De Agostini - 'The Beatles Vinyl Collection' mail order set via subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OneStepBeyond, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Clearly, yes. Otherwise nobody would have mentioned it.

Anyway, moving on...

2. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

ill go listen again. maybe i have a fixed one. i didn't listen to the first one sent out

3. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Check and see if Side One has "A2" in the deadwax. This will confirm beyond all doubt that you have the new one if The Most Famous Chord In All Of Popdom™️ doesn’t already do that for ya.

4. culabula

culabula Unread author.

In fact, my A2 pressing of A Hard Day's Night just arrived. Wow! Only took 9 days this time from DeAgostini. A miracle.

Have to say, it’s a wonderful pressing.

This was swiftly followed by 1967-1970, the only one I missed over the Christmas period, bought new from a seller on eBay at a more attractive price than DeAgostini

Only took two days.

The DeAgostini collection is now complete and a fine-looking thing it is too. If only I had the boxes though, to go with them...

5. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

I emailed them 2 weeks ago and have had no response. Did yours just turn up or did they email to say it was on the way?

6. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Typically, they reply the next day and agree to send you one. They don’t make any further comment. If they didn’t get back to you after your email, then I’d contact them again. Did you use the correct customer service address to get in touch?

Mine turned up this morning in a much quicker turnaround time than is usually the case.

Somerset Scholar likes this.
  7. Paul Frewer

Paul Frewer New Member

Do it via Twitter. I sent 3 emails and had no response,put it on twitter publicly and within hours had a reply and one despatched

8. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Hard to fathom how some people still don't realise that these are re-cuts despite this being mentioned repeatedly in this thread and they do sound different. By and large these sound better than the 2012 editions.

wwright likes this.
  9. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

mine has A2 on it. ace

10. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

I'll have to try again I guess. I used the customer care email that I found on the website

11. culabula

culabula Unread author.

[email protected]

Beatlened likes this.
  12. Oh, yes you can. If you’ve heard the botched copy, you’d recognize how perhaps the most famous opening chord in history sounds like it starts mid-stride rather than actually being strummed.

13. It is completely obvious. It’s about 1/10th of a second knocked off. You don’t hear the attack of the guitar strings. Instead, it starts chopped-off.

14. According to the man who recut them, they sound the same. Waaaaaay back in the thread, I posted the info Fremer emailed me about his conversation with Sean Magee, wherein Magee says they sound exactly the same.

mpayan likes this.
  15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I tried two titles before concluding little difference though I slightly preferred the 2012 cuts. Minor differences likely due to plating and pressing plants used. I don't see how the new ones are a great improvement as some claim other than stamper wear.

16. I mean, I can understand differences attributable to the pressing plants, but when the guy who cut the lacquers says they sound they same, he probably had good reason to say that (i.e., he used the very same or extremely similar equipment in his mastering room and used the same settings for EQ, etc.).

17. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

I “lost the plot” several months ago - how are these releases available?
    Are they available now, ONLY to those that subscribed in 2016?

18. culabula

culabula Unread author.

They’re not "available". Subscriptions began in 2017 and are now finished. During 2017 and 2018, individual LPs were available on a fortnightly basis in certain shops and supermarkets.

The only way of getting them now is by ordering from the DeAgostini online shop. In order to so do, however, you must have an Irish or British postal address.

If you lived in Japan, you’d now be halfway though the release schedule.

lightbulb likes this.
  19. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Some of these Deagostini titles have significantly different amounts of deadwax compared to the 2012 versions. That in itself is enough to change the sound that is heard. These new pressings are cut with louder volume too. Several are outstandingly good eg With the Beatles and surprisingly the 87 mix of Help.

20. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

I’m sure it’s already been mentioned here, but it’d be great if they did the Mono albums as well, what with the 2014 versions going steadily out of print.

misterP likes this.
  21. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The lacquers sound the same most likely but the differences reported (very small) could be result of plating process and vinyl formula between Optimal and MPO pressing plants. There aren't big improvements or visa versa between the 2012 and 2017 pressing runs as some are convincing themselves.

22. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

In Spain too (they have With the Beatles in newstands right now).

23. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I didn’t know quite how many had been issued there yet. As my brother is collecting them in Japan, I was aware of the release schedule there.

24. Grooge

Grooge Forum Resident

So after receiving the final issues of my subscription, I cancelled the Direct Debit (just in case!), and lo and behold I get a letter from DeAgostini saying that they were unable to collect my next scheduled payment as the DD had been cancelled!
    I've checked and I have made all of the payments for the issue received, so no idea what they're trying to take payment for now!

25. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Probably just a standard and classic DeAgostini reaction.

Grooge likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.