De Agostini - 'The Beatles Vinyl Collection' mail order set via subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OneStepBeyond, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

That is the way the songs were mixed back in the day. No difference from your original copy

2. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Regarding the debate on analogue v digital. My ears overwhelmingly tell me that this is an all analogue pressing. The music is so rich and present and yes, organic, which is a good word to describe the difference. I am enjoying this release more than the Pepper 50th, for example.

ShallowMemory likes this.
  3. culabula

culabula Unread author.

It sure is. It’s identical to the 2014 release.

4. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

Really sounds it to me too.

It's actually been a while since I've listened to a few of these tracks, the early singles. Like many people, the Red & Blue albums were my introduction to The Beatles, played them a lot back in the 80s.

5. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Outside of the consensus that Help! and the Red Album are the ones to get, are there others in the series that are recommended?

Coming into this run late in the game, and regretting it.

6. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

I dunno why Help! Is being singled out there. Get them all

7. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident

Where has that been mentioned/publicised? i can't find anything about it?

8. stagnation

Exactly!!! its The Beatles - you have to buy them all....

9. parkgrover

parkgrover Forum Resident

I am just picking up the albums I don't currently have on vinyl in stereo....Beatles for Sale and Hard Day's Night both very nice (allowing for the opening chord error on AHDN). Will certainly get WTB and PPM and Past Masters when they appear, tempted by the Anthologies at the DeAgostini pricing but they have always been 'dip in' titles to me on CD

10. mp971

mp971 Forum Resident

The Lennon vinyl series, along with a selection of "best" solo Beatles Lps (I recall Ringo's "Stop and smell the roses"....), was proposed in an online De Agostini survey. Way more interesting in that survey - in my opinion - a reprint of Beatles singles with 60's covers from all the world. We will wait and see.. Revolver out in Italy this weekend!!

11. stagnation

The Anthology titles should be superior to what's already in print as we will get 180g vinyl, a new cut and fantastic price to boot.

Interestingly i was in Liverpool at the weekend and went into the "Fab Four Store" at the Pier Head ferry terminal and they were wanting £50 per anthology title on vinyl! :confused: Even some of the stereo vinyl albums were £30.

12. Kundera the joke.

Kundera the joke. Senior Member

It’s good to read the sound quality is ok for this release. I desperately need to replace my red vinyl issue that carries the scars of childhood and teenage abuse. Just haven’t got round to replacing it since. A stop off at the newsagents on the way home looks in order.

Sorry for asking a dumb question. I thought the stereo vinyl reissues were from a digital source.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  13. Jimbo Jobson

Jimbo Jobson Forum Resident

Yeah, that survey was where I heard this. To be honest, other than the proposed dvds I'd probably buy all them if the quality continues like this.

mp971 likes this.
  14. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Well it is and it isn't - it's a re-cut - the dead wax is different on all four sides - side three had the least difference - and there is a difference to the sound both in a subtle volume difference and the bass EQ has been very slightly thinned out compared to the 2014.

15. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

They are - but the 'red' and 'blue' albums have been cut all analogue from a 1973 compilation tape.

16. Kundera the joke.

Thank you JP. I didn’t know that. ‘Red’ and ‘Blue’ here I come.

Looking at the track listings across both albums always blows my mind. How one band in such a short time period can have such an output (as well as the many, many tracks not on there) is almost otherworldly.

I’ve been holding off getting the reissued stereo albums (pre White Album) in the hope for analogue editions. I’m not holding my breath though.
    Thanks for your reply. Very helpful. :tiphat:

JP Christian likes this.
  17. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member Thread Starter

Been said many times, yes, but I'll add my voice in any case... hearing Paperback Writer assault the senses on my new 1962-1966 yesterday afternoon, thinking how 'modern' it sounds in comparison to say, From Me To You which I'd just heard half an hour or so earlier, was stunning. And I love both of those singles! Yet another in this series that I'm VERY pleased to own.

18. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member Thread Starter

So, yesterday afternoon I went into my usual newsagents to get the latest in this collection because from issue 2 (I'm fairly sure it was) it has been out fortnightly, on a Wednesday, After seeing a lone copy of AHDN on the shelf, I asked if they were getting any further editions (!) I was told that it's on sale 'tomorrow'. I mumbled something about 'perhaps they've changed the publication date.' I will walk past there later today and see if that's correct - at least in their case.

Not too... err... convinced, I looked at this thread on my phone and saw people had copies so I went straight into town and looked in WH Smiths - seeing only one next to one of the tills. I bought that copy and asked the assistant if they had any more and she said they had a few under the counter. I suppose I could have said something about that but would hope that people would by now be asking if they didn't see any on display. :) I know I'd have walked out empty-handed on more than one occasion, otherwise. I asked if they knew how many came in that morning and it must be around half a dozen because mine was something like the third sold. We got onto the subject of taking out subscriptions and I had to mention that half the time it looks to be more trouble than it's worth and that I am hoping that they continue stocking these as long as possible. Which means the end of the series!

I didn't even notice the lack of inserts for subbing etc, until I read it above but the website was still offering magazine subs last thing yesterday evening - so maybe it was an 'oversight?' The new pressing is such quality product and even more pleasing that they gave us that insert as a little bonus. The quality of the whole package, how they could surpass it, I really don't see that could be possible.

Eagerly anticipating With The Beatles now...

19. horslips

horslips I'd rather be out on my bike!

As somebody said, a pair of polyliners would be nice but I don't really require perfection! The ancient Greeks said that perfection was the preserve of the Gods.

As an aside, I have noticed that quite a few of my Jazz collection arrive by subscription with the inner sleeves split where it touches the vinyl. All deliveries have been in very good condition packaging so it is unlikely that they get banged about too much in transit. Strange.

20. culabula

culabula Unread author.

In so far as it’s the 2014 exemplary reissue and not based say, on the the dreaded 1993s.

JP Christian likes this.
  21. culabula

culabula Unread author.

You’ll be waiting a while yet on the (DeAgostini) 'Blue', I fear.

Kundera the joke. likes this.
  22. Kundera the joke.

I’m in no rush. :)

23. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Mine too!

horslips likes this.
  24. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I ordered a copy of 1962-1966 from an EBay seller. My 2014 copy of the Red Album was pressed in the Netherlands, at the plant that presses the Music on Vinyl records.

I'm wondering what source is going to be used for 1. Will it be the 2015 version that contains the remixes? The 2015 vinyl edition was cut as a half speed master by Miles Showell. So, if Sean Magee cut the DeAgostini version, perhaps it is just a regular cut. I'm sort of curious.

25. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Love Me Do and She Loves You do not sound like fold-downs of the fake stereo versions.

JP Christian and DK Pete like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.