Dead & Company: The Grateful Dead Is Resurrected (Again), This Time With John Mayer *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by segue, Aug 5, 2015.

1. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member Thread Starter

After reading this I'm even less confident any great original musical moments will come from "& Co."
    Nothing about Mayer seems organically developed. He's a fine guitarist technically, but every lick he plays sounds like someone else.
    I have no idea what his original guitar sound is.

2. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Dan Hicks & The Hot Licks Featuring An All-Star Cast Of Friends is the only Dan Hicks music I have, but it's a good one. "How Can I Miss You..." is on it.

I got carried away. But Mayer saying he wants to cut a GD jam in half bothers me.

JRM likes this.
  3. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

To answer to unasked question....no, nothing is sacred.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  4. highway

highway Forum Resident

This thread has taken one of the dumbest turns I have seen on this forum.

The "quote " from jambase was an attempt at sarcastic humor -it got worse because people thought it was for real.

rcb30 and budwhite like this.
  5. wavethatflag

Maybe it was my little tribute to Orson Welles' War of the Worlds radio play. I sincerely apologize to anyone who suffered death, injury or pecuniary loss (including damage to John Mayer or Katy Perry physical media or digital files) due to my post.

6. Andy Boyd

Andy Boyd Forum Resident

Jill.

7. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

geez i hope he gets past TJ!

8. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Huh?

9. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I wish they'd held out for Ryan Adams.

10. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I would have reacted very differently to that announcement.

11. wavethatflag

At this point, I think it would be great if they would tour with someone like John K. (even though Billy thinks what John K. does is "disrespectful") and just keep this thing under the radar with whichever Deadheads want to show up. As much as I enjoyed FTW, the lead-up to the event was sort of excruciating--untested band, venued in a stadium, people complaining about ticket prices, people in different camps about Trey, 90 percent of the media stories being ill-informed and therefore kind of useless, etc. And now, more hype and uncertainty with John Mayer, a guy with no "jam band" pedigree whatsoever, as far as I know, and who wants to make the jams half the length.

Well, at least they brought the ticket prices way down.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
    bmoregnr likes this.
  12. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

Looks like all the vocals will be Weir and Mayer. Oteil doesn't sing, right? Jeff doesn't. If Mickey does, I can't imagine even he would subject people to more than Fire on the Mountain. That means presumably that everything sung by Bruce, Trey or Phil at GD50 will be sung by Mayer, unless Bobby takes on even more songs. Kinda surprised they didn't get someone like Joan Osborne on board.

13. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

The only reason I am happy about NO PHIL is I won't have to listen to him sing.
    Man, he was dreadful at the FTW shows.
    Still plays a mean bass though.
    I saw John Mayer and Bob Weir do a couple of tunes on late night TV and it wasn't bad at all.
    I hate his own music but when he does covers, he is pretty good.
    I agree it all died 20 years ago this month.
    Glen

14. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

How was Warren Haynes when he was playing with The Dead? Love his work with The Allmans and Govt Mule, but never heard his work with the guys. Only thing I do remember was him talking about using a completely different setup with The Dead as he didn't feel his usual sound fit the group.

15. wavethatflag

I saw him with the Dead in '03 and '09, and had no complaints. He is a much more direct player than Garcia, if that makes any sense, not as busy as Jerry, but I thought he did a good job playing Jerry's parts. Plus, vocally he's got the rasp that makes him almost a dead ringer when singing Brent Mydland tunes. I preferred Trey at FTW, though.

16. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

I thought it was funny - like the Onion. :righton:

wavethatflag likes this.
  17. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

just 1 date set so far?

18. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

They should be doing it with rock guys. Someone who was there when rock was like Steve Miller. Ideal candidate.

Fullbug likes this.
  19. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

No.

Just...no.

20. EProphet

EProphet Forum Resident

Steal Your Face----> Steal Your Money

Dead & Company----> Dead & DBag

21. Bingo

Bingo Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    The dog came by and I got on, that's when it all began

Fullbug, ronbow and J Vanarsdale like this.
  22. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

23. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

He was good with the Dead but was excellent doing the symphonic Jerry Garcia tributes! I wish those shows would be released officially. Some are on YouTube tho if you want to check out. I went to the Tanglewood show the first year and was blown away.

BNell and jwoverho like this.
  24. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

In my opinion, Warren was the best guitarist and singer sit-in among them all. I've seen him with various members of the dead, including the 10-year post death celebration of Jerry's life at the Greek in Berkeley and perhaps my favorite was at Terrapin Crossroads. He is obviously a huge fan and has the ability to play and sing dead material at a very high professional and soulful level that makes this old deadhead get goosebumps and huge servings of joy.

Zafu

Fullbug and jwoverho like this.
  25. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Before I lost interest entirely in Phil & Friends shows, I saw several. The ones with Warren were definitely less boring, although not enough less. He is an excellent player and I liked the fact that he brought his own style to the mix, but integrated it well.

Zafu likes this.