Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It did 27 Million on Friday..

mikeyt likes this.
  2. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Rotten Tomatoes score of 90%.

Mazzy likes this.
  3. Wonder if Apes will trounce A Hard Days Night at the box office this weekend ?

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

very funny...

5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

Saw it in 2D earlier today, it's a major step up from Rise, the CGI is pretty much flawless to my eyes, the apes/animals/landscapes/cityscapes are beautifully rendered. The movie explores a lot of different themes, emotions that have touched on before by other movies, this time with a couple of twists. I liked it enough that I'll probably go back to check out the 3D version. I can't wait for the next one. A very solid ****/5.

6. A $73 million dollar weekend. Not bad and might have been more if the world cup final wasn't today.

7. Deuce66

I think the positive word of mouth will keep it going for a while longer, the movie is that good.

F_C_FRANKLIN and Mazzy like this.
  8. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

Just got back from seeing it and really liked it. Saw it in 3D, and didn't think it added much (at least in the presentation I saw). Didn't think the 3D darkened the picture too
    much, just didn't see the effect often enough for me to think it's worth the extra money. Really like the emotional depth and darkness of this one. I agree that some of the CGI
    is very realistic, and you think you're looking at something that's physically in the same space as the human actors, which I feel even this far into the game a lot of computer imagery
    still doesn't do.

I'm a huge fan of the original Apes series, and like that these seem to be taking their own journey. I really hope they don't turn out to be re-making all of the original films. We HAVE
    the original films already. Let's let new artists' imaginations run wild with the concept and see where it goes.

Very much looking forward to the next one!

F_C_FRANKLIN, mikeyt and Mazzy like this.
  9. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Well the last movie was pretty clearly a remake, albeit a very liberal one, of Conquest, just as Dawn was a remake with equal liberties of Battle, and the next one is the return of the spaceship that went missing in the Rise, so I'd say they are remakes, just not very faithful ones. And honestly, this may be a lesson in how to do remakes for the rest of Hollywood to take notice of.

Dawn and Battle:
    Ape children in school taught not to kill other apes
    Caesar has a family
    One ape violates that law (Koba = Aldo)
    Caesar gets revenge on Koba/Aldo in a final battle in a high place and the antogonist falls to his death
    Caesar watches archival film of his father (human in Rise, ape in Battle)
    (but fortunately, no mutants in Dawn)

Top of my head, probably many more.

mikeyt and Pete Puma like this.
  10. No mutants or any 70s B Actors Anthony Zerbe where are you ?

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  11. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

The RealD 3D projection I saw at the new Cinamark looked very bright and clear, not 'muddled' at all. Pulled my glasses up a couple times, surprisingly, the brightness was about the same. Well worth seeing in 3D on a proper screen. Just do your research on the movie theaters in your area, find out which theaters have the best 3D projection first.

Kinda 'itching' to see it again. It's been decades since I wanted to see a Blockbuster film in a theater for a repeat viewing.

Unknown Delight and mikeyt like this.
  12. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

Saw it tonight. Pure entertainment. Just the right length and the ape CGI is to die for. Highly recommended.

Unknown Delight likes this.
  13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I wanted to see this, but my son was so terrified by the fingers biting scene in the last one that he's now scared of apes and didn't want to go see it. Sometimes a parent does what he has to do. We saw Rio 2 in the $3 theater. Okay movie. Absolutely beautiful animation. Beautiful. I had to tell a lady to turn off her cell phone. She sat there reading text for five minutes into the movie on her bright screen. What the hell? How dense are people? That haven't gotten the message by now?

Bender Rodriguez and mikeyt like this.
  14. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

I can't tell you how often I see parents take their kids to the movies and just sit there fingering their digital monkey the whole time.
    Way to engage and have a shared experience with your kids, a-holes. Will your child remember the shared experience, or that you were
    too disinterested and self-absorbed the whole time?

15. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Just saw the 3D version. Very good movie, the CGI is shockingly real, for the most part (one scene with a baby chimp looked a bit fake).

Can't add much to other commentary here, other than give it a hearty two thumbs up.

There is no post credits scene, although there are some indistinct sounds:

like rubble clearing, and some grunting, so maybe Koba survived?

--Geoff

16. Deuce66

Watch this in HD - awesome clip from WETA

Unknown Delight and mrstats like this.
  17. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

He'll get over it. My dad took me to see Poltergeist when I was 5 while my mom and newborn baby brother were in the hospital for 2 weeks and I would freak out if static came on the TV for the next few weeks :laugh: My dad still laughs telling me about when the cable went out and I ran screaming "they're here!!!!!!"

ArpMoog and mikeyt like this.
  18. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

I read an interview with the director. He said most of the movie was filmed on location. With a lot of
    the blue/green screen & motion capture stuff filmed outdoors, instead of a studio. You can see some
    of that in the video Deuce66 posted.

19. Deuce66

The apes in this movie are a lot more realistic than anything in the previous movies, it's not even close, I think the combination of motion capture and state of the art CGI brings the illusion even closer to reality. We're a long way from cheap suits and stiff/latex masks.

mikeyt likes this.
  20. They filmed a day or two on Columbus Ave in SF's North Beach and City Hall and others areas throughout the City then added the decay.

21. No maybe its time to remake 2001? :tiphat:

mikeyt likes this.
  22. Deuce66

LOL!!! I don't think anyone is that brave, it would take some major cojones to tackle that one.

Mazzy and mikeyt like this.
  23. Alright, Just the Ape portion

24. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

I saw the movie with my two grandkids on Sunday. We all liked it. As others have stated, the apes looked terrific.

mikeyt likes this.
  25. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

I really liked Koba and felt bad that he went to the dark side and Ceasar had to wack him. Damn dirty humans ruining that lovable little ape. I'm sure this storyline is in the original series as someone may have pointed out, but I don't remember those. RIP Koba - We love you.... :(

mikeyt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.