"*%#@$*&%" Deadwood

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by crimsoncing, May 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member Thread Starter

'Deadwood' may be done
    HBO not picking up options on actors

Friday, May 12, 2006; Posted: 8:36 a.m. EDT (12:36 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- The upcoming third season of HBO's "Deadwood" might mark the end of the dark Western.

The pay cable network has opted not to pick up the options of the actors on the show, releasing them to pursue other projects.

"Deadwood" creator David Milch is shifting his attention to "John From Cincinnati," a one-hour project he is writing for HBO. The surfing-themed drama has been ordered as a pilot, subject to finalizing deals on the financial and talent side.

HBO sources said there are conversations about the future of "Deadwood" beyond the third season, which premieres June 11. But with the actors moving on to other commitments, it is highly unlikely that all the main cast members would be available to do additional episodes in the future.

HBO is a unit of Time Warner, as is CNN.

2. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

I really like this show.this aint good f***ing news.(To use the Deadwood venacular.):D

3. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

:realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad:

Oh well, I guess it's good to know before we even start the new season. I will just be sure to savour it even more. My favorite show currently on TV, and probably in the Top Five of All Time.

"I wonder how cavalier your attitude'll be if a pig is gnawing through your vitals."

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...that really truly totally unequivocally indubitably SUCKS!!!!!

5. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

I read an interview with Milch where he says that he wanted to end season 3 with a certain event but they didn't get there so they were gonna start season 4 with it. If they really don't do a season 4 and this is true, then the show will end on a weird note.

6. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Yeah, those dirty c***s***ers!

7. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

:biglaugh:

8. Sarchi

Sarchi New Member

That would really suck. I can't understand how this show hasn't done better at the awards shows. The writing, directing, acting, costumes, cinematography are all top notch-- by far the finest tv series ever made. It's in a league of one. Maybe too far ahead of its' time??

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

LANGUAGE...

10. b&w

b&w Forum Resident

11. Sarchi

Sarchi New Member

meaning....that's the reason it hasn't caught on with viewers? :thumbsdn:

12. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

what he said!

13. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

what he said!

14. Rando

Rando Active Member

HBO is getting in the habit of cancelling good shows that fans really like to watch. I'm sure there's more going on "behind the scenes" than we know from the press release, but still ... first "Carnivale", now "Deadwood" is gone. "The Sopranos" is probably done after the next short-season in January 2007.

So what's left? "Big Love" (good, but not an anchor show IMO), "Rome" (sorry, but that one kinda bored me) ... maybe another season of "Curb Your Enthusiasm", more "Entourage". They need to get the new Alan Ball series on pronto. :p

15. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I think the language is definitely too far ahead of it's time. I seriously doubt they were that profane back then. I'm no prude, it's simply the same as when you see a modern haircut in a story that is set in another time period. It kinda ruins the effectiveness of it all, no matter how good the other elements (acting, direction, etc.) may be.

16. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Miners were notorious for their gutter mouths. If someone like Al Swearingen didn't say "f___" every 4 seconds before he opened a business where almost all his clientele spoke like that, he certainly would pick it up quickly.

17. mr mxyzptlk

mr mxyzptlk New Member

I suppose I'm gonna get crucified, but I've caught portions of a couple episodes while traveling and the frequency of the f-words etc. just makes it ridiculous to me... they obscure the plot, and the scenes shift too fast for my tastes too. I do get laughs out of the antiquated speech peppered with modern obscenities though. By the way, I did some net surfing on this a few weeks ago and people in the old west didn't use those words.

18. andyinstal

andyinstal Runner for Others

The documentary I saw and from what I have read online, this series was researched a great deal to be authentic in every way. I don't think they would ruin all of the work to be authentic by dropping f bombs that should not be there.... or c bombs in this case.

19. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

I just love how everyone assumes the obsceneties have to be modern.

20. mr mxyzptlk

mr mxyzptlk New Member

Ummm... I didn't assume, I did web research and found an article where an Old West scholar had been interviewed about the profanity in Deadwood and said it wasn't authentic... that telling someone to go to hell or calling them a bastard was extreme in those times. I kinda think if people spoke like that in the late 19th century West it would have been revealed before now.

21. mr mxyzptlk

mr mxyzptlk New Member

22. Sarchi

Sarchi New Member

Deadwood is almost Shakespearean in its' use of the English language. The dialogue is very eloquent and very unromantic. Plots are complex and fast moving. There are crass characters as well as more gentle souls...it's a frontier town. I have trouble imagining the writers of this show ever finding themselves unemployed.

I believe that'll be the show's lasting legacy..along with Ian McShane's amazing performance. :righton:

23. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Well yes, they fictionalised some of the events. The DVD extras point some of them out, so there's no secret there.

As for the language, it is agreed an known that the language was horribly filthy. I would argue that if "crap" and "bitch" was considered as filthy then as f___ is today, then it's more "realistic" to have them use f___ in the show. To have someone on modern TV yell "go to hell!" is comical, not menacing.

24. mr mxyzptlk

mr mxyzptlk New Member

That's true. Although using f-u-you know the rest every ten seconds is somewhat comical too. The more often it's said, the less impact it has.

25. andyinstal

andyinstal Runner for Others

Yeah, my wife and I usually bet on how many c words are used in the first 10 minutes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.