Day Tripper "dropout" - intentional

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by StrawberryFields, Sep 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Ellers

Matt Ellers Senior Member

Gotta get that quote. Anybody?

2. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Although it may be my memory failing, I have read the unedited Rolling Stone interview and I do not recall ever seeing such a discussion.

3. StrawberryFields

StrawberryFields Active Member Thread Starter

Guy,
    The quote may have come from a radio interview rather than the Rolling Stone interviews. I will look through as much of my printed interviews as possible. If it's not there, than it was definitely on an interview which appeared on a broadcast. Either way, John brought up the issue.

4. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Not to prattle on about minutiae, but I might've thought that John was referring to the second dropout that occurs a little after the first, on the **opposite** side of the stereo image... which sort of "balances out" the first.

Now **that** could've been done on purpose, during an overdub... :)

-Kevin

5. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

I just dont think it sounds right without the dropout. I think everyone has gotten used to it. I thought it was cool that they were able to fix it on 1, but it just doesnt sound right.

6. John Hatter

John Hatter Senior Member

I've never read that anywhere ( and I've read a lot !).
    It may be that Lennon was referring generally to the "play it backwards" brigade, which we know he had some fun with.
    Apart from anything else I doubt whether he listened to the Stereo mix, all attention in those days was on the mono mix was nt it ?

Cheers
    John

7. StrawberryFields

StrawberryFields Active Member Thread Starter

J. S.,
    Lennon's comments regarding this issue were NOT about the backwards stuff. I have been checking my printed stuff and have not yet located it. If I don't find it soon, that means these comments were made on a radio interview. Unfortunately, I rarely taped these interviews. Even though I admit to being an aging baby boomer, I haven't yet gotten Alzheimer's Disease(at least I hope not)! Also, Lennon DID listen to the stereo stuff. In fact, on another interview (and this was a radio interview), he talked about how much he disliked some of the stereo mixes of Beatle tunes, coming down pretty hard on the stereo version of "Revolution," which he thought made "a heavy record" sound like "ice cream." This pretty much echoes Steve's earlier statements on this thread regarding stereo tracks of some Beatle tunes, and I agree with both Steve and J. L. here.

8. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

I have never ever ever heard the mono version of Day Tripper. Does anyone have an MP3 of it they can post? Or e-mail me? I would really really like to hear it.

(That's legal right? Since it's not commercially available...:rolleyes: )

9. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

It's just got that full sound that tends to make the song sound a bit hollow when hearing it in stereo in making a comparison. I'm coming from when hearing it in it's original 45 format as it didn't end up on an LP until "Yesterday and Today" was released in the US. It is Track 11 on the LP which was in Mono as well as "New and Improved Full Dimensional Stereo" :laugh: If you have a mono button on your system it should give you a good idea of the sound the Mono version has.:)

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I won't judge if it's charming or not, but it's definitely now part of the song. "DT" would sound weird without the dropout. I still haven't been able to get used to "Please Please Me" without the goofed vocals in the last verse, so I know I couldn't adapt to a dropout-free "DT"!

On a semi-related note, it's funny to think how hard-wired some of our musical memories become. I've been listening to the goof-free "PPM" for more than a decade and a half, while I only spent about eight years with the messed-up one. However, despite twice the amount of time with it, I can't erase the old memory and establish the new one.

In a more extreme example, the CD version of Big Country's "The Crossing" changed the song order for two tracks from the vinyl. The vinyl's songs four and nine switched places. I listened to the vinyl for barely a year before I got the CD, so I've had almost two decades of listening to the latter. Nonetheless, whenever "Chance" ends, my mind launches into "Fields of Fire" ala the vinyl, not "1000 Stars". I doubt that'll ever change...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.