Day of the Dead - Grateful Dead Tribute

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Mar 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

This is a very rewarding box set.

2. tiger roach

tiger roach Forum Resident

Last night I got to the African-style Franklin's and Eyes. Love those! :)

3. Django

Django Forum Resident

I was in the music shop yesterday and for some strange reason I got curious about this.
    So I took a chance. I know little or no gd songs.
    I've only played the first disc. I like it.

ianuaditis, ARK and Sordel like this.
  4. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

In the early days of this release I did my best to get people here to listen to it, but I guess we're just going to have to wait for time & word of mouth to filter through. I was listening to it again yesterday: currently a very strong contender for my Album of the Year.

Kevin55 and notesofachord like this.
  5. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Isn't it more of a Box Set or Compilation though?

I'm looking to pick this up as well.

6. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Compilation doesn't necessarily mean "of existing material" but it often does, and I think of this as an album proper since I think everything (other, perhaps, than the two tracks with Bob Weir) were produced expressly for this project. As for boxed set, well, yes, maybe, but The Epic is also both a boxed set and an album.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  7. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

One of these days, I'll have to compile a top-twenty list of my favorite tracks from this mega-album.

8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Favourites ?
    Working Man's Dead.
    American Beauty

9. tiger roach

tiger roach Forum Resident

Okay - after having this set in the car for a few weeks to get acquainted, I'm listening to it on the home system for the first time. Lordy, what a difference! I like it way better without road noise. :D

It really is nicely recorded, and has a great feeling of space (not to be confused with the track called "Space") to it. I can't wait to get to the African-style tracks, and the two live tracks at the end.

10. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Still to much new Dead to listen too. DaP 18 and the '78 box

Sordel likes this.
  11. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Me too. I will get to this eventually, but between the recent GD releases, new GarciaLive, Van Morrison reissue, Dylan Bootleg Series monster set, Stones' Totally Stripped deluxe set, and other regular sized albums new and old, it has been hard to make time for it so far.

budwhite likes this.
  12. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I've still only listened to about a quarter of 30 Trips and two-fifths of July 1978 (neither in anything like the appropriate depth) so I recognise the predicament but the more you think of Day Of The Dead as a Grateful Dead album the more it may disappoint you when you hear it.

ianuaditis and Crispy Rob like this.
  13. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

That's true, it's not a Grateful Dead album. But it's a very interesting collection of interpretations of Dead songs. I'm on my second time through the box set and enjoying it. (And I'm still working through the '78 box, and DaP 18 disappointed me, it was to me just "meh").

Crispy Rob likes this.
  14. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I'm thinking of it as something else, and I'm familiar with many of the artists (and like a lot of those, although not Mumford), so my expectations I think are adjusted correctly. Just too much music, not enough time lately.

15. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

A little too stiff for my taste, but what the heck, how often do you hear this song on national TV...

ianuaditis and notesofachord like this.
  16. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Brilliant. Thanks for sharing. He is looking a bit healthier these days

17. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

Received the vinyl box today and, so far, I'm very impressed.

18. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Oh. Not received yet. How is the colour?

19. Dingo

Dingo Forum Resident

This is a wonderful entry to the music of The Grateful Dead for those who have dipped a toe in, and been frightened off by the frequent off key vocals ( looking at you particularly Donna) they were prone to. Robert Hunters' lyrics, Jerrys' guitar, etc,etc. Great bands are always worth a revisit, and if this set raises some much needed money for the chosen charity along the way....well......it's a long strange road.

20. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

The vinyl color? It's pretty impressive!

It's Felix likes this.
  21. Rob C

Rob C Forum Resident

I really like the DOTD set, and listening to it made me realize that the GD's vocals are indeed exactly what I find hardest to appreciate about the band itself. Well, they say that awareness precedes change, so maybe I will come around!

Dingo likes this.
  22. Wes Headley

Wes Headley Forum Resident

Just received the vinyl box set yesterday-- 10 LP's! Took me a while to get them all vacuum cleaned (Hannl Micro RCM). This is one beautiful collection! The vinyl looks very clean and the packaging just makes me very happy when I look at it. I'll report back after I've had a chance to sample a few of the LP's. It could take me a year to hear all of this given the number of new vinyls being released these days.

The colored vinyl work does look masterfully done and the art is psychedelic without being a direct rip-off of old works. More like images of those sixties light shows that I've seen photos of. This thing was not thrown together, it is a meticulously complied, arranged, and rendered work. Anyone buying the vinyl box will not feel ripped off. It could easily have been sold for a lot more $$$.

23. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Do we know who cut the vinyl and where it was pressed?

24. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I just picked this box set up-the CD version as a pristine used set at my local. I put disc 1 on for a spin and WOW-I really am diggin' this. All the tracks were good to excellent and the National doing Morning Dew really stood out as super excellent. I am putting this into the Rover to hear as I travel around this work week.

Kevin55 likes this.
  25. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

I really dig this compilation...the artists selected and performances are just great. I like it so much, when I saw a deeply discounted vinyl box set, I snatched it up right away. To be honest, I wasn't expecting the quality to be great. How wrong I was. 10 perfectly pressed records, good sound quality and just an all-around beautiful box. Me happy! This continues to get many listens.

ianuaditis, budwhite and tiger roach like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.