Deleted scenes