Def Leppard - Will we ever see Deluxe Editions of On Through The Night & High 'N' Dry?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew Smith, Jul 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DreamIsOver

DreamIsOver Senior Member

I wonder if Joe's quote in that press release is indicative that UME and the band have reached something kind of a deal or it's just some recycled from some random interview.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The quote is probably recycled, this release is supported by the band as they posted about it everywhere (Twitter/FB/Website).

DreamIsOver likes this.
  3. Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith Senior Member Thread Starter

Does the record company who own the rights to this EP also own the rights to the On Through The Night and High n' Dry albums?

4. Andrew Smith

It says that there's more Def Leppard reissues to come on the RSD website. I hope this includes CD editions of Deluxe Editions of On Through The Night and High n' Dry.

5. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

or just some collection of rare/unreleased stuff

6. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

The band own the rights to the EP. They self released it on their own label initially.

Although based on that press release, it appears they've reached some sort of deal with UME, as that's who's putting it for this re-issue. So while I wouldn't hold my breath, it at least could be more of a possibility given this news.

Another plus about this release is that it's listed as an RSD FIRST release, meaning it will be coming out as part of the event first, but is not just an exclusive "get it then or you'll miss it". It will be a available after, as well.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  7. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

Let's hope for Deluxe Editions of On Through The Night and High N Dry, and especially finally releasing the Sheffield 1993 show and the Montreal 1996 show. There's such a lack of live shows from the classic era.

8. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

That Sheffield 1993 show is great. I've got the DVD of that one.

9. Andrew Smith

Well a Deluxe Edition usually includes that. They've done Deluxe Editions with a number of their other albums. Surly, it's only a matter of time?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Andrew Smith

Thanks for that. I downloaded it and split the tracks. It's certainly the best sounding version I've heard so far.

nodeerforamonth and Deuce66 like this.
  11. Matthew Tate

Pyromania was a live show. I meant a 2 cd set of demos and bsides that have been put on easily obtainable cds

12. Andrew Smith

The Deluxe Editions of Hysteria, Adrenalize and Slang contained b-sides and outtakes.

Pouchkine and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

No On Through because Joey doesn't like his vocals on that one. It's OK to sound like a robotic pitch shifted drone on Hysteria, though.
    Just get the SHM Japan CD and be done with it. It's the only listenable version there is of On Through anyway.
    As for High And Dry the original West German Mercury is about the best there is. The Deluxes would just be remonstered anyway, although there might be some cool bonus stuff from the first album.

Maniacon \m/ likes this.
  14. Matthew Tate

yes. I meant if they weren't going to do any other deluxe editions at least release a 2 cd set of stuff the fans want to hear or is hard to get.

Pouchkine likes this.
  15. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

More nonsense from you as usual.

16. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

You mean the Vault Video Archive DVD? This one only has 8 songs from the Sheffield show. Or is there another one? We need the full show! Also Montreal 1996 is a great show they have the soundboard recording, superb 21 songs setlist and according to them the loudest crowd they ever had.

17. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

The first two albums have huge potential for great Deluxe Editions. I can't think of too many other archival releases from them. OTTN HND Sheffield Montreal.

Matthew Tate and Andrew Smith like this.
  18. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

Glad you love me.

19. Maniacon \m/

Maniacon \m/ Forum Resident

I've been on a huge DL kick lately. HND has got to be a top 15-20 all-time album. It's amazing the band doesn't revere this album as the classic that it is.
    It should've been the 1st to get the deluxe treatment IMO.

jamesc and Pouchkine like this.
  20. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

The band has played no less than 7 of the 10 songs on recent tours. They put 6 songs from it on their definitive 2CD compilation vs. 4 from Adrenalize. Joe spoke about the album recently and I think he pretty much said he really loved almost all of the songs. Vivian spoke many times how he really loved this album. If they find a live show there will be a Deluxe Edition I'm sure, but the extra tracks-unreleased ones are more from OTTN I think.

Maniacon \m/ likes this.
  21. Andrew Smith

Considering it would make them a lot of money in sales I don't know what's stopping them. Probably their ongoing battle with Universal Music Group over royalties.

Tree of Life and Pouchkine like this.
  22. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

I always wondered if the song On Through the Night was a left over from the debut album but obviously re-recorded? If it was it would be interesting to hear the original.

23. Maniacon \m/

Maniacon \m/ Forum Resident

See Post #46 in this thread... It is a nice commentary from Joe regarding the 35th anniversary of the album.

dvcarrick and Pouchkine like this.
  24. Andrew Smith

This interview with Joe Elliot indicates that the master tapes are missing for On Through The Night, but he's talking about not being to remix it, which makes me think he's talking about the multi-tracks and not the 2-track mix master. The latter would've been needed to be sent to be mastered before LP pressing.

This makes me think that the 2-track master was/is kept in a separate building and not the same building that the multi-tracks were held in where they were destroyed.

Also, two tracks from that album (Rock Brigade and Wasted) were remastered for "Rock Of Ages: The Definitive Collection" in 2004/05.

Joe Elliott of Def Leppard

Pouchkine and DreamIsOver like this.
  25. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

I would not mind upgrading my West German CD's of On Through the Night and High 'n' Dry. 2 of my favorite all-time albums right there. I bought both back in 1981 on LP (wish I still had those) and I was hooked. Nobody at school knew who the heck I was raving about..until two years later. I have the SHM's of both but slightly prefer the WG's.

Hopefully, if they do DE's, UME will remaster them more like the Kiss 2014 remasters, and do hi res releases of them. The other Def Lep DE's were too loud. Only one of the Kiss remasters came out as a DE.

Pouchkine likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.