBS promo with a few other songs from his debut solo album. He never performed this live on any tour.

Billy Infinity and RPOZ51 like this.
  3. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Some of the interviews and DSOTM recording sequences were also on the 1974 theater release, which (AFAIK) has not made it to DVD.

4. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

To be fair, Floyd can't be blamed for the Director's Cut. It's Adrian Maben's film.

rontoon and JulesRules like this.
  5. ALB123

ALB123 Forum Resident

I thought there was, but I couldn't remember for certain. I have a VHS copy from the 80s somewhere - If I can remember I'll check it out...although, I don't even have a VHS player anymore. Must make a trip to see the folks. LOL

Oh, I hope I didn't come across as blaming the band. That wasn't my intention in the slightest. It's called the "Director's Cut" for a reason. The 4 Floyd boys all had a very good sense of what does and what doesn't work visually or theatrically. None of them boys would have recommended or approved that CGI nonsense. I swear, it's like Adrian Maben's nephew got a copy of 3D Studio MAX 2.5 and said "I can make something cool! This is what young people are going to love!!" :rolleyes:

Pink Floyd were one of the best bands ever to utilize visuals during shows, whether they were prepared video for Mr. Screen or lights and lasers...and then the sound effects like the Azimuth Co-ordinator and other Quadraphonic audio. Could you imagine if we could go back to some point in history...1967 - 1970...it doesn't matter, but could you imagine if the technology that exists today was available to Pink Floyd back then? They were already blowing people's minds -- it really is a shame. I better get started on that time machine. :D

coffeetime and Doctor Flang like this.
  6. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

You're right about new tech and Floyd. The projections during the Roger Waters Wall tour were incredible.

7. Was the original version (non directors cut) ever released on DVD?

8. davesmoked

davesmoked Forum Resident

I was there! wish i had that boot...nice job :)
    btw. I'm buying this one

9. Hardy Melville

You may well be right he did not perform it live in front of an audience. I did not know that, but to be technical that is a live performance.

10. rontoon

I am right. And if you want to get technical, you implied that he performed this live on tour regularly as part of his set and that's what I responded to.

11. Hardy Melville

You also said AFAIK, if you want to keep being technical.

Have a nice day.

12. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

The original version is included as an option on the DVD. It's nice but I really miss a well restored version of the 1974 film.

marc with a c and Hattipper like this.
  13. So if I have the hip-0 directors cut I have the original version on there too. Glad to read but like you can't wait for restored Blu-ray.

14. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

If I remember correctly, only dolby 2.0. No pcm option.

15. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

...and the concert film/original version on the DVD runs quite fast...

Billy Infinity and marc with a c like this.
  16. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

It's floating around the net. Apparently the show was a stereo FM broadcast.

17. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

Please tag me when the purchase links appear :agree:

18. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

There's a speed corrected version out there...

19. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

I'm a Pink Floyd fan. I remember that song on the Meddle album, it was pretty awesome, I saw the original video of the band playing that piece. Loved it!:thumbsup:

20. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Just in case someone missed this wonderful documentary. Could be fit for bonus material. I hope they fill it up with something new though, since I've watched it.

coffeetime likes this.
  21. MadFloyd

MadFloyd Forum Resident

Can you elaborate on the flawed performance and/or mistakes?

NunoBento likes this.
  22. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I have the first half of the show from HD video feed that was televised in Poland. It's David's band backed by full orchestra. I hope they include some if not all of it on upcoming Pompeii/Live Rattle release.

rontoon likes this.
  23. rontoon

I have the second part of the broadcast as well. Great performance, love the orchestra.

crossroads69 likes this.
  24. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

my fav live gilmour dvd is meltdown

hope this pompeii release in on blu-ray OR 4k ultrahd bluray!

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  25. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Sure. Off my memory, I remember that in Pula, David cut 1 minute on the Comfortably Numb solo and he screwed up The Blue solo pretty badly too. But beyond those more noticeable mistakes, from the 2nd row I could clearly see that he was feeling a bit insecure. Like I said, it was the most human performance I've ever seen of this guitar god.

As for Pompeii (2nd night), from the 1st row (I had to point out where Inwas standing ;) ) I noticed he messed up the words on High Hopes (magics instead of magnets) and his voice seemed strained in places. I think these are fixable for the release though :)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.