De Agostini - 'The Beatles Vinyl Collection' mail order set via subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OneStepBeyond, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Dublin city's flagship newsagent and bookstore only had about seven copies left when I got in at 5:00 this evening. I don't know how many they got in, but a large, high profile display section had been set aside for them (they did the same for the first Jazz at 33 LP) and it was looking very empty by then.

2. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Is that on the label of the record ? So there's not much difference really at all to the 2012 reissues.

I read it said they have all been remastered at abbey rd, the anthology's have never been remastered have they ? Is this new for them ?

3. heliocentric

heliocentric Forum Resident

Do you mean the photo choice or the printing?

4. Jack932102

Jack932102 Active Member

So if it basically the same master, what's the point of doing this set?

5. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Dozens of Abbey Road in Easons in Belfast.

6. culabula

culabula Unread author.

The label.

Carl80 likes this.
  7. culabula

culabula Unread author.

To sell more ?

No-on has to buy it, the only attraction for me is that they're pressed by MPO. I already have the first four and they are perfect pressings. I would like to pick up the very few that I don't have.

Carl80 likes this.
  8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Not the printing quality, just the layout of it is a bit of an eyesore. The photo choice isn't wonderful but it could look better.

9. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member Thread Starter

That'll be about the size of it - to 'catch' (for want of a better word...) more punters. And with the added booklets and other bits, to give it some sort of collectibility value, if you like that sort of thing. For a number of people, this would understandably have no appeal.

10. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Seem to be flying out in Belfast tonight.

Carl80 and OneStepBeyond like this.
  11. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Also...I never bought the 2012 on vinyl; just the monos in 2014. There may be others like me.

This is a painless method for me to pick up the most recent pressings, with maybe a contemporary advance in technology. I'm not that gone on these digital remasters but they're certainly lovely pressings.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  12. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

This was discussed a lot here in the forum.
    Even I had embarrassing experience about that just because I wrote "vinyls" couple of times, probably adopted that from the general public.

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  13. OneStepBeyond

I had no intention of buying any of the 2012 stereos... until I got the idea that I wouldn't mind having just Please Please Me because I thought it would be nice to have one with a 'replica' of the original black and gold Parlophone label. Especially with Stereophonic on it. That's how these things begin. :rolleyes: :D

I bought a few mono 2014s first of all and thought that was all I wanted or needed (!)

Man at C&A and andrewskyDE like this.
  14. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Yep...and I bought the 1995 PPM and MTB just to have the Capitol label on British LPs...and so it goes. On and on.

Disappointed that DeAgostini aren't including LIB...N because that's actually one that I don't have on vinyl.

andrewskyDE and OneStepBeyond like this.
  15. OneStepBeyond

I wouldn't worry about it. :) To be honest, it does amuse me to hear or read it - like I'm sure it must others - but I think that's because it's almost become an 'in-joke' on this forum. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't notice it much at all. Yes, I know our host started that thread on it and I made a few or more posts in there; one was about a book we had in a shop I worked in... it was there for months:
    [​IMG]
    I hear people around me say 'vinyls' and don't say anything about that because to them it's a valid word and in common usage. So, it's no wonder people say it a lot. I only ever say 'records' (or 'LPs,' 'singles', E.P.s' etc) when talking to old geezers like myself. And that's usually be on here, anyway. :shh:

I'm probably treading a thin line with some of what I said above - I don't wanna be banned. I take it all back!! :hide: :winkgrin:

andrewskyDE likes this.
  16. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Some people even adopted the phrase "my feels" instead of saying "my feelings", as being recent fashion in language(s).
    And nobody's complaining about that. So why no using "vinyls" sometimes, too? To me it just sounds like a short form to vinyl records or something. Anyway, sorry for being off-topic (again) ;)

17. OneStepBeyond

Wouldn't it have made more sense to include that, rather than 1962-1966/1967-1970 & Past Masters and the 1 album?

Speaking of which, I hope that they see this through to the last edition, in the newsagents, being that PM is one of the ones I want most and from the paperwork included with the first in the set, that the last one issued. I don't think it is likely, though.

Man at C&A likes this.
  18. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Sadly I can't buy this series here in Germany. Some guy in Italy sells couple of those LPs on Ebay but, of course, with a higher price.

19. OneStepBeyond

Oops. Neither the 1963 or 2012 say that... it's just Stereo. Sorry, folks - I've been up since very early this morning!

20. OneStepBeyond

How about Discogs?

andrewskyDE likes this.
  21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Ah yeah, I have an account there but use it very seldom. I should change that situation there sometime. Thanks for reminding me.
    [Edit:] I just checked Abbey Road as example there. The prices are higher than the original retailer price there, too. Not counting shipping.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  22. rogvp24

rogvp24 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, new user here. I'm thinking of subscribing but can anybody help me with this, what do they mean with the "Please tick this box, if you would like to receive special issue(s) at a price of £16.99 / €19.99 for a single album and £24.99 / €29.99 for a double or triple album."? Should I tick this? Is the premium sub worth it or should I stick with the standard one? Much thanks!

23. OneStepBeyond

Ah- it was a thought. Always worth checking back though and adding things to your 'wants' list. You never know. I'd have bought a load more items if it wasn't for the cost of p&p being much higher than I find on Amazon.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  24. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

How did they arrive through the post, the ones you received ? where they well protected, good packaging ?

25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Do you know when Beatles On Air is due?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.