Deep Purple Box Set from Audio Fidelity

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rapid Fire

Rapid Fire Hyperactive!

I own Fireball, the others are indeed wanted. Time to save some money.

2. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

This is part of the 2 DVD set 'History, Hits & Highlights'. Also, it's included on the 'Deepest Purple' 30th anniversary CD + DVD set :shrug:

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  3. integriscdp

integriscdp Active Member

As AF's numbering system is managed with attached stickers (i.e. not embossed lettering directly on the cardboard), I assume that any box set not purchased by a current subscriber will be sold with a different sticker number. I've already informed AF that I will not be collecting either of the #'s for my two subscriptions, so that's at least a couple for the street.

Lost In The Flood and zapple like this.
  4. integriscdp

I agree 110%. As an original AF member with both Platinum and Gold subscriptions, this whole matter has me doubly miffed to say the least. I've been in contact with AF, and I do not think anything else will be forthcoming on this to appease current subscribers, as I think it's fairly clear the target audience for this set is not the longtime subscriber. I suspect my days of 'exclusive membership' in this club are numbered...:realmad:

Scott J and rstamberg like this.
  5. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I missed out on Fireball & Machine Head the first time around, so for me, this is great news.

6. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I must admit I haven't read this entire thread but ...

I take it Audio Fidelity isn't selling the physical box to those who actually purchased every single one of Deep Purple's gold CDs as they were released, are they? If not, it's as if they're punishing us.

UPDATE:

From Audio Fidelity's e-mail to "club" members:

We too want you to know that the numbered embossed boxes will not be made available for sale as individual items. The reason for this is that each manufactured box set contains the four Deep Purple 24K CDs, but rather than our normal specially designed slip cases, the discs are packaged in un-numbered jewel cases with gleaming gold title cards placed above each original booklet.

Not only does this "explanation" make no sense (I guess the folks at AF don't think we can remove our slipcases to make the CDs and their respective jewel cases fit into an empty box), it kinda makes my blood boil in that they must think their "explanation" makes everything okay to those whov'e already shelled out for the discs. It's called double-dipping, and it isn't cool. Screw them.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
    Scott J likes this.
  7. HAmmer

HAmmer Forum Resident

8. integriscdp

That is correct.

9. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

10. zen

zen Senior Member

11. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

Has it shipped yet? I see what you did there...

12. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

When Acoustic Sounds issued the Miles Davis and Bill Evans Prestige 45 sets in a box after the the numbered limited editions sold out and were commanding a premium, everybody on the forum went bats**t. So why is AF getting a pass for making more of a numbered limited edition available. Isn't that the point of a limited numbered edition?

13. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Why not make a boxed set when there's an actual collection amassed? No Burn, Made in Japan, Come Taste the Band, or Stormbringer? :(

Murph likes this.
  14. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Yes, I was wanting them to do that one also.

15. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

16. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I guess you could look at it as being a box set of the studio recordings from the Mark II lineup.

zen likes this.
  17. zen

zen Senior Member

:idea:

If this box had: Burn, Stormbringer Made in Europe and Come Taste the Band......or the original lineups 3 albums with the Concerto; I'd be all over that.

ponkine likes this.
  18. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

With a DVD EP from Mark I

19. boots

boots Chokma!

Call me a crazy music hoarder I'm going to get it. Should look nice next to the copies I already have.

20. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

21. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

heh,didnt notice.Couldnt take my eyes off the blonde I guess.:winkgrin:

22. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Preordered from Elusive Disc.

23. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I thought maybe "Comming" was an inside reference to Deep Purple (one that I'm not aware of). I guess not?

Where did that collage that Ed Hughes posted in #133 come from? Ed, did you create that yourself?

Craig.

24. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

As a subscriber I told AF I'm passing on this one

Scott J likes this.
  25. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

Maybe this has been answered or explained in the distant past but I still say it's a crime that "Demon's Eye" isn't on Fireball. NOT a throwaway track at all!

Carserguev likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.