"Daydream" albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by allthatglittersisnotgold, Jan 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allthatglittersisnotgold

allthatglittersisnotgold Part-Time Picker, Full-Time Grinner Thread Starter

We all have made playlists when we get bored, and some of us may have even formed up "what-if" albums. What are some of yours that you've made? I've built several "daydream" albums, but the one I love the most is Field Day, a daydream Neil Young album. The album is pretty much Comes A Time with the studio tracks from Rust Never Sleeps, and Lost In Space, which (from what I've heard) would have been on Oceanside-Countryside.

SIDE A:
    Comes A Time
    Lotta Love
    Sail Away
    Pocahontas
    Thrasher
    Motorcycle Mama

SIDE B:
    Lost In Space
    Already One
    Ride My Llama
    Human Highway
    Look Out For My Love
    Field Of Opportunity

Tell me what you think!

Neil Young - Field Day, a playlist by Jonathan Phipps on Spotify

2. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Rubber Soul...sans Run For Your Life.

3. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

I made this little Steely Dan alternate universe album which covers a post-demo, Pre-Can't Buy A Thrill period without overlapping with the previous demos or the album itself. I included two You Gotta Walk It tracks I like as well.

1. Running Child
    2. Dallas
    3. Sail The Waterway
    4. Megashine City
    5. Roll Back The Meaning

6. Dog Eat Dog
    7. Gullywater
    8. Canyon Ladies
    9. American Lovers
    10. Jones

1 and 4 are the recently leaked reel versions from early pre-Can't Buy A Thrill sessions.
    2 and 3 are from Plus Fours.
    5. and 6. are from the You Gotta Walk It Like You Talk It soundtrack. 5 has vocals by Kenny Vance.
    7. is the leaked Can't Buy A Thrill outtake with vocals (not the same song as the Katy Lied outtake [which is actually Funky Driver]).
    8. is by Navasota from their album Rootin' (Given to them by Becker and Fagen. It's a little heavy though works in that place.)
    9. and 10. are sung by Thomas Jefferson Kaye from his album First Grade (Given to him by Becker And Fagen, who also play on them. At the rarities night, the group played "American Lovers" with the female backing vocalists taking the lead vocal, and Fagen said that they regretted not including it on an album)

RandyP likes this.
  4. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

My attempt at a second disc for The Beach Boys' Sunflower if it had been a double album. Often seen as an unreleased record called "Landlocked", the actual history is more complicated as the group started an album whilst they were still at Capitol of which some tracks were scrapped, as well as producing a version that their later label Reprise was unhappy with, as well as having numerous outtakes. I think this one flows like an official release.

1. Soulful Old Man Sunshine (from Endless Harmony)
    2. Celebrate The News (from Friends/20-20 twofer)
    3. Good Time (from Made In California)
    4. Susie Cincinnati (from The Brother Years)
    5. San Miguel (from Ten Years Of Harmony)
    6. Take A Load Off Your Feet (from Surf's Up)

7. Break Away (from Friends/20-20 twofer)
    8. I Just Got My Pay (from unofficial "Landlocked" release)
    9. Games Two Can Play (from Good Vibrations)
    10. Back Home (from Made In California)
    11. When Girls Get Together (from unofficial "Landlocked" release)
    12. Loop De Loop (from unofficial "Landlocked" release)

fallbreaks likes this.
  5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I'm sure I am one of countless people that have compiled the John tracks from Double Fantasy and Milk & Honey, perhaps throwing in the Lennon vocal version of Every Man Has a Woman Who Loves Him, a version of Real Love, and some demos from that era.

6. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I need to do that, as I just can't ever get through either of those two John Lennon albums, thanks to those damned Yoko tracks!

John, I love you and I knew that you loved Yoko, but to throw her into nearly every other song on those albums was just cruel punishment, in my opinion. Thank GOD that Paul didn't do the same with Linda, just "out of spite". Both were fine (and YES, I use the word fine very liberally) "harmony" singers, but to actually give them a platform to perform on their own, just begs me to sadly think of Bill Haley singing "Get out in that kitchen and rattle those pots and pans" and save our ears from YEARS of torture!

7. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I have no problem with the Yoko tracks but they are such a different feel from the John ones I would be more likely to listen to those compiled on their own as well.

fallbreaks and DJ LX like this.
  8. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

"Rubber Soul"

side one
    I've Just Seen a Face
    Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
    You Won't See Me
    Nowhere Man
    Think for Yourself
    The Word
    Michelle

side two
    It's Only Love
    Girl
    I'm Looking Through You
    In My Life
    Wait
    If I Needed Someone
    Run for Your Life

(Sorry, Ringo.)

Folknik likes this.
  9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Very nice list. I really like both Drive My Car and What Goes On but feel they fit better on Y&T.

Folknik likes this.
  10. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Agreed! My lineup expands upon the intentional "folk-rock" programming of the US album.

Rfreeman likes this.
  11. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

This, for me, would be the definitive Rubber Soul. "Nowhere Man" and "If I Needed Someone" fit right in, but I feel that "Drive My Car" and "What Goes On" clash with the overall folk-rock groove of the album. "I've Just Seen a Face" made a great opening song, and I love the way "Girl" follows "It's Only Love" in the same key. Not sure if it was just a happy accident or if someone at Capitol finally grew some ears.

Rfreeman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.