dBpoweramp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by music4ever, Mar 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. music4ever

music4ever Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi

I need the program dBpoweramp to rip my cd to harddisk. To play them on my Bluesound.

But where do you get / buy this program?

Yes I can google, and get a lot of options. But how can I know it is legal, and there is no virus?

Hope someone can help med out here.

Happy easter

2. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

3. music4ever

music4ever Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well of course :)

Thanks.

timztunz likes this.
  4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Money well spent.

George P, joeriz, jamesc and 6 others like this.
  5. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

dbPoweramp is an excellent tool and my preferred ripping tool. It's funny that I still use two other tools, iTunes and XLD, for certain tasks. Though dBPoweramp Tagging is much more comprehensive I like the simpler layout of iTunes for basic tag changes. And for XLD I prefer using it for transcoding files again finding it easier and simpler. Other than that dBpoweramp is the way to go.

6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

It's a decent program for ripping CDs, but just be aware that there are often a truckload of unique CD pressings for any given album out there, and if it's not in the Accurate Rip database, then you won't get a confirmed "accurate rip" on dbPoweramp. This is why EAC is still better for ripping CDs even though it has it's own short comings (i.e. user friendliness, time it takes to do a secure rip).

7. mwheelerk

dBpoweramp absolutely does that also. If there is no match in AccurateRip it does two Secure and one Ultra Secure pass before completing the rip. If there are no errors in the CD itself that create problems with the rip then thats it. If there are then it continues on with several Ultra Secure passes (user adjustable) and if necessary it will then go through a process to re-rip/repair individual frames (there is something really messed up with the CD at this point).

patient_ot likes this.
  8. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

dBpoweramp and Accuraterip are the same company (Illustrate) with the same author (Spoon).

The only real advantage EAC has over dBpoweramp is the ability to recreate exactly the original CD better due to superior support for CUE sheets. dBpoweramp is more focused on ripping to tracks. Both will give you the same exact music data.

rbbert, tin ears and patient_ot like this.
  9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I've not used it in a few years (five years or more), so I was not aware of this feature. Is this a newer feature? How good is the secure rip compared to EAC's method?

10. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

I've analyzed many of my EAC / dBpoweramp rips through a hex editor (one that allows two side by side comparisons) and they are identical. The only difference is the code in the ID tagging.

smurfer and Dino like this.
  11. Oggy

Oggy Forum Resident

Excellent software, with fantastic support on the dBpoweramp / Illustrate forum. Music converter is also an excellent tool for converting to other formats. A friend uses EAC which obviously also gives great results, dBpoweramp is easier to use and more flexible.

12. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

dBpoweramp > EAC for the fact that it's more user-friendly.

XLD > EAC for the same reason.

Let's just be real. I hate EAC...

George P, boots and rbbert like this.
  13. I can't add anything to the technical discussion of dbpoweramp but one tip I found useful when ripping my CDs was to tick the box that ejects the cd after the rip is complete. That saved me a lot of time checking on progress.

quicksrt likes this.
  14. mwheelerk

Interesting only in that I recently decided to uncheck that selection. I agree it's nice to see/hear the ejection of the CD knowing that the rip is completed. However when that occurs you do get the pop up of the log information but rather than reading through that to check all was okay I prefer the user screen with the Accurate RIP icon which quickly reflects the RIP results whether Accurate, Secure or Error. With the auto eject that screen disappears upon ejection. A small personal preference.

George P and quicksrt like this.
  15. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I used EAC for years and never found it to be difficult to use. Then I tried to use it with Windows 7 and had nothing but problems. Haven't had the time to try it with Windows 8 or Win 10.

Been using dbpoweramp lately.

16. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

dBPoweramp for ripping and conversion
    Old Pre-beta EAC for peak levels and Pre-Emphasis location in SUB-Q Channel

George P and Randoms like this.
  17. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I love dBPoweramp. The batch ripper and batch converter are especially useful for those big projects.

quicksrt likes this.
  18. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Is there a way to have dBPoweramp apply de-emphasis to tracks when ripping so that you can take a CD with pre-emphasis, rip it, and instead of having a track with the PE flag (which may or may not be handled right by an eventual player) you get a properly de-emphasized file without the flag? I don't see anything about pre-emphasis in the list of DSP's that can be applied when ripping.

Randoms likes this.
  19. c-eling

No. I've asked Spoon quite a few times over the years to add a plugin and he refuses.
    Foobar 2000 works well.

20. agentalbert

Thanks. Guess I'll just stick to using WavEmph to manually do it. I'll look into Foobar, but I've never used it.

c-eling likes this.
  21. c-eling

WavEmph works great as well :)

22. agentalbert

Doesn't seem to be able to do everything in a folder at once, though. Have to do each file manually, or I haven't figured out how to do a batch. Another program I have called "cddemph" does do batches.

c-eling likes this.
  23. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

SoX can do deemphasis. It's a command line program. Use it in a batch file and it can process every file in a directory.

See this post for a batch file that will do it.

Randoms likes this.
  24. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

dBpoweramp is a great product, and the lack of de-emph, is a missing feature. Using SoX, seems to be the most popular solution on the Illustrate / dBpoweramp forum.

25. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

The dBPoweramp support is excellent. Some time again I had and reported an issue with a new PC not ripping via a USB optical drive. Spoon responded himself, tried a few patches, fixed the issue and it was properly fixed in the next update. Can’t complain about that for service.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.