Deafheaven new album and tour dates

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Greenalishi, Apr 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real Thread Starter

deafheaven announced tour dates and a new album coming soon. I'm excited. Great band live. And each album really moves their sound forward. What do you think?

Deafheaven Announce Tour, New Album Ordinary Corrupt Human Love

Their recently released “Honeycomb” is the LP’s first single

[​IMG]Deafheaven
    [​IMG]
    Deafheaven, photo byCorinne Shiavone
    Deafheaven have announced their new album called Ordinary Corrupt Human Love. It’s out July 13 on Anti-. The record includes their just-released new 11-minute song “Honeycomb.” The album’s title was inspired by Graham Greene’s 1951 novel The End of the Affair. It was produced by Jack Shirley.

Ordinary Corrupt Human Love follows their 2015 release, New Bermuda. Deafheaven will be touring behind their new record this summer—see the full itinerary below.

Check out Pitchfork’s track review of “Honeycomb,” and read “Deafheaven, Lana Del Rey, and California Malaise” on the Pitch.

Deafheaven:

07-11 Phoenix, AZ - Crescent Ballroom ^
    07-13 Dallas, TX - Gas Monkey ^
    07-14 Austin, TX - The Mohawk ^
    07-15 Houston, TX - White Oak Music Hall ^
    07-17 Orlando, FL - The Social ^
    07-18 Atlanta, GA - The Masquerade ^
    07-19 Carrboro, NC - Cat's Cradle ^
    07-20 Richmond, VA - The Broadberry ^
    07-21 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club ^
    07-22 Philadelphia, PA - Union Transfer ^
    07-24 Brooklyn, NY - Brooklyn Steel ^
    07-25 Boston, MA - Royale ^
    07-26 Montreal, Quebec - Theatre Fairmount ^
    07-27 Toronto, Ontario - The Opera House ^
    07-28 Detroit, MI - El Club ^
    07-30 Chicago, IL - Metro ^%
    07-31 Milwaukee, WI - Turner Hall ^
    08-01 Minneapolis, MN - Cedar Cultural Center ^
    08-03 St. Louis, MO - The Ready Room ^
    08-04 Lawrence, KS - The Granada ^
    08-05 Denver, CO - The Oriental Theater ^
    08-07 Salt Lake City, UT - Metro Music Hall ^
    08-08 Boise, ID - Neurolux ^
    08-10 Seattle, WA - The Neptune Theatre ^
    08-11 Vancouver, British Columbia - The Imperial ^
    08-12 Portland, OR - Wonder Ballroom ^
    08-14 San Francisco, CA - August Hall ^
    08-17 San Diego, CA - Brick By Brick ^
    08-18 Los Angeles, CA - The Wiltern ^
    ^ with Drab Majesty and Uniform
    % with MONO

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  2. Ryan Capuano

Ryan Capuano Well-Known Member

Nice! Sunbather is an absolute masterpiece and I was a big fan of New Bermuda, too, so I am most certainly on board.

3. Frank Field

Frank Field Forum Resident

Great news.
    Waiting patiently for European dates!!

Greenalishi likes this.
  4. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

New track Canary Yellow has just been released, and it's a belter. Can't wait for this new album!

funknik and Greenalishi like this.
  5. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

Greenalishi likes this.
  6. Greenalishi

Gonna see 'em in August. I'll get the new record then. Worth seeing live. Saw 'em open for Danzig and they were so f in good. Just otherworldly and rockin'.

Halfwit likes this.
  7. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

8. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

I just picked the vinyl up in town this morning. Giving it a spin now. It's 33rpm though, rather than their usual 45rpm. I already listened to the album stream a couple of times, so I'm familiar with it. Great stuff.

funknik, paulbright81 and Greenalishi like this.
  9. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Finally listened to the album this morning... Nice way to wake up! On first listen it's not to the level of Sunbather but I think I prefer it to New Bermuda. I'll be listening a lot more I'm sure.

funknik, Neonbeam and Greenalishi like this.
  10. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Picked up the new Deafheaven today on blue vinyl. Currently playing Sunbather on 45.

11. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

I really like this new album. Somehow I’d not paid much attention to New Bermuda until giving it a listen yesterday — which quickly resulted in ordering that record. I may just go see these guys in early August...

Echoes Myron likes this.
  12. Greenalishi

August 14. I'll give my two cents on it. But, this is how i heard of 'em. Seeing 'em open for Danzig. Was blown away. Great live. Better than on wax. Really excited to see 'em.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  13. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Saw the final European concert of "New Bermuda" and it was amazing. Myrkur played before them.

Greenalishi likes this.
  14. Greenalishi

Wow, what a cool show. Myrkur is on my list to check out. She was mentioned in a couple Aomeba What's in my bag? episodes.

15. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

I saw them last night. What an amazing show! Really surprisingly great sound too. Can’t say I really enjoyed the openers, though.

Here’s a very amateur photo I took.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  16. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Saw them last night and it was great! Inter Arma opened and were stunning too. Always amazing how quick these Deafheaven shows fly by. They really fok with the fabric of time! (To quote Tony Visconti completely out of context:evil:)

17. Echoes Myron

Finally getting around to spinning the new album. Very nice!

18. Echoes Myron

New acquisition. Saw this copy of Sunbather at my local shop and could not pass it up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Finally picked up Ordinary Corrupt Human Love. Something really appeals to me about Deafheaven. Can't really put my finger on it. The blend of metal / post rock / indie rock / near-ambient is just so unique. I'm not a metal head at all, and I'm not massively into screaming, other than Isis & Deftones. The more melodic stuff. On this album the vocals seem to be set back in the mix just enough for me. They never totally overpower the music. Some of the calmer instrumental stretches on this record are superb. That they namechecked influences as Slayer, Low, Metallica, Oasis, Morbid Angel, Red House Painters & Wilco in the New Bermuda interview, is something I find hilarious. I love Red House Painters & Low but would not expect to hear metal influenced by them really. Great band, Deafheaven.

20. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

Oh, man. I REALLY dislike the latest song, “Black Brick” - is this a new direction? Should I be worried? It’s fine, just way too straight ahead metal for me. Getting tix to see them in March, hope it’s not all blast and no gaze.

Greenalishi likes this.
  21. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

the whole spoken word thing is very reminiscent of Mark Koezelek’s work, and I think some of their ambient, minimalist sections definitely recall the influence of Low. Cool that those guys listen to good music - I find myself more and more drawn to music like this, whose music is maybe outside of my genre preference, but I can tell the people in the band have great record collections and listen to a lot of different music.

22. theeculprit

theeculprit Active Member

Yeah, that song's a stand-alone. You should check out the album from last year (what this thread is about). It's pretty melodic. I think it could be trimmed of a couple tracks, but it's a good record.

Excited for their new tour!

Greenalishi and Echoes Myron like this.
  23. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

Oh yeah - I LOVE Ordinary Corrupt Human Love - I was very surprised to learn that “Black Brick” was an outtake from that album since it’s such straightforward metal. That song just seems like a regression for the band. I am excited to see them, regardless - I like all of the albums, but that one track is . . . boring.

Greenalishi and Echoes Myron like this.
  24. Greenalishi

I hope they do all kinds of stuff. Kinda glad their branching out. Saw 'em twice. Great dynamics to their stuff. The Cure and Slayer. Love it.

The guitar player need a treble booster or non humbucker pickups. The first time i saw em you could hear the guitar fine second time he had a cool Les Paul but you couldn't hear him anymore.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    Echoes Myron likes this.
  25. Greenalishi

Listened to the new song. Eh. Not my thing. But i can see it. That's their roots. Go for it. You can't just repeat yourself. Little variety in a live set is cool.

funknik and Echoes Myron like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.