De Agostini - Jazz at 33 1/3 rpm series in UK newsagents

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Willowman, Jan 20, 2016.

1. eddnix

eddnix New Member

I have just received issues 50 Dinah Washington - In The Land Of Hi-Fi and 51 Art Blakey And The Jazz Messengers - Drum Suite. Imagine my surprise to find Jaco Pastorius' eponymous debut leaping out of my speakers instead of Art Blakey. I'm really happy it is in the series, I thought it may be one of the ones they were skipping although I think I may prefer it with the correct labeling and album art!

heliocentric likes this.
  2. morris_minor

morris_minor Vinyl addict

My pair turned up today - just had to put "Drum Suite" on! And yes - it's not just your copy that's got Jaco P . . . .

eddnix likes this.
  3. eddnix

eddnix New Member

Hmm, I spent a while putting an entry in for it on discogs too. Guess I'll have to find out how to take it down or edit it in some way.

4. Graham Taylor

Graham Taylor New Member

Spoke to the subscription department explained several times increasingly EMPHATICALLY that just sending me another copy of Drum Suite was quite likely to simply duplicate the mistake since they all seemed the same. Anyway lady is sending another copy with no great quibble - my suggestion that she check with the publisher to see if all copies were affected seemed outside her programming - I expect to have two mislabeled copies of Jaco but we'll see...

5. morris_minor

I emailed D'Ag this morning asking when the real Drum Suite would be issued and Jaco issued with the correct sleeve. Don't expect too much of a response. Hopefully they'll have got a load of messages about this and realise it's not just an "isolated" mistake.

BTW did anyone else have the groove area of side 2 not concentric with the disc. So a "swinger" with the spindle hole not the cause . . . Very noticeable wow.

But I did like "Jaco Pastorius" - been a Weather Report fan for years, and also in to Chick Corea and Stanley Clarke too. Every cloud etc.

6. jamo spingal

jamo spingal Forum Resident

They changed their vinyl pressing supplier I believe. DPO weren’t good enough !

7. morris_minor

But maybe they had the ability to read the code on the master before making the stamper and putting it in the press?!

8. FangfossFlyer

FangfossFlyer Forum Resident

And mine.....

9. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

Can't help specifically with Newcastle but do you have an Asda handy? Our local Asda in Edinburgh (it's a megastore or whatever they call them now, it's big) normally has them in, and also the Beatles series as well.

10. jamo spingal

Which Asda ?

11. eddnix

eddnix New Member

I too have mailed them - here's hoping. My copy also has issues on side 2, apart from the off center wow mine also has some crackle on the outer and inner grooves not removable with any of my usual cleaning regime.

12. DKM

DKM Active Member

I think Asda stopped after the first few issues and just continued with the Beatles, but will try one of the other superstores. Cheers.

13. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

I have seen both at Asda at The Jewel, but having seen DKM’s recent response it seems that Asda may no longer be stocking them.....

jamo spingal likes this.
  14. FangfossFlyer

FangfossFlyer Forum Resident

I have also just emailed them on this and will see what happens.

Richard

15. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride

A quick heads up guys, just recieved an email regarding the Art/Jaco mix up, they’ve admitted it was a misprint and have forwarded this information on to the relevant department.

Nige

eddnix and morris_minor like this.
  16. Patrick Cleasby

Patrick Cleasby Hi-Res idiot

For those who don’t have art/jaco yet (I don’t), 52 is Joe Pass - For Django.

If my Art turns up correct, can I have one of you guys’ spare art/jacos please?

eddnix and jamo spingal like this.
  17. Jeff8

Jeff8 Member

I'm sorry if this has already been covered somewhere on this thread, but I didn't look through all 34 pages. Does anyone know if this company ships to the U.S.? I was going through the ordering process for some of their records only to come to a screeching halt when the shipping section on their order form only had a couple of European companies listed as options. :\

18. Gibson67

Had another email today guys regarding issue 51, they stated they were rectifying this and a corrected issue will be sent out shortly.

19. jamo spingal

Not to the US unfortunately. You can try eBay or perhaps try emailing them. They may have changed their policy.

20. Jeff8

Jeff8 Member

Thanks! I e-mailed them about the same time I posted here. Funnily, I was half-asleep at the time and e-mailed them later in the day from a different e-mail address, forgetting I had done so earlier. I got a reply to each e-mail from a different person on their team. Weirdly, one person told me they did ship to the US, but the other person told me they only shipped to the UK, Ireland, and South Africa! I almost thought about using one of the international parcel forwarding services, but for now I've actually found the main release I wanted on eBay.

21. Patrick Cleasby

Patrick Cleasby Hi-Res idiot

Also - 53. Miles Davis - Milestones. Yay!

jamo spingal and Daveymoore like this.
  22. eddnix

eddnix New Member

Now there's one I've really been looking forwards to!

23. Babysquid

Babysquid Forum Resident

Hi 1st time poster here. Just to let you know I received my Drum Suite last week and it was the Jaco lp. I’ve emailed them twice and had no reply. Has anyone here actually had this problem sorted out yet? I find it surprising that they appear to be aware of the problem yet continue to send them out.

Imagine70 likes this.
  24. Chris Treece

Chris Treece Forum Resident

Drum Suite was pretty much the only release of this series I wanted, having struggled to find a decent s/h copy. The jazz gods must be laughing their syncopated tits off.....

Gibson67 likes this.
  25. Gibson67

I’ve been in contact with customer services regarding this issue, My copy also turned out to be Jaco. They are aware of this problem or misprint as they quoted, I’m sure it will be corrected in time..but when who knows?