Dean Martin's "Dream With Dean - The Intimate Dean Martin" now available on SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by soundboy, Jun 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Interesting to see a Dean Martin "Reprise" album getting a hi-rez treatment. I have found, by using the CD reissues that Collector's Choice Music put out of Dean's "Reprise" albums, that the tapes (or at least the ones that they used), were in pretty bad shape (sound wise), on quite a few of those 2-fers. I believe that Dean's "Reprise" masters are now in the hands of his children, just as Frank Sinatra's "Reprise" masters are in the hands of his.

For me personally, while I find the "Dream With Dean" album an interesting listen, it is not one of my favorites of his, as it's a little too laid back, even for Dean!

3. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

No matter what, another SACD release of an interesting album is worth celebrating.

George P likes this.
  4. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

5. triple

triple Senior Member

Thanks for this! I never realized that this was coming...:wave:

6. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

SONY have the rights to put his albums out since last year.

Vic Anesini has done the MASTERING for these disc"s.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...log-comes-to-legacy-recordings-245977121.html

jupiter8, Chris C and bluesbro like this.
  7. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

George P likes this.
  8. Chris C

:confused: You're not a fan of Vic's mastering work? I usually quite like it myself.

dalem5467 likes this.
  9. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I can't say I am familiar with it. Just commenting that this one AP project is different from the others you listed. AP products are generally of the utmost highest quality from top to bottom. The 45 RPM of this album by them is one of the finest sounding I've heard.

George P, Jayson Wall and MLutthans like this.
  10. Chris C

I agree that AP does put a nice "extra" touch of care to their releases. As for Vic's mastering work, it is often similar to the approach used by Steve Hoffman, as Vic also tries to keep things as natural sounding as the original release. Outside of a few remixed projects, Vic usually keeps things pure and real, with little tinkering with the sound. I quite enjoyed the recent 2-CD set on SONY, that Vic did called "The Essential Dean Martin".

11. triple

triple Senior Member

Has anyone got this sacd?

12. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Ordered the SACD today from jpc!

13. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Really? Hard to believe:cheers:

14. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

The sound quality is just terrific.

George P likes this.
  15. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I'm sure it is and I'll be getting it from Amazon...eventually :cheers:

16. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

Just ordered this. What's the sound like. I have an old scratchy original.

17. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

The Record Store Day LP was also fabulously done.

18. triple

triple Senior Member

I have the sacd and it is wonderful. Don't know about the lp, though. Either format, get the AP. Reviewers are ecstatic about both analog and digital reissues.

19. JohnnyD

JohnnyD Forum Resident

I have the sacd also and I enjoy it greatly (big fan of this album). I had actually contacted AP when I saw they were doing the LP and suggested they do sacd also ( I don't make suggestions often). I'm sure that was their plan all along but it was still a nice surprise when I saw they were doing sacd. I had read a review of the LP at Positive Feedback (issue 78) where the reviewer had spoken with Chad Kassum from AP and Chad had raved about the "exceptional quality of the master tape". That was enough for me to go for the sacd. I hope AP decides to do more from Dean Martin.

MarkusGermany, Dino and Mark Wilson like this.
  20. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Will anyone be kind enough to post some of these rave reviews so we can all enjoy them? THANKS!

21. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

I'm waiting on mine to arrive. Looking at his catalog and depending on tastes, I hope they can do the first 3 Reprise albums French Style, Cha Cha De Amor and Dino Latino.

Sim2 and MarkusGermany like this.
  22. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Cha Cha De Amor was Capitol, but still, I'm with you there. Maybe a remix of that one, since it was one of those off-centered vocal records. I think the original stereo mixes of French Style and Dino Latino are wonderful as is, as are the stereo mixes for his next two Reprise albums (the country ones).

Sim2 likes this.
  23. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

Oh yeah the country ones would be great.

MarkusGermany likes this.
  24. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

I didnt get the SACD but I can say the AP vinyl has Dean in the room, I mean this is my new demo disc for sure. I have an original scratchy old vinyl and it doesn't sound like this if the scrathes were gone. You can hear him open and close his mouth when he takes a breath! I am truly blown away. Wish he did more of these. The SACD is probably the same. Buy this now!!!!

Shel, Dino and paulmock like this.
  25. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

Btw the packaging is better than the original.

MarkusGermany, Dino and paulmock like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.