Deep Purple touring with Judas Priest

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by head_unit, Apr 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

That is exactly what I do NOT want to see, too frustrating. Maybe as noted above I'll wait into summer to find out how long they are playing, and if tickets show up on Goldstar or such.

2. KankRat

KankRat Forum Resident

Sounds like he likes his liquor too. That can't help either.

jon9091 likes this.
  3. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

This would have been a BIG draw in Europe. Purple do arenas by themselves in most markets here, and Priest are usually good for 3-7 000 tickets in any european city they play.

4. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Well, if there were a lot of bands today that could stand up to what Deep Purple did in 1972, I'd understand. But since almost no one can, why hold that against 2018's Deep Purple?

5. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Purple and Alice Cooper both played full sets. Don't know what that guy is talking about.

6. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm feeling from one sixty-something fellow's article online that I just gotta do it. But I need to get some Fleetwood Mac and/or Eagles tickets so my wife doesn't complain I'm going to too many concerts :p

7. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

Looking forward to this one. In the past year, I've seen the Dregs with Steve Morse (absolutely awesome), Judas Priest (surprisingly great) and Deep Purple (a wonderful show).

Count me in!

BluesOvertookMe and davers like this.
  8. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

I thought DP were going to retire from touring? Didn't I read that somewhere?

9. zen

zen Senior Member

They've been calling it, the long goodbye tour...because they don't want to commit to a final date/performance quite yet. I believe Deep Purple want to avoid what other bands have done (ie. Scorpions/KISS)...which is to say "it's over" and not follow through with the promise.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  10. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

Ah ha

Also - I think Glenn is playing some songs at the shows. I saw his name listed beside some songs of a torrent I saw of one of the recent JP shows.

11. TruRock

TruRock New Member

Get out and see it while you can before Deep Purple retires to that great Space Truckin highway in the sky!!

12. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident

Oh God, I love this song.
    I've been exploring DP for about a week and it's my favorite so far.

13. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident

For the whole experience. So his voice has seen better days. I'll bet his stage presence is relatively in tact.
    I'm curious as to why he doesn't do meet and greet stuff.

14. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

Going to this tomorrow in Cincy. Opening night in the states so unsure of what setlist is. I kinda like the setlist from last month with Sometimes I feel like Screaming and Birds of Prey. Bloodsucker as well. Saw the last N AMerican show last year and was positive I would never see Purple again. Glad to be wrong despite missing out on some social history(last US Purple show).

Anyway, my buddy got an email that says there are three bands.

Temperaance Movement. at 7 then Priest then Purple. Most Riverbend shows end at 11. Since it's a co-head I'm guessing equal time which means 100 minute set unlikely. If Priest were to begin promptly at 8, I'm guessing each band gets 80 mins.

15. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Temperance Movement is a good young band.

16. reddyempower

Looking forward to checking them out.

17. fjn04

fjn04 Forum Resident

How was this show. I only saw Purple once, back in/around 2002. They opened for Leonard Skynard, which is a joke... I am thinking
    about either the Bethel Woods (Yonkers) show or Holmdel, NJ (PNC Bank) show. Anyone? Bueller? (-:

18. reddyempower

Will let you know tomorrow.

19. fjn04

fjn04 Forum Resident

Thanks. I would definitely be going to see Purple on this bill. It will be cool to see Judas Priest, but I'n not a big fan.
    I'm out on the Bethel Woods show... have to work that Sunday. I'm eyeing the PNC Arts Center in NJ
    at this point. Looking at You Tube shows from this year, it almost seems like Ian may be is not singing
    a small part here and there, and is actually benefiting from that. Ridiculous to expect him to sing like
    he did in his 30's at 72 years old, especially with this type of music.

20. fjn04

fjn04 Forum Resident

How was the show?

21. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

This one seems truncated though - opening night DP played 11 tunes, and Priest did 14.:shake:

tkl7 and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

The albums never age. :)

dirie likes this.
  23. reddyempower

Last night at Riverbend.

As mentioned up thread, three bands. Priest and Purple each got a 75 minute set.

Priest was great. Not a big fan or anything but they were great. Rob's vocals were out of this world. Really don't know how he does it.

I'm a Purple diehard so that's what I'll be discussing.

The performance was great and that included Ian G. He's had almost a month off so maybe that helps but his voice was much better than it was the three times I saw him last year. And he gave it everything he had. When he goes for those notes that he can no longer hit, he's REALLY going for it. Watching a great artist try his best is still something to behold.

No rap to Steve at the end of SKOW.

Don Airey, as usual, kind of stole the show. Super duper talented.

Biggest jam came during encore of HUSH. Great Morse/Airey duel but almost exactly like last year.

Setlist- here is where I'm gonna have a bit of an issue.

Exact same as all three times I saw them last year except trade Fireball for Bloodsucker and drop Time for Bedlam.

This breaks down as all of MH minus Never Before and Maybe Leo. the two bigs from Perfect Stangers. SKOW, Bloodsucker, Hush and Uncommon Man.

I love Bloodsucker and was thrilled to hear it. In fact last time I heard them play it live was on 8-21-98 exactly 20 years to the day of this show.

But I'm disappointed not one song from new album. Looked at other setlists and they got Birds of Prey and Bedlam. And Sometimes I feel like Screaming. Would have loved that.

The good news is that I accepted this prior to the band taking the stage. I'm a diehard Purple fan in the US where they have to co head-line more often than not. In the nine times I've seen them, I've got the full 100 minute set twice and the rest 75-80 mins.

Truth be told, while they were playing I had a great time. Nice standing rocking crowd. In fact I'm hoarse from screaming and sore from dancing and jumping.

24. zen

zen Senior Member

I'm just thrilled to get one more chance to witness one of my favorite bands.
    However, I'd LOVE to hear Fireball and Time For Bedlam when they come to the Shoreline/Sept. 29. Are you reading this Roger?

25. fjn04

fjn04 Forum Resident

Nice- Glad you enjoyed the show. I went as far as to book my Hotel, but I'm going to wait a few days on the tickets. It's an Amphitheater so I want to watch the weather for another day or two....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.