Dead Can Dance Into the Labyrinth MFSL Silver LP is Terrific!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LeeS, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I have the Vinyl 180 pressing of Spleen and Ideal. The pressing is flat and dead quiet. I also have three pressings of the original UK. I prefer the originals.
    Where is it stated the Vinyl 180 pressings are tube mastered???

2. Ilovefooty

Ilovefooty Forum Resident

Just picked this up today and spinning now.....

It's breathtaking. Quiet, flat pressings that sound truly wonderful.

3. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I may have been thinking of another album. Spleen & Ideal and Within The Realm are more compressed than the originals according to the DR database. The MoFi Labyrinth sounds great. Hell, most of them sound great, but why the compression?

4. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I read it in an interview with the mastering engineer. Can't find it now.

EDIT:
    Found it.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  5. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

According to the link I posted above, that first album was remixed in digital by the original DCD engineer because he found "there were too many errors" on the analog tape master.
    It's this new mix that has this aggressive, abrasive sound, found on every reissue since 2008, not the fault of the Vinyl180 mastering. Check the MoFi SACD if you don't believe me. Compared with the original CD, that one sounds notably different. Because it is a different (and inferior IMO) mix.

Just take the time to do a little research yourself before you dismiss an entire reissue program on hearsay.

6. HiFi Guy 008

There's no mention of tube remastering there. None.

7. HiFi Guy 008

Correction: they mention digital converters with "valve outputs" - so there's your tube reference. My mistake.

8. Devilscucumber

Devilscucumber Forum Resident

I have had had repeated QC issues with Vinyl 180, not saying they all are bad, but after 4 replacement copies from Steve Young for Lisa Gerrard's "Mirror Pool" which were a: warped, b: scratched terribly(x2) and c: suffering from No Fill (I gave up eventually). Steve is a nice guy btw, (and was quite happy to send out defective lp's time after time, even when I asked him to hand pick a good one for me.....so frustrating).
    Also got a nice warped Serpents Egg from Vinyl 180, which was replaced with a good one, so not a good batting average generally. Even Steve admits there are some QC issues!

9. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

one question in general of MFSL "back in stock" I note that mofi reback in stock some titles
    so the question is, the second reprints are exaclty the same that 1st? are a reprints? or? SAME DEADWAX NUMBERS? some examples attached, any help?

Attached Files:

10. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Continuing with my exploration of the Vinyl180 reissues: I have only good things to say about Within The Realm Of A Dying Sun.

BTW, these were mastered by John Dent, who is also responsible for the ongoing King Crimson 40th Anniversary LP reissues that only get accolades across the board.

11. HiFi Guy 008

Did you get an acceptable copy of Serpent's Egg? That's the only one I've considered.

12. Devilscucumber

Devilscucumber Forum Resident

Yes, the replacement copy was excellent, though can not comment regarding sound quality vs an original 4AD pressing

13. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I got today the Spiritchaser 1st 4AD UK (Im a 4AD collector so I like have all 1st pressings)
    but intersting, the 1st disc is very heavy 180Gram or around and the 2nd disc is normal not heavy, very strange
    anyone have the 1st UK to check if your copy is like that?

14. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Do both discs have the same basic information (aside from A/B/C/D side designations) in the deadwax?

15. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

yes
    • Matrix / Runout (Side A): MPO DAD 6008 A¹
    • Matrix / Runout (Side B): MPO DAD 6008 B¹
    • Matrix / Runout (Side C): MPO DC̶AD 6008 C¹
    • Matrix / Runout (Side D): MPO DC̶AD 6008 D¹
    MPO press like many 4AD stuff...

16. HiFi Guy 008

Never knew about this. If that's an original pressing, I wouldn't worry about it.
    How does it sound? Should be demo-disc quality.

17. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I still not spin (later) and I don't have the mfsl to compare,
    demo-disc quality???

18. HiFi Guy 008

Oh yes, should be better than the MFSL. If it's in great condition, you have one very nice experience awaiting ya. I'm envious.

AaronW likes this.
  19. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

is new/unplayed... an archive copy,
    I just grade like NM because this is another example of a record that even new! discs come with very little faints marks of the damn! contact with original inner sleeves, record companies should be sell the records in plastic inner sleeves!!! not inside original sleeves... I think that very little faints dont affect the play but... looks ugly.

20. HiFi Guy 008

Get those records in proper sleeves! Those orig inner sleeves will trash them to hell.

21. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

yes I pull out with this technique:

later I put in plastic mofi sleeves.
    but even that have the fine hair lines... maybe when record workers insert the disc inside and the movement on the shipping and maybe the seller pull out to check the condition etc...

22. HiFi Guy 008

And clean it!

stenway likes this.
  23. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

With the copy that I have, record one is heavier.

24. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

oh thank you to confirm! I dont have a bootleg! haha
    very strange, one record heavier and other normal...

25. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Cool debate/discussion/argument.

I love great SACDs and almost every MFSL vinyl LP I've ever heard sounds amazing, but when it comes to Into the Labyrinth ever since I heard the advance promo copy of the original 4AD U.S. CD in 1993, it has ranked high among the most stunning, demo-quality CDs I've got. If I were inclined toward hi-rez skepticism (I'm not) this would be a highly effective weapon in support of the proposition that plain-vanilla Red Book done right can reach the height of audiophile excellence. FWIW I've never felt the desire or need for an upgrade or format switch. But I'm glad it continues to be loved and reissued with an eye toward letting this fantastic recording shine.

stenway likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.