Deep Purple Made in box set in early 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Nov 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

It is a pleasure to initiate a thread concerning the long-awaited, long-oerdue, long-rumoured Deep Purple final concerts box set from 1975. Universal is preparing a bo set with the full Saarbrucken, Graz and Paris gigs, coupled with a new MK III documentary. Let´s hope they don´t repeat the mistakes of the MIJ set of this year.

2. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

Looking forward to this, but... WHY DID THEY RELEASE GRAZ A FEW MONTHS AGO THEN?!?!? Milking the fans, stuff like that gets up my nose...
    With that out of the way, this could be great but expensive... Hopefully, THIS TIME they'll bother to include the COMPLETE UNEDITED Graz show...
    I liked the sound on the Simon Robinson Paris set, hope this'll be an upgrade...

dirie and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  3. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

...ranging from rock to roll.

supernaut likes this.
  4. Daniel Falaschi

Yes that is the basic question after this announcement...why release the complete (edited) graz show if this bo set was allready in the making? Let´s hope for a complete, unedited Graz with a much better sound. Simon Robinson might be involved in the planed Perfect Strangers deluxe forthcomming edition.

PacificOceanBlue and Carserguev like this.
  5. dirie

dirie Forum Resident

These are good news. And I haven't bought the Graz show yet. The editing and the missing encores were just unsatisfying. Let's hope they get it right this time.

s320no likes this.
  6. cmi

cmi Forum Resident

Don't mess UMG and Edel Music. It's not Deep Purple release this cheap archive series but Edel Music, and not Deep Purple will release long-awaited Made In Europe Box set next year but UMG. Two different companies can release same things in different types of products.

Never liked the archive series with its weak packaging and awful mastering.
    Hope this set will feature 4 CD's with full 3 shows from spring 1975 in the style of MIJ box set.

danielbravo, southamorican and zen like this.
  7. zen

zen Senior Member

Agreed. I tested the water on this archive series with the Graz CD, and it sounded crappY.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  8. Daniel Falaschi

Considering th multiple releases of Paris and Graz in the recent past, I would have gone with a full Saarbrucken remix + the documentary. After all, there is not too much unreleased music from these three concerts, just a few tracks from Saarbrucken that were not on the original Made in Europe. Maybe the multi tracks for the Graz encores are just missing.

9. Daniel Falaschi

I wish Simon was involved. At least it would be cool if Universal could make a nice booklet with pictures FROM THE PERIOD. The booklet for the MIJ deluxe set is terrible.

dirie, BluesOvertookMe and Carserguev like this.
  10. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

For me, buying it all depends on the mastering and how complete this box set turns out to be.

11. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I'm in ... reluctantly.
    I'll be re-buying a lot of material I already own, I suspect.

supernaut, tkl7 and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  12. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Same here...business as usual:laugh:

tkl7 and rstamberg like this.
  13. Daniel Falaschi

Yep. Just talked to Simon Robinson. He pulled out from the project because "he saw what they were doing to it". Those are not the best first news to get for a just announced release. I´ll buy this set only if the documentary hay new MK III footage.

BluesOvertookMe and supernaut like this.
  14. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Probably it's the same team, who remixed Made in Japan.

supernaut likes this.
  15. Daniel Falaschi

Yep. I have read contrasting opinions on that remix (not refering to Kein Shirley). Mostly positives, some negatives.

16. Daniel Falaschi

Dear Music God allow these people to mix Paice´s snare drum without that cornflakes box sound of the latest Graz 75 release!

BluesOvertookMe and Carserguev like this.
  17. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

The unique releases by Universal Music for Deep Purple in recent times have been:

-Made In Japan (new remaster)
    -In Concert '72 (remixed)

And if is true what is said here, Universal Music will make launching several presentations (as happened with Made In Japan), I mean standard CD, deluxe edition, mega box set and Blu-Ray audio.

I think so, taking into account what has already been recently released in the catalog of Deep Purple. However it is important to note that the material handled by Universal Music is not licensed to Edel Music (US) / Eagle Records (in the US) and vice versa.

Until now Live Overseas DP Series has been run by Edel Records (in Europe), Eagle Records (in the US) and Ward Records (Columbia Japan).

18. danielbravo

You must remember that material handling by Universal Music is not licensed to Music Edel and vice versa. I imagine there will be a totally different release (Maybe the entire and unedited concert)

19. danielbravo

I think that the recordings appeared under Sonic Zoom (DP Records) is not under license from Universal Music.
    Is there any source that can confirm that there is another master ? Universal Music have these recordings?

20. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

21. Daniel Falaschi

I wonder what footage will they include in the documentary. Since 2009 when the History Hits and Highlights set was released, no new pro shot footage from MK III (besides some Cal Jam backstage and the Stormbringer clip) has surfaced. Hope they use the Belgrade footage for some disc menus at least, would be cool...

22. zen

zen Senior Member

Then I'm in. I enjoyed that set thoroughly.

supernaut likes this.
  23. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

AFAIK, Universal are not happy about the Edel CD, as it wasn't part of the original Sonic Zoom releases. Universal have argued that any unreleased (ie not SZ) tapes belong to them. So presumably this is either to scupper Edel's sales and/or to prove ownership.

Just hope it's complete!!

24. Daniel Falaschi

Thanks for the clarifying post. If Universal are not happy with Edel, then they should aknowledge that many fans are not too happy with how they (Universal) treated the MIJ deluxe.

Timjosephuk likes this.
  25. danielbravo

Universal Music has no connection whatsoever with Edel ... so I do not get that from; "Universal is upset with Edel"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.