De Agostini - Jazz at 33 1/3 rpm series in UK newsagents

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Willowman, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Statochess

Statochess New Member

Hi all
    Stumbled on to this forum - looks very useful! I have a lot of the albums that are scheduled for inclusion in the series on CD - but I do really like vinyl. It sounds like lots of you have found the pressing of KoB to be very good which tempts me to go ahead and subscribe. I recently 'upgraded' my Zeppelin collection from CD to vinyl and really do hear the difference in my modest system. Any thoughts from any of you regarding going for this to supplement existing CDs?

2. Hi - depends entirely how much you wish to invest in it.

I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of my copy of KOB.

I've just subscribed because the first few offerings work out at a pretty decent price averaged out and if the vinyl is as quiet and clean as my copy of KOB was/is, then definitely worth it - and there are some reasonably decent freebies too.

If, after a while, you decide it's not for you, you can actually cancel your subscription at any time and have a few really good albums on what would appear to be good quality vinyl.

De Agostini will undoubtedly have factored into their business plans a percentage of subscribers bailing out at various staging points through the series.

It's unlikely that the whole series will be available in newsagents etc., and, if so, certainly not in multiple copies, as in the early stages, making it a little bit more difficult to pick and mix.

Or maybe you could find a vinyl and jazz loving friend to share a subscription with and come to an arrangement over which ones to keep.

Best Wishes,
    David

3. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Sony Jazz titles are pretty good on CD, they do take great care with them, and Jazz is not really a genre they tend to brickwall on CD, so perhaps the difference will be less than you have seen in the LZ stuff.

4. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Have you not been able to get Kind of Blue in any of the newsagents? €6.99 here in Dublin.

JG

5. Statochess

Statochess New Member

Will take a punt on this - sure it's payday!

6. markedasred

markedasred Forum Resident

Been to WH Smith twice for this, got one the third time. Totally delighted with the sound and attention to detail. Whilst the DOL issues in HMV & the like are CD transfers to vinyl, this is real analogue.
    Yes the KOB is a no brainer as I sent my only copy to someone on here and never got so much as the £10 postage back, so the gods are smiling on me for this as the first of the series. I think it is a thoughtful collection (based on the Italian list, and check out that De Agostini publisher, it is a repeat of their successful Italian series, but maybe more modest), and that focus on early modern give it the appearance of a well informed basis for a library, maybe for someone who got in to music in the CD era?. Problem for me is I have about 70% of the list as early pressings, and that is most of what I would want, perhaps 3 or 4 of the Italian issues would be welcome on the shelf.
    Most importantly, this is a vey good mastering and pressing. Just wish there was some info on who mastered it for this release. I daresay it was discussed a few years back on Italian sites when the first version of the complete project started.

Lord Rocker likes this.
  7. smartiepants

smartiepants Senior Member

My better half came home with this tonight, will give I a spin later, I do have the 50th blue pressing so will be interesting to play back to back

8. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

Picked up mine in Easons the other day. They had loads -Aisles of Miles you could say.

9. Lord Rocker

Lord Rocker Forum Resident

Keen to read your comparison. I have a UK 1st issue CBS stereo from approx 1960 and percussion though very natural sounding is a tad too loud in the mix - this issue has a better balanced mix without losing too much in the way of dynamics. A very enjoyable ride!

markedasred likes this.
  10. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I popped into Fopp Covent Garden yesterday and they had Coltranes Blue Train for £10 on vinyl. Checked the label and it was a DOL. So holding off until the 2nd edition of this magazine and will pick it up for the same price.

markedasred likes this.
  11. oh1

oh1 Forum Resident

Picked up the first issue today and I totally agree with the general consensus here a lovely quiet pressing the booklet being a nice addition which slips into the sleeve.
    Tempted to subscribe as even at £14.99 per issue it is still quite favourable to retail price of the stand alone albums. I will probably hold off until after the Coltrane release to see if the high standards are maintained.

12. Dublintown

Dublintown Forum Resident

Bought this yesterday (Eason's in Liffey Valley!) Played it this evening and it sounds really wonderful on my fairly modest system. Bargain of the year so far! (I might even pick up another copy or two as they're so cheap!)

Halfwit likes this.
  13. smartiepants

Mine sounds horrible about 2/3 way through the first track, almost like I have have a ton of crap on the stylus, drop outs all sorts of issues, I put my blue pressing on and its absolutely identical at the same point of the record totally unlistenable didn't notice it before but its only been played a few times, CD that came with the blue pressing is perfect, I'm well confused so I'm off to bed

14. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride

Well guys after how impressed I've been with the 1st edition I've decided that I'm gonna subscribe. My only concern is how will they arrive, I'm hoping that they will be packaged a bit better than than those on the newsagents shelves. I've a feeling however that they'll be simply put in a plastic bag.

