Deep Purple Made In Japan - confusion!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott6, Apr 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Yes, I suppose they could, all it says is "Mixed by Roger Glover & Ian Paice", but those are the original credits.

Ok, I see, and I realize the whole LP version wouldn't fit on a CD however they slice it anyway, so I guess only the old 2-CD versions have that.

2. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Just goes to show that in any such discussion on which releases/remasters we are talking about, we have to be *specific* with more than just dates.

3. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

That's the one to have!

dlokazip and rstamberg like this.
  4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

The original album was never on 2 discs, though :)

rstamberg likes this.
  5. My needlderop of the first UK vinyl pressing runs just a little over 77 minutes and fits on a modern CD. Only in the very early days of CD's were they limited to 74 minutes maximum.

I think the old US Warner Bros. CD is complete without any early fades, as far as I remember. It sounds great. The DCC Gold CD is still a tad better, but they are quite close overall. I like the original vinyl best.

6. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Still sounds good.

And the original Warner Bros. Records CD is so ... uncomplicated.

7. pool_of_tears

That cd is 2nd to the DCC.

8. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Well, ther's this: Deep Purple - Made In Japan »

Like I said earlier, both the original EMI and the Warner has fades between songs, and all recent CD versions I have heard (1998 and all 2014 remasters/remixes) are about 77 mins., but they are still not as the LP, so... :confused:

9. boots

boots Chokma!

I have the WB CD from 1988 cat#2701-2 it has the shout at the end of The Mule this one.

10. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I've never heard or owned any version of that two-disc'd version of MADE IN JAPAN.
    I was heavy into gold discing' way early on and I don't really understand why I passed on the DCC Gold CD set. One of those rare mistakes that is truly too expensive to rectify. I mean unless ...

I *do* have the giant MADE IN JAPAN box from ... Japan (It's exactly the same, once you remove the faux paper cover image of the Japanese version that covers the usual cover ... only in Japan, though. The Japanese album cover is mighty different than the cover we all know, no matter what sort of green/yellow/olive-ish color Warner Bros. Records is using to frame the iconic cover picture of our Deep Purple friends in action in Japan!

11. pool_of_tears

Me neither.

The stock US Warner disc is great to have, if the DCC isn't within grasp

rstamberg likes this.
  12. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

The DCC 2-CD set has gotten way too expensive, that is, if I want a mint copy. And that's what I'd want.

13. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

T
    The DCC is also a single disc, Roland, and definitely worth looking for.

rstamberg likes this.
  14. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Is your UK vinyl mastered by Porky/Pecko? I find this pressing too compressed compared to the DCC (either vinyl or CD).

15. I have two vinyl pressings. One is a four-sided Porky/Pecko UK pressing, the other has two sides with the Porky/Pecko cut and two other sides, a German pressing. Side 2 of that German pressing (not mastered by Porky/Pecko) is maybe even a bit better than the UK pressing I have.

I didn't notice any added compression on the UK vinyl compared to the DCC Gold CD. I never heard the DCC vinyl.

For what it's worth (not sure how meaningful that comparison is in that case), but here's the DR info of my UK vinyl needledrop and the DCC Gold CD (there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference):
    Code:
    foobar2000 1.3.6 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2016-05-01 17:26:38

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Deep Purple / Made In Japan (Vinyl UK)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR  Peak  RMS  Duration Track
    DR11  -1.06 dB  -14.47 dB   6:54 01-Highway Star
    DR11  -1.38 dB  -16.79 dB  12:26 02-Child In Time
    DR12  -1.44 dB  -15.97 dB   7:32 03-Smoke On The Water
    DR12  -2.88 dB  -18.30 dB   9:50 04-The Mule
    DR12  -2.14 dB  -17.01 dB   9:28 05-Strange Kind Of Woman
    DR12  -2.98 dB  -19.56 dB  11:00 06-Lazy
    DR12  -1.78 dB  -17.40 dB  19:58 07-Space Truckin'

Number of tracks:  7
    Official DR value: DR12

Samplerate:  96000 Hz
    Channels:  2
    Bits per sample:  24
    Bitrate:  4608 kbps
    Codec:  PCM
    ================================================================================
    Code:
    foobar2000 1.3.6 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2016-05-01 17:30:54

Analyzed: Deep Purple / Made In Japan (DCC Gold CD)

