Deleted 12,000+ Digital Files

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockin_since_58, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Projection (Psychological)

1) An unconscious self-defense mechanism characterized by a person unconsciously attributing their own issues onto someone or something else as a form of delusion and denial.

2) A way to blame others for your own negative thoughts by repressing them and then attributing them to someone else. Due to the sorrowful nature of delusion and denial it is very difficult for the target to be able to clarify the reality of the situation.

3) A way to transfer guilt for your own thoughts, emotions and actions onto another as a way of not admitting your guilt to yourself.

tmtomh and pathosdrama like this.
  2. There may be a generational divide here, and seems those that are anti- cd seem to only have a context of them remembering when national retailers carried them. Thus, when it is no longer carried by those retailers it is no longer viable. Most of those retailers dropped books, yet bookstores continue, even when B&N inevitably goes down, people will still read. Short tail memories can not make long tail decisions.

klockwerk, Guy E, jay.dee and 3 others like this.
  3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I think this misconstrues the discussion. I am of the opinion that physical media is definitely going away, but it's not because I want that to happen or prefer it. My entire musical life is built around physical media: CDs, vinyl, dvd-a, sacd. Nevertheless, I can see the writing on the wall, as it were. I don't think that very many people here are streaming only and HATE cds and want them all to go away. That's not really what's being argued.

Starwanderer, tmtomh and John Grimes like this.
  4. Catfish Stevens

Catfish Stevens Forum Resident

Who's divided, what format wars, generation thing? I'm 55 and have both physical and files: cassettes, LPs, CDs, flac, ape, shn, wavepack, alac and even mp3 from before i discovered lossless in 2000. I don't stream though, well, not from a service, you guys consider watching a YouTube video streaming (is it streaming when the video is a static picture and not the promo video?)

dkmonroe likes this.
  5. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

It's obvious that he has physical media too. Tell me what the benefit is of deleting all the tracks that one has already ripped from their physical media besides all the countless hours needed for managing and backing them up that the OP apparently has to do.

ARK, tmtomh and dkmonroe like this.
  6. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Yeah, YouTube isn't really much different from Spotify Free really - it's a form of streaming.

ARK likes this.
  7. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

You're right, I don't get that part. Maybe the OP is going senile?

Synthfreek likes this.
  8. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Your comment/avatar inspires

Indoor Goalposts
    Little Goalposts
    Tiny Goalposts

9. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

Yeah they both have extremely squashed sound and zero dynamics, just the way I love to stream my music! Yay!

10. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

How can you know this to be true if you've no experience with downloading?

ARK, Starwanderer, SF Georgie and 3 others like this.
  11. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

One does not have download files to know that physical media is THE best way to enjoy music. So bizarre that people have to explain this over and over!

12. Catfish Stevens

Is YouTube streaming when it's a non-music video? Does Spotify have cat videos or interviews or news clips? Perhaps being SPOTify it would have dog videos instead of cat videos.

dkmonroe likes this.
  13. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Who bothers?

tmtomh likes this.
  14. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

Sorry but you're still missing out, my friend. Artwork and liner notes, the tangible aspect of the album are integral parts of the listening experience! Playing back files are like driving a car without the doors or the windshield, just feels WRONG.

15. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

How can you tell someone they're "missing out" when they say they're not?

Artwork and liner notes are not integral parts of the listening experience. If they were, music would never have survived thousands of years to make it into the age of recording.

They are interesting adjuncts . . . for some people.

16. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Okay.

I own vinyl but had it not been for digital music and my collection of it I wouldn't even be here, nor would I have likely ever gotten into most of the music I like now.

Also if you're using a digital hifi then you're just being arbitrary, fwiw.

17. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

For he is JeatlePyle The Omniscient, obviously.

subzro likes this.
  18. I have hundreds of CDs loaded into iTunes now for iPod and car playback but never seem to listen to those files, I always play a CD, SACD, DVD-A or Blu-ray disc when listening to music at home and CD in the car. I haven't backed up my iTunes files although I have purchased a hard drive for that purpose so I could lose all of my digital music files but I would never deliberately delete the files. I may embrace listening to those files at some point, almost all are ALAC and sound is good to my ears.

19. INSW

INSW Senior Member

All true, for me. I've said before that I think I actually get more now out of the music I listen to without all the hoopla. Liner notes, how they're arranged on the shelf, etc. Hooray for anyone who wants all that but I'm lighter without it and it feels good.

mando_dan and tmtomh like this.
  20. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Or to add on to that, how one method is inherently less "real" or meaningful than another just because there is no physical disk to hold

ARK and tmtomh like this.
  21. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

All of that should end with the phrase "to me" though - all in all, there is no wrong way to listen to music if it feels right to the individual

ARK likes this.
  22. INSW

INSW Senior Member

I have a blind friend who loves old jazz. Will talk to anybody for hours about Coltrane. I'll let him know he's been missing out all these years because he can't see the tangible aspects of the liner notes and album spines.

23. Catfish Stevens

Is it "less real" that I listen to my CDs as the flac files i ripped from them to my hard drive? I can look at the art too from discogs on my 55 inch monitor, way larger than lp art.

24. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Are you holding the monitor when you're looking at the artwork? I think you have to be holding it for it to count.

25. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Hey, to each their own - if someone doesn't want to stream files, or doesn't want to deal with physical media, or wants to look at a monitor, or wants to hold artwork, then that's how they should do it. But don't mistake your personal preference for an objective best practice that's superior to what others like to do. (And really, we're adults and we're talking about what "counts" and "doesn't count"?!?)

Personally, I value physical media and file streaming equally, because each one helps enhance my enjoyment of the other. Keeping physical media around has shown me that I get more enjoyment and immersion out of listening to full albums. Conversely, digital files have given me tons of music and masterings I value highly - high-res files; live bootlegs; unreleased outtakes; digitized FM recordings and concert webcasts; rare, unreleased promos with unique mastering; rips of old vinyl pressings and 78s; digital-only singles; Bandcamp albums; and so on. It's essential stuff I wouldn't be without - just as I wouldn't be without my favorite physical media albums. Not to mention that when it comes to multi-disc sets, especially live albums, I find digital file playback to be the more album-like and immersive experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.