Dead & Company: The Grateful Dead Is Resurrected (Again), This Time With John Mayer *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by segue, Aug 5, 2015.

1. wavethatflag

wavethatflag Your Ad Here

I'm going to TerrapinCrossroads on Friday and Ross will be the guitarist, so hopefully I get a better impression. I may need to mellow out on this issue a bit.

budwhite likes this.
  2. Erik B.

Erik B. Forum Resident

I've seen him a few times. He's pretty bland.

wavethatflag likes this.
  3. wavethatflag

That seems to be the consensus. But I gotta hope for the best. Small room, it'll be pretty cool. Ticket was only $46 with fees. They're doing E'72 Vol. 2.

Had Dead & Co.'s "Dark Star" from Flushing 2016 come up on shuffle today. Mayer Dead holds up on the re-listening.

RayS, budwhite and Erik B. like this.
  4. Erik B.

Erik B. Forum Resident

I like Mayer Dead.

xj32, RayS and wavethatflag like this.
  5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Forum Resident

That approach has been working for me.

Waymore Lonesome and Erik B. like this.
  6. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Forum Resident

Agree, I liked the Phil and Friends shows with Warren better than others I saw (was out of the country and missed the Warfield shows with Trey and Page in '99 though). I thought Ross James was solid enough when I saw him with Phil last week.

budwhite likes this.
  7. LandHorses

LandHorses Forum Resident

I got both Madison Square Garden.

Mediocre seats, but fine with it. I didn't feel like trying for GA floor.......especially the Tuesday show where I'm going to be coming in later from work.

2 Dead & Co MSG, and Phil Asbury Park.............I'm set up for all the post-GD I need this fall.

Ray29, budwhite, thewolfshead and 2 others like this.
  8. Daryl M

Daryl M Forum Resident

I agonized about going to the July Detroit show. Ultimately I passed. When I saw the
    set-list, I sighed: `Truckin'', `Playing In The Band', `Dear Prudence', et al. So I ordered
    the CDs from Nugs and the show is terrific. I am not a Mayer fan but that was a tremendous
    concert (that I should have gone to).

ianuaditis and budwhite like this.
  9. thestereofan

thestereofan Forum Resident

Warren Haynes' version was terrible. I walked out at half time. These tribute shows are never that good and us Deadheads are not young so it's a senior fest every time. No more for me.

10. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I'll continue to say that the current version of the band is worth seeing. The Wrigley shows were excellent (and worth listening to after the fact). They are putting on a good show. Is it E 72? No. Set your expectations for a fun night of Dead music and you will be rewarded. If you will spend the night lamenting what/who isn't there, this isn't for you.

11. Waymore Lonesome

Waymore Lonesome Active Member

Let's remember, a lot of us want Bobby playing with a certain guy that Phil Lesh may or may not like on lead guitar, preferably 12 months a year, so there's a bit of sore feeling. I'm glad so many people are having fun and are pumped for this band. Also, I think Bobby's singing great the last few years.

12. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Currently watching set 2 Blossom on YouTube.

13. wavethatflag

I gotta ask, who?

14. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Forum Resident

obviously I wasn't who said it, but I presumed he meant kimock?

15. It really is a great vibe at the shows. Dare I say it's the closest any of the post-95 incarnations have had to that crowd vibe of what it used to be.

wavethatflag likes this.
  16. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I do wish they would play about 20% louder. Drown out a little more of the chatter. Summertime outdoor shows with daylight during Set 1 seems to keep everyone talking.

ianuaditis, RayS and budwhite like this.
  17. wavethatflag

Never was much of a Kimock/Ratdog fan, although I went to several shows. Some were definitely better than others. I've seen really good Ratdog and meh Ratdog. My first two shows at the Fillmore in SF were Ratdog, so I guess that's something. I'd never been that close to the stage at any show featuring Weir, so that was cool.