Do you think that they will add more protection before been sent out in the post?

15. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

email: [email protected]

16. smartiepants

I think I need some stylus cleaner, it has happened again on vinyl that I know is usually fine, ignore my previous post regarding quality

17. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Picked this up this morning from Asda - they had loads, all in perfect condition on their own rack.

My first thought when I saw the TV ad was that it was another scheme to get hipsters to part with their money - seems I was being unfair! After reading this thread it sounds like they've put some care into it (although the spelling mistake on the front cover is a bit of a blunder!), and a fiver for a great pressing of KOB is indeed a no-brainer.

I'm not a huge fan of jazz, so while I may get the next one for £10, I think £15 will be where I bail out. But I'll certainly be keeping an eye on this thread, it'll be interesting to see if they can maintain the quality.

18. ANALOGUE OR DEATH

ANALOGUE OR DEATH Forum Resident

Just got a copy today from my local newsagents.Indeed excellent value.Vinyl seems to be of good quality with no nasty marks.Solid 180 gram.Nice facsimile of the Columbia 6-eye label.Together with the poster and booklet include it all adds up to a no-brainer for a fiver! Only slight disappointment was the lightweight card stock used for the sleeve,but again for 5 quid,no complaints.

On playing I found the pressing to be virtually silent in respect of crackles,pops etc.Detailing and sound staging was good if not of the exceptional quality of a MOFI or MM.Overall the sound was a little 'flat' and less organic than I would expect from an all analogue source,but as stated it was still pretty good. They state in the blurb that they have tried to use original master tapes whenever possible.However,it seems pretty obvious to me that a digital transfer has been used on this one,possibly from an analogue source,but a good quality one.I guess that this maybe the case with most if not all of the releases in this series,with a digital transfer from an analogue source being the lineage.I doubt very much that they have been able to source the original studio masters directly a la Music Matters or MOFI.But at the price point you wouldn't expect that.

Don't think I will be subscribing myself as having noted the intended releases from the website it's really the usual suspects with few surprises and I have about 80% of the titles already on vinyl.I may pick up a few titles that I don't have if they remain available locally,but how long they remain in the shops is anyones guess.However,for someone just either getting into vinyl or jazz it's a great way to obtain a nice 'classics' collection of decent pressings(as long as the standard is kept up) at a reasonable price,with free p&p.Certainly they beat the DOL issues into a cocked hat even at £14.99!

Ridin'High, Robert C, JC12 and 4 others like this.
  19. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

I was completely unaware of this De Agostini series until yesterday evening but was pleasantly surprised to see a magazine with vinyl on sale in Martins newsagents for £4.99. Played Side 1 so far and it does seem like a good pressing, a lot quieter in terms of surface noise than another reissue of KOB that I own. Very quiet actually.
    Very tempted to subscribe.

20. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride

Hi all

I've just recieved an reply from De Agostini regarding delivery by post. As another member has mentioned on this thread, they are using Royal Mail and they informed me that extra care and packaging will be in place for those who choose to subscribe.

I signed up yesterday and can't wait for the next one, I've been really impressed with my first purchase, should quality suffer later in the term, then I'll simply cancel.

stem and OneStepBeyond like this.
  21. Phil Tate

Wow, I'm listening to this now and I really wish I liked jazz more so I could justify subscribing, it's just exemplary. Beautiful, spotless and completely silent vinyl, and gorgeous sound. This puts to shame many new LPs I've paid two, three or four times as much for. Amazing.

Ridin'High, Lord Rocker and stem like this.
  22. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

Finally made it into town to pick up my copy. There were loads left on the shelf. It has come at a great time as I'll be setting my new speakers over the weekend and it is one genre that is seriously lacking in my collection. It is a shame it will probably be subscription only as there are a few of them I would like to pick up (billie holiday and Ella Fitzgerald particularly) but I can't afford to get it every month. Mind you, they quite often hold a few issues of the bigger partworks so might get lucky.

23. StephenM

StephenM New Member

Hello all, Very happy to be here. I am wondering what more knowledgeable people than me think of the list of records that will be available, presuming of course that the Italian list is the same that they are offering in the UK. Does the list provide a decent scope of the genre? Are they all regarded as classics within the genre? I am very new to jazz you see. Just got issue one and absolutely loved Kind of Blue so I am so excited about the rest of the series.

24. Phil Tate

And how ironic that the booklet actually mentions that musicians' names were misspelled on the cover of the original release! :doh:

25. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Bought four copies in Eason in Belfast this morning.