DAW and/or computer users

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rchavez74, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rchavez74

rchavez74 New Member Thread Starter

Is anyone familiar with "T-Racks"? I recently acquired a copy, and after about 5 straight days trying to make something sound descent, I uninstalled it and went back to Cool Edit Pro, but after reading some of Steve's posts in the archive, I re-installed it and with a little adjusting, it is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. I found that you have to fully reset it and start from zero, and kill the compressor, and take the limiter way down to just a peak only limit setting. The Eq is great!
    What does everyone else use?

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Cool EDit Pro, with Sound Forge 6.0 plug-ins.

3. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

I'm a Pro Tools guy.. and on PC I like SAW Studio. Neither has the ease of use that Cool Edit does.. then again, there isn't anything easy about accurately recording and mixing audio.

4. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

SoundForge 6.0 for heavy-duty WAV editing, and CD Architect for putting everything together for burning. (The new 5.0 CD Architect incorporates some of SoundForge's features.) Nice package that works wonderfully together. It's well worth the learning curve--having used it for a few years now, it's second nature to me.

5. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

Sorry, I thought this was more a multi-track DAW question. I am a user of Sound Forge 6.0 for basic wave editing on the PC. My pro-tools set-up is strictly for multi-tack operation.

6. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

T-racks is pretty cool, but the presets have way too much compression. And the limiter changes the stereo image somewhat. Eq and saturation are excellent, though. I still prefer Cool Edit.

7. rchavez74

So it sounds like Sound Forge may be a little more powerful for wave editing? I tried version 3 when it came out, I've never tried a newer version. Does it use Direct X EFX?
    It has it's own CD Plugin?

8. Grant

Well not so fast, many of us differ here. Many of us think Cool Edit is easier, more powerful, and intuitive to use as an editor.

It's just that the SF guys have cimed in so far.

I use both Cool Edit and SF 6.0. Cool Edit wins hands down, IMO.

SF CD burning utilities are restricted to Track-at-once, so you are forced to live with a non-red book standard and that ^*&^*$&^^O*& 2-second gap between tracks.

Cool Edit Pro 2.0 CD burning plug-in is basic but does disc-at-once only, which is what is professionally required. It more closely resembles Nero.

Of course, CD Architect 5.0 is the cream of the crop of CD authoring programs for the PC. It is a seperate program entierly now.

All You have to do is download demos for both programs and judge for yourself which you prefer.

9. Grant

One more once, Cool Edit Pro 2.0 comes with the full-featured 192-track multitrack which does come in handy for mastering functions. SF does not.

10. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Sonic Foundry's Vegas has unlimited audio tracks, uses DirectX plugins, and can also be used for video editing and DVD creation. I haven't tried it to comment on it, but it looks interesting. You can even buy a version now called Vegas+DVD, which bundles in DVD Architect.

Like I need MORE software toys. ;)

Can't say I would use ever use SoundForge for burning CDs, what with CD Architect being available. Different tools for different jobs.

11. rchavez74

Thanks Grant, I'm definately gonna check out CD Architecht...how about the sound forge plug-in's? I use Direct X, the Waves Gold Bundle, and if you don't have it, I suggest you give it a try, at least the L-1 Limiter, it is very subtle, and doesn't color the sound at all. Have you run in to any "tube" emulators that don't just distort the top end?

12. Grant

Cool Edit Pro is cheaper...

13. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Been using cool Edit Pro since it was a Shareware program called Cool Edit 96!!

Cool Edit Pro 2.0 is fantastic.

14. Grant

Yeah, Cool Edit96 got me hooked!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.