Went to Terrapin last Friday and saw Phil, Grahame Lesh, Stu Allen, Holly Bowling and I don't know the name of the drummer. It was really good, they did Europe '72 Vol. 2 but got really creative within the set list as far and going out of songs, into others, and then back. Stu Allen was totally doing Jerry, and I encourage that behavior. Phil's son is a really good guitar player, played all the Bob rhythm parts and also took some leads, sang all the Bob songs.

ianuaditis, Crispy Rob and budwhite like this.
  18. ianuaditis

Does Dead and Company do Victim or the Crime?

Weir should probably drop a couple of the Jerry songs and stick with his last GD masterpiece.

I think Mayer could do it some justice.

LandHorses and hyde park like this.
  19. LandHorses

Fall Tour starts tonight!!! (OK, there was the Band Together benefit a few nights ago)

Time to bump this thread.

I'll be at MSG tonight and Tuesday.

---------
    I'd also love to see them play "Victim or the Crime."

20. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

From JM on Instagram:

Instagram post by @johnmayer • Nov 12, 2017 at 6:56am UTC

We’re about to begin what I believe in my heart will be the best tour so far for @deadandcompany. Something is definitely spinning up in the air around us. But as I sit at the end of my bed with my guitar in my hands I feel like I need to post this. I’m only here as an interpreter of a master. This band has developed a soul all its own but I play in constant emotional, psychological and musical deference to Jerry Garcia. I suppose I thought it would become easier each tour to stand on that stage and go reaching for that sound and those colors, but it in some ways it gets harder - the deeper I go into the music, the more I realize what it deserves. Just know that with every show we play, I’ll never forget why it is I’m standing there. This is the great ongoing privilege of my life. See ya round campus. ⚡️

21. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

I will be at the show tonight. Can't wait. I saw Dark Star Orchestra on Friday night. It was an absolute blast. Musically they are not in the class of Dead and Company but they were plenty good and everyone in the venue seemed to be having a great time. Going to see some form of Dead music makes the experience of listening to all the old soundboards more impactful for some reason. While not the same, the spirit lives on at these live shows.

22. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

The Other One tonight was really good.

adamos likes this.
  23. ianuaditis

I didn't realize they did "Days Between" too. So they already have Bob singing Garcia's best post coma song, so all they need to do is add Weir's. (I know I kind of ripped on Weir doing Garcia above, but I do like his rendition of Days Between.)

I might have to sign up for twitter just to tweet at mayer to play Victim already.
    I posted the following verbatim in the Grateful Thread, and I think it bears repeating here, for as much as I never liked John Meyer, and I'm still not completely sold on whether he works as 'Jerry,' his attitude reminds me of these quotes, and every new thing he says just drives it home a little more:

I know people have mixed feelings about Dead and Company, DSO, etc. but I was at a little GD cover band festival the ski mountain in my moms town puts on every year this past summer, and in relation to that experience I couldn't stop thinking about these quotes from the recent film

Bob: "Jerry wasn't interested in building something that will stand the test of time, but I don't think that what we see as time can put an end to what we had. "

Jerry: "What I'm hoping is to be able to see some way of extending this idea beyond ourselves, you know? I mean I want to be feeling that this idea can continue without us. It doesn't have to be the Grateful Dead, but something. Kerouac's books opened up doors for me that put me in this life. I would like to do that for somebody else, you know what I mean?

And then it will be there for anybody who's got the spirit to go for it."

Ellsworth, adamos, budwhite and 2 others like this.
  24. LandHorses

I enjoyed tonight, but it did have a 1st night of tour feel at times.............even Bob mentioned in the 1st set about shaking off dust and rust. My highlights were "Cumberland Blues," " I Know You Rider," "Ship of Fools," and "The Other One."

Tonight were the live Dead & Company debuts of "Greatest Story Ever Told" and "Beat It On Down The Line."

footlooseman, RayS, adamos and 2 others like this.
  25. ianuaditis

I'm enthused they are breaking out the Weir chestnuts.

Did anyone on this thread who saw any of the Oteil and Company shows this fall (or whatever it is, his solo band with all the Garcia tunes) care to comment on those setlists?

@DrLunchbox I believe attended one of those...