DR  Peak  RMS  Duration Track
    DR10  -0.43 dB  -12.82 dB   6:55 01-Highway Star
    DR10  -0.94 dB  -15.32 dB  12:32 02-Child In Time
    DR12  -0.05 dB  -14.19 dB   7:34 03-Smoke On The Water
    DR13  -0.32 dB  -16.87 dB   9:57 04-The Mule
    DR10  -1.62 dB  -14.89 dB   9:55 05-Strange Kind Of Woman
    DR11  -0.94 dB  -16.98 dB  10:35 06-Lazy
    DR11  -0.48 dB  -14.69 dB  19:59 07-Space Truckin'

Number of tracks:  7
    Official DR value: DR11

Samplerate:  44100 Hz
    Channels:  2
    Bits per sample:  16
    Bitrate:  1411 kbps
    Codec:  PCM
    ================================================================================

16. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

The vinyl DR could be inflated to a number of factors. I like the EQ on the record, IMHO find it a bit compressed with slight "wall of sound" effect. It still sounds nice and punchy. The DCC vinyl is very similar to the DCC CD.

17. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.
    It's Rock, not "Roland," BTW.

John Buchanan likes this.
  18. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

I'm still amazed that Blackmore screwed up the riff on "Smoke" two out of the three nights. I know it was new but............

Murph likes this.
  19. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I had absolutely no idea whatsoever there were so man versions out there for MADE IN JAPAN until I began wading through this thread.

20. FoxbatF

FoxbatF Forum Resident

Blackmore screwed up the riff, because he realized after the first night that it was a pretty good take. And in his typical manner he made sure that no other takes will be chosen by the record company.

21. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

My US Warner "trees" LP has fades between all songs except for the transition between "Strange Kind of Woman" and "Lazy". The US Warner single CD is identical to that, AFAICT. Am I to understand that there are European LPs that don't have these fades?

22. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Sorry, it seems I made a mistake there... You see for a long time I only had this album on LP, which I listened to a lot, but it was many years since I had thet, I stupidly got rid of it in one of those purges that you later regret. So I now only have it on a bunch of CDs, which I on the other hand have not played much, having pretty much burned out this album in my youth. It was mentioned earlier (by hammondjake) that the original single disc has reduced running time compared to the LP, and I thought I rememberd it not fading between songs on LP, I guess I misrememberd... So are those old single disc CDs in fact identical to the LP all the same? Both the Warner and the EMI are about 77 mins.

I always thought all of that was intentional, playing around and joking. Just like later on when he started playing it in a different key (D) the first couple of times. He does something to the riff all three nights, and the one where he messes around with it the most is the Made In Japan take. The only one that sounds like it's "screwed up" is the Tokyo show, where he plays it straight compared to the other nights, but there's a "hickup" just at the end of the second time, like he tripped or something, which causes Gillan to laugh.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  23. FoxbatF

FoxbatF Forum Resident

[QUOTE
    I always thought all of that was intentional, playing around and joking. Just like later on when he started playing it in a different key (D) the first couple of times. He does something to the riff all three nights, and the one where he messes around with it the most is the Made In Japan take. The only one that sounds like it's "screwed up" is the Tokyo show, where he plays it straight compared to the other nights, but there's a "hickup" just at the end of the second time, like he tripped or something, which causes Gillan to laugh.[/QUOTE]

I have to respectfully disagree. The "Made in Japan" night is the fist night. And it's the only night where the intro is played perfectly. By the intro I mean - the first two rounds of the riff before Paice comes in on hi hat.

24. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I am not sure what you are disagreeing with? There are also two more two rounds before that, where he cuts the riff off and starts messing about (or whatever you want to call it) before he picks it up again, which is obviously not how it's supposed to be if you compare to the other nights or any other perfomance (and since that causes the intro to become two rounds longer that is why I said he "messes around with it the most"), so he is doing something to the riff each night which is different to the studio version, right? I never said I have any problem with it, in fact I think all three nights are cool, he is having fun with the intro.

25. FoxbatF

FoxbatF Forum Resident

I'm only disagreeing with when you originally said that the only one that sounds screwed up is the Tokyo take. I believe the second night is also purposefully messed up twice before the drums come in. The difference is that the performance from the first night would allow the record company a simple edit (which, luckily they never made) and release of the song with a proper intro, because, as you've said, after messing about for approximately two rounds Blackmore did play it from the beginning correctly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.