Definitive Tech D11 Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by hfarrior3, Jul 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hfarrior3

hfarrior3 Worst pressing ever ... Thread Starter

So I've been eyeing the Def Tech D11's to purchase toward the end of the year. They were listed for $999 and now they have dropped to $799.

Do I need to go ahead and jump on them at this price or will they still be around toward the end of the year? I don't know much about pricing/marketing of this type of stuff so I wasn't sure if they were discontinuing production and coming out with a newer model before Christmas or what.

Thanks in advance.

2. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I have some Def Tech in my HT that I'm happy with (L,R,Center) - but at that price I'd likely be looking at the KEF LS50s.

3. hfarrior3

I looked into KEF LS50s. My only concern is their efficiency. I run a low watt tube amp and currently have some Dali Zensor 1's (which are technically not efficient enough either but they sound fine to me); I wouldn't want to go below those however. I think the Dali's are 88 and the KEF's are 85; the Def Tech D11's are in the 90's I believe.

4. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

possibly the most overlooked high quality high value speaker on the market. i would take these over the buchardt s400s based on my listening experiences with each (both use passive radiators to extend the low end).
    they aren't pretty but they sound big, clear and smooth.

5. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I heard the D11 speakers at last Fall’s NY Audio show and was very impressed. They were playing with a top if the line Marantz system including the new flagship SACD Ruby unit.

6. hfarrior3

Have you heard the KEF LS50's?

7. avanti1960

yes, I have owned the KEF LS50s.

8. hfarrior3

Are the worth the extra $200 over the D11's?

9. avanti1960

it depends on a number of things.
    after living with the LS50s my personal preference would be the D11s all the way. They sound much bigger, have much better bass depth and impact and are more lively / efficient / dynamic. Also they are very smooth and fatigue free as well as having a good amount of transparency.
    the LS50s are sweet sounding but demanding of amplifier power and quality and do not have the greatest dynamics, deep bass or impact and sound best at lower volumes. You hear the LS50s and you want more- but it can't deliver.

hfarrior3 and CraigC like this.
  10. hfarrior3

Thanks. as I posted earlier I'm running a 10W tube amp and need some really efficient speakers and would like a little more bass than what my Zensor 1's are giving me.

11. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

I think it’s unpredictable if the price for a new pair will drop further. I’d keep an eye on the used market. I got a like new pair of D11’s for $550 shipped on eBay (best offer accepted).

hfarrior3 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.