Decware Super Zen Triode amp has arrived: First of Its Kind?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rischa, Jun 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

This amp is a few upgrades up from what used to be called the "Select," which was never 500 dollars.

sushimaster likes this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

What is this thing? Looks neat. Two EL84's in triode with a big rectifier tube? Hard to tell on my iPhone.

3. Lonson

Steve, here's the product page:

http://www.decware.com/newsite/SE84ZS.html

Not just EL84 tubes, but the SV83 and its variants as well, which actually sound better in this circuit. 6N1P or 6922 of 6DJ8 input tube. 5Y3GT or 5U4G rectifiers (the pictured one is a Valve Arts 274B which is really not like most other 274Bs but is a 5U4G type in a bigger glass.)

Steve Hoffman and rischa like this.
  4. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

The original SE84 I had was $495, new from Steve. The current version is much nicer cosmetically (if you like crown molding). The bias meters are nice, but I wonder what purpose they serve on a self-biasing design?

sushimaster likes this.
  5. rischa

rischa Forum Resident Thread Starter

As Lonson said, this is the "Select" version of the standard Zen, which currently runs $875. Normally the Select is only $1039, but I paid extra for a stepped volume pot, and upgraded caps.

To be fair, since the current, upgraded, version of the standard Zen came out last year, there is less of a difference between it and the "Select," save for the figured base and bias meters. I wanted the figured base, though, to match my Decware CSP2+ preamp, so I got the Select instead of the standard version.

The Zen has come a long way since it was a $500 amp, which was about 10+ years ago. I would check out the product page on the Decware website--it runs through all of the changes/upgrades the Zen has gone through over the years. As for Decware products being "homebrew," again, I would check out their website. They now sell $12,000 a pair monos, for instance. Their Torii amp was even favorably reviewed by Toneaudio recently. I don't think Toneaudio reviews homemade amps, at least from what I've seen of the magazine.

By the way, I asked Steve Deckert about the Torii and his other under-5K amps, and he said that when someone asks to hear Decware's best sounding amp, he reaches for a Zen triode.

sushimaster likes this.
  6. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

Really??? $500??? :wtf:
    Sorry for doubting you.
    How long ago was this?
    When you said Steve, I thought you were talking about our host. I knew something was fishy about that statement...but anyways.

Back when I built my Hagerman Clarinet tube preamp from a kit, the parts alone cost me maybe $400. Including tubes and chassis.
    I don't see how it is possible someone or a group of guys could build an amp here in the states and sell it for $500 and be profitable, but I guess I stand corrected.

7. Lonson

Right, I have the 27th amp that Steve made, even before any revisions let alone the "C" revision amp that I am listening to right now, here in my Dad's system. But the one that Risha bought is an evolution of the "Select" amp that Steve came out with after some years, and it was an upgraded amp with better parts and was never 499. I think it started out at 700 bucks or more when it was introduced last century.

8. Steve Hoffman

I'd love to hear this thing. It sounds neat, congrats!

9. rischa

Thanks, Steve! Come on over and have a listen any time you want. I'm sure you're in WI all the time, right?

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  10. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

I might give it another try. Which attenuator and caps are used in the upgraded unit you bought?

11. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I very much dislike the look.

12. Lonson

Me too, but some really like it and I can understand that.

My Decware Torii Mk III (and I'm soon going to have a second) and my two CSP2+ and my ZP3 all have the "modern walnut" case and I love the way they look!

13. Metralla

what was the previous look?

14. Lonson

It's not so much a previous look as an optional one, there are several options.

15. Snashforce

Snashforce Living Stereo

Same here. The modern walnut case is the way to go for the Decware amps (for my taste).
    Another superfluous quibble: I'd like it if the power cords and other cables connected at the back panel of the case rather than the top panel.

To the OP - enjoy your new amp! Also, how do you like the sound? I see your speakers are efficient. Enough power with the Zen Triode?

16. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

Bet it would sound great with those Klipschorns!

17. Metralla

Absolutely agree - there cannot be any real reason for this other than to look different - well, maybe it is slightly cheaper.

18. Lonson

According to Steve Deckert, the reason they are on top is to keep the signal path short. You would not believe how little wire there is in these amps that are not parts leads.

I now have five of his components with IEC inlets on top and it has not presented any problems for me.

19. Steve Hoffman

20. rischa

I actually like the interconnects and cords sticking out of the top--looks kind of cool, and allows me to have the back of the amp closer to the wall if I need it to be

I'll admit, I thought the figured base was butt-ugly when I first saw it online. It's definitely not my style, as I prefer minimalism in my gear--no unnecessary lines or angles, and plain, black facades. But after thinking about it for a while, the steampunk aesthetic of the figured base started to grow on me, and I thought it would be a fun look in contrast with my other gear. Besides, it's replaceable, so I can switch it out for a modern, black wood base in the future if I want.

21. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Smart move upgrading the volume pot and caps. Those are two areas where better sounding parts can make a dramatic improvement in sound.

Enjoy your new amp!

22. rischa

23. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Are you aware of the cost for decent sounding parts?

To build/sell an amp for $500 would pretty much require dollar store resistors, caps, RCAs, binding posts, tube sockets, IEC and so on. And mucho cheapo trannies.

$1,200 for a well built, point to point wired tube amp is a fantastic price.

rischa likes this.
  24. rischa

My engineer friend who restores vintage tube-gear also wants a look under the hood of this and my Decware pre. Steve Deckert actually gave me his blessing to open them up, said it wouldn't affect the warranty, but he'd charge me a minimal fee to fix them if I f*&%*ed them up. Even so, there's no way I'd open them without a good reason. Murphy's law and all, ya know.

25. Metralla

I like that construction method.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.