Deep Purple 'Burn' - Happy 40th anniversary !!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Feb 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi all :wave:

Today is the 40th Anniversary of a true classic album: Deep Purple 'Burn'

Share your memories, feelings and everything about this landmark record

Cheers
    :cheers:

[​IMG]

2. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

I remember seeing TV adverts for the LP on Yorkshire Television..around the same time as Slade's Old New Borrowed and Blue. That, and seeing it in the record stores as a kid are my first memories. (Oh, and having a sense of "I will own that one day", but that day wasn't until a couple of years later).

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
    OneStepBeyond likes this.
  3. bfraizer

bfraizer Member

Had my fingers crossed when they changed Ian and Roger with David and Glenn..but it turned out to be one of my favorite DP albums

DonnyMe and OneStepBeyond like this.
  4. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

High school for me was 1973-1976, and (other than the Beatles an Stones), it was all Aerosmith, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and Foghat, so a new Deep Purple LP was always a nice event.

But what happened?!??! New singer?!?! New bass player?!?!

I placed the needle on the record, and that "Burn" riff kicked in and I was in Heaven. For me it was worth the price of admission right there. "Mistreated" was another favorite back then. I remember liking the LP as a whole, but not as much as the classic Mark 2 stuff that I was so familiar with. I like it more now, especially some of the more funky things on there.

5. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

My second favorite Deep Purple album after 'Machine Head'. The new lineup was full of energy on this album.

slipkid, DonnyMe and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Killer album! I really love the whole thing, especially Might Just Take Your Life.

DonnyMe and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  7. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

8. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

A fine album with one of my all-time favorite covers!

9. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

My first two DP albums were Machine Head and In Rock so let's just say that I was firmly in the MkII camp and was very unhappy with Ritchie Blackmore destroying what I thought was a very good thing.

But once I saw the new lineup way back on the California Jam TV broadcast, I knew that it was a now a slightly different DP, but it was still DP and I ended up buying Burn shortly thereafter, and have not regretted it to this day...:)

10. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I remember seeing the cover in the 8th grade and thinking now that looks really cool. A friend bought it first as I wasn't so sure about the lineup change. Coverdale and Hughes added a new dimension to the band. Still a big Glenn Hughes fan and also can't seem to stop buying Whitesnake Records and CDs. :D

Holy Diver likes this.
  11. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Great album.

12. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Screaming Lord Sutch and his wife seem to be fans!

102676064.jpg

13. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Bought on day of release and saw them a month later headlining at the Astrodome!
    Burn and Who Do We Think We Are are my two favorite studio Purple albums.

BryanA-HTX and zen like this.
  14. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

This is a great Purple record. Almost as if they had something to prove. Paice is just a monster on this record and the band is firing on all cylinders. I bought this when it came out (I just turned 13) and it was one of the first records I ever purchased. I wore this sucker out!

15. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Audio Fidelity should do an SACD of this title!

The Hud, agentalbert, DonnyMe and 7 others like this.
  16. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Well, I was only 5 when it came out - but I was definitely listening by the time I was 8.

Despite Coverdale, who I have never cared for too much, I love this entire album. Blackmore and Lord are motivated, and this is probably the best Ian Paice has ever played in the studio.

Carserguev likes this.
  17. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

Let's point out this important quote

18. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Of course I was po'd at the dumping of Gillan/Glover....but I actually really like most of this album taken separately on its own merits and play it quite often. Some of Lord's, synths sounds get a bit cheezy, but his piano and organ stuff is amazing as always. Blackmore seems to be in a good mood, or have something to prove, which makes a big difference in the end result. The Coverdale/Hughes combo mostly works, although individually I can't stand either one really, and on future albums they do their best to over/out-sing each other.
    Great album cover. The production always sounded a bit on the thin side, as many Martin Birch albums do. And I agree that it would be nice to see what Steve could do with this title.

The live performance on CalJam just showed how annoying Hughes really was.

Tomek, BongRattlingBass and Murph like this.
  19. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

+1. I think those candles may have been available on a Purple website - big bucks IIRC. Agree on Hughes. Same goes with his performance on Made in Europe. I thought that record could have matched MIJ if not for his yelping :hide:

petercl and jon9091 like this.
  20. jon9091

Yep...just picked up a mint copy of Made in Europe. I hadn't listened to it in years. Blackers is on fire on that album. And then there's Hughes. :yikes:

Murph likes this.
  21. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

The only DP live album where Hughes is tolerable is Live In Lomdon.

I never really cared much for Burn myself. The title track is great though.

22. old school

old school Senior Member

The last great Deep Purple album to me.

Szeppelin75 and jerrygene like this.
  23. Ramilo

Ramilo Active Member

Where did you get this weird idea? Ritchie didn't destroy anything. Gillan's decision to leave the band had nothing to do with Blackmore destroying something.

24. jon9091

He certainly destroyed Roger Glover's 1st tenure in the band.

Gillan wrote his letter of resignation thinking everyone would try to talk him out of it...but no one did. Blackmore had his own intentions of leaving, and the band decided they needed Richie more. But, his stipulation was that Glover get the boot.

25. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

As a huge DP fan as well as a long-time Blackmore fan I think I was merely speaking figuratively.

Welcome to the forum.

zen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.