Deep Purple - BURN update

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claus

Claus Senior Member Thread Starter

Work has been progressing on Deep Purple's Burn master-tapes. Simon Robinson (DPAS) has heard some of the new remixes and reckons they are really powerful, with some stunning work on Sail Away in particular. It is hoped that the remixes will be finished by the end of October, but due to the delays it now looks likely that the album will appear early in 2004 as a Thirtieth Anniversary Edition.

2. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

I have nearly picked the original CD of this up a bunch of times...how's the mastering on the original issues (EMI or WB)?

3. Claus

I don't like very much the originals - either the EMI or the Warner pressing. Lee Herschberg did the remastering for the japanese mini-lp remasters a long time ago... he used the tape copies from the Warner vaults - the same were used for Rhino's tracks on the "Shades" box set...

Much better remasterinng on EMI's box set "Listen, Learn, Read On"... Pete Mew used the the original master tapes for the very first time.

So I will wait, when EMI will reissue the 30th Anniversary Edition in early 2004.

4. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

The EMI remasters are the way to go!

Also, the Rhino editions that eventually come out are the same mastering.

5. Claus

I'm sure Rhino will license Burn too... same way like the other remasters, except for the Machine Head DVD-A.

6. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Just thought I'd let you know that I got an e-mail from Simon Robinson a few days back. He was on his way down to London to sit in on the Burn remixing sessions. Not sure how involved he will be in the process but, he certainly knows how things should sound.

Cheers,
    Chris

7. Claus

Can't wait... one of my favorite DP records. But all DP fans must wait 3 years for the next remaster (Stormbringer...)...

8. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

OK folks... Simon Robinson has returned from his session of sitting in on the "Burn" sessions. He's been kind enough to send along some info regarding the session for me to post here for your enlightenment. BTW - He refers to my familairity with his home listening setup. It's quite nice for a relatively compact system and includes a NAD and Tannoy gear.

Cheers,
    Chris

From Simon (Oct. 28/03):

I was asked to sit in on the mix for a time. As a long time fan, and given
    my work on helping to co-ordinate and package the remastering programme at
    EMI so far, my job was just to make sure the mix was staying faithful to the
    original approach of the album, while taking advantage of all the digital
    facilities not available in late 1973.
    The mix is being done by Matt Tait at Metropolis in London, housed in the
    Powerhouse complex.
    For this CD the plan is to stick with one disc which will feature a straight
    remaster from the original vinyl album master half inch, along with some new
    mixes as bonus tracks, plus the instrumental b-side.
    It's likely that four of the original album tracks only will be remixed.
    Glenn Hughes, the original bassist, is going to go through the work to make
    sure it stays true to the band's original vision for the album.
    In the past the studio versions of the Burn tracks often paled beside some
    of the live renditions done on the US and UK tours in 1974. However this
    work has really brought some life back into the studio tracks, and you can
    at last begin to feel the strength of this new line-up as they start to flex
    their muscles, while still clearly getting to grips with the different
    sound.
    I have since played a couple of the new mixes (albeit before they too are
    fully mastered) on my home audio system (always the acid test - it's a very
    modest system as Chris can testify!) and was more than pleased with the
    results. In fact I can't wait for further test CDs!
    The band's appreciation society web site www.deep-purple.net has been
    promised some mp3 clips shortly, so people will be able to judge for
    themselves to some extent.
    It is probable that this album will be offered to Rhino / Warners for US
    release as the previous titles have been.

9. Claus

Thanks Chris!

10. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Hey Claus... Why did I figure you'd probably be the first one to read this posting? (Heh, heh!) Some pretty good news from the inside!

Cheers,
    Chris

11. bartels76

Awesome thanks! Can't wait!

12. Claus

Do you know why EMI remixed 4 tracks only... why not the whole record, like Machine Head :confused:

13. bartels76

Probabaly didn't want to make it a double disc.

14. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

I'm pretty sure that's the exact reason. I don't think that they feel that it has the same massive appeal as Machine Head. This leaves it at a more accessable single CD price.

Anyway... we'll take what we can get! ;)

Cheers,
    Chris

15. Claus

Well, I can't wait... BURN is an underrated record. But there are a lot of great tracks, like Sail Away, Mistreated and the title track of course.

16. bartels76

I love the whole album except for the instrumental at the end- A 400.

17. Claus

I'm too, but I would like to add You Fool No One... don't like Ian Paice's cowbell

18. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

It's been my understanding that a quadraphonic mix was prepared for release but never issued. Anyone know if there will be either a DVD-A or SACD multi release of Burn?

19. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

Great! Ian Paice really smokes on Burn. (Heh!) The title track and "Lay Down Stay Down" are standouts for me.

20. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I wish they would take the vinyl master half inch tape and give it to Steve for a vinyl mastering job.

21. bartels76

I like YFNO better live.

22. bartels76

Not in the near future I doubt. They had a hard enough time getting the redbook out! This remaster has been 5 years in the making! I would assume they would do the more popular Mk II titles first. They released Machine Head already. Stormbringer has a nice quad mix they could make a SACD or DVD-A out of.

23. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

More cowbell!...NOT! "You Fool No One" could benefit from remixing, yes. Which tracks were remixed, BTW? The mixes of "Burn" and "Sail Away" could be bettered too, IMO.

24. Claus

I've seen them live in 74... one of the most boring concerts I've ever visited! Blackmore had a very bad day... and You Fool No One was too long, incl a boring drumsolo by Ian "Foreskin" Paice. I went shortly after the beginning of Space Truckin'

25. Claus

Update from DPAS:

EMI asked Roger Glover to oversee work on the Burn reissue but in the end he decided not to get involved in the project. Instead the extra match-mixes are being done at Metropolis studios in London. After this it is hoped Glenn Hughes will check the results and provide input into the project, which he is keen to do.

Simon Robinson tells us that the new match mixes are really powerful yet stay true to the balance and spirit of the originals, with some stunning work on Sail Away, a real boost for Mistreated and a total face-lift for You Fool No One. It was hoped that the remixes would be finished by the end of October, but due to the delays it now looks likely that the album will appear early in 2004 as a Thirtieth Anniversary Edition. The CD will of course also contain the original album mixes, digitally remastered, along with the b-side. Cassettes of the Burn rehearsals have been located, but sadly the sound quality is not thought good enough for them to feature, though Abbey Road are having a listen to see if some snippets can be rescued. EMI have given www.deep-purple.net the OK for some exclusive sound clips shortly, so watch out for these.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.