Decware and Rega RS1

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by riknbkr330, Feb 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member Thread Starter

Last night I pulled the trigger on a Decware SE34I.4 after reading through and just getting a tube amp hankering. My current rig consists of a Creek 5350SE integrated, powering Rega RS1. I like the sound, but I think I can get more. My room is really small, 11' x 9', but has a high vaulted ceiling. I've treated the room with Primacoustic and GIK bass traps and diffusers.

My concern is that the Rega RS1, even though they're rated with 90dB sensitivity, might not be good enough for this amp. Has anybody here tried a Decware amp with Rega RS1 speakers? Any thoughts on this match?

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I haven't had Rega speakers but I did have the SE34I (earlier model) and a small listening room and speakers that were 90db I believe. If the crossovers are not too power draining should be a good match imo.

3. riknbkr330

Thanks Lonson. I read your reviews last night as I was sizing up the amp, and with your spirited comments, I pulled the trigger..so I blame you ;) .
    According to Rega:
    "The handmade crossover needs no additional filter networks to work with the drive units. Unlike most manufacturers who boast about the complexity of their crossovers, we are proud of the simplicity of ours."

Unfortunately I haven't found any real details about the power draining possibility or what that statement really means.

4. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

How many output watts has the Decware?

This is apples and pears, but I currently have RS1s on the end of a Croft and they sound lovely.

5. riknbkr330

6 watts.

bhazen likes this.
  6. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Hmm ... Do you listen "cranked", or at polite levels? If the latter, I think you'll be fine. If the former, hi-eff speakers (horns?) may be in your future.

7. Lonson

Well, I think I've been "to blame" for a handful of satisfied Decware customers so I hope I haven't steered you wrong, don't think I have. My guess is that unless you really want to endanger your hearing with high sound pressure levels, the speaket and amp match is a nice one.

For the most thorough and trusted answer, I'd inquire from Steve Deckert himself. It never ceases to amaze me how much he knows about his products and their real world application.

Cardanken and riknbkr330 like this.
  8. antoniofhowe

antoniofhowe Well-Known Member

I'd be very curious on how this works out for you. I've been seriously contemplating the SE34I.4 as well and currently have 90db speakers (MA Bronze BX2). I would eventually upgrade to high-efficiency speakers but can't really do both at the same time.

9. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Decware seems to say (under "Ideal Speakers" for that amp) that 90 dB is alright; but that 94-97 dB(?) is the sweet spot.

10. riknbkr330

I do like to listen loud as I have a dedicated room. But also I'm using near field monitoring technique, so it's not just a "listening" room, but a mini studio.

Yes, I saw that Steve @ Decware is very approachable and passionate about his product, which is a plus. I may just shoot him an email to get his impression.

11. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

90dB might be a bit challenging for 6 watts. Curious to read your impressions once you get your new amp.

Congrats!

12. riknbkr330

Thanks....we'll see as I don't even know how long the turn around time is at this point.

13. Ozoid

Ozoid Member

That Steve is approachable is way understated. I spent an evening with him in his listening room, mainly listening to the 2-watt Zen SET and his desktop speakers (89 dB) and his monitors (94 dB). 90dB should be OK. His monitors are terrific, and a lot of people match Decware amps with Omega single-drivers.

14. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

Agreed, it's borderline. I'd go with more sensitive speakers. Particularly for hard rock.

15. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

I own the same amp and pair it with Zu Audio Druids. No volume issues. Steve also owns the Druids.

Love the amp. Love the sound.

16. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

The Druids are 11db more efficient than the speakers the OP wants to pair with the Rachel, though. My Tekton Lores are 98db efficient, and my 2wpc Decware amp drives them just fine for the volume at which I listen to music, FWIW.

Blue Gecko likes this.
  17. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

Be aware of the 2.5V sensitivity.

Blue Gecko likes this.
  18. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

98dB is excellent efficiency for a low powered tube amp!

Blue Gecko and rischa like this.
  19. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

Yes... agree not the same as the OP speakers. Just providing an experience of matching an amp to a speaker (in my experience). The OP has the amp and is in what may be a harder predicament of finding speakers. BTW... I still have my Sansui AU 717 sitting in the same cabinet as the Decware tube amp and have not used it since purchasing the tube amp. The Druids (in a previous home) notably filled the yard and overflowed into the neighborhood when used at moderate levels with the Sansui.

I would still like an opportunity to have a pair of Klipsch KHorns and a room large enough to use the with the SE34I.4. Given economical restraints the Decware amp is an extreme amp matched with extreme speakers and is not a sound for everone. Play a bad recording and you'll here it. However... play a good recording and it's extremly good.

Back to the OPs speaker issue... Call Steve at Decware and ask his opinion. My own interaction with him is always positive and informative. Perhaps the OP is looking for a certain sound with the Rega. While the SE34I.4 offers only 6 watts... it can be bridged if you buy a second unit. At ~80 watts each of power consumption, it's easy on the power bills. I typically listen to the amp 40-50 hours a week.

Also of note with the SE34I.4.... my own room where the speakers and amp reside is relatively small, yet it's open to an adjacent kitchen and has a 1/2 story loft and stairway. I often work upstairs and find myself running the amp at 50-60% volume. No clipping yet and still room for more volume. I'll listen a bit longer prior to possibly experimenting with higher levels.

rischa likes this.
  20. Lonson

Also worth noting is how FULL the sound is with Decware amps. When I was running solid state amps before moving to Decware I would turn the amps way up to get the sound to seem "full." With the Decware amps I actually began listening at lower levels and getting that fullness I wanted in the sound.

A call to Steve (more likely to get attention than an email in my experience) would definitely be a good thing. I think that in this small room the amp will get loud enough, but Steve has the best answer.

21. riknbkr330

Thanks for the input guys. Yes the room is small and it's actually separate from the main house. In other words, it's its own enclosure. The room area is only 100 square feet.

I sit roughly 3 feet away from my speakers typically, so I won't be playing at ear bleeding levels. Typically, for a good dynamic recording, I'll turn the Creek amp I have to about half if I really want to "rock"....have taken it up 3/4 of the way as well, but that's not typical and only sometimes when I'm playing along with music. The Creek, according to specs, runs at 90Watts. I'm pretty confident that this amp will be loud enough, but the headroom is the only thing that I have a concern with.

Probably a good idea to call Steve though.

22. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

Agree... given coffee and quiet full music in the early morning hours prior to my spouse waking is perfect (for me). My Sansui needed the loudness turned on to get at similar full sound.

23. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

I've used 8W single-ended amplifiers with KEF 90dB speakers (the vintage Q60). Plenty of volume for moderate listening levels. It's only with hard rock or mega dynamic levels where the amplifier started to clip. Based on your listening habits, speaker distance, and proximity to said speakers, I don't see a problem.

Blue Gecko and bhazen like this.
  24. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I think this may be the quality tubes have over s.s. ... I'm agnostic otherwise. :)

My Croft Integrated (tubed preamp section only) allows this.

Blue Gecko likes this.
  25. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

It will depend on your definition of loud. 6 watts at 3 feet will get you up to 104db or so. Allow 15 - 20db for dynamic peaks. If your loud is 85db (not very loud IMO) or so, you should be fine.

There are iPhone apps to measure SPL's. I've compared a couple to my Radio Shack meter and they are pretty accurate (provided the RS meter is accurate).

Blue Gecko likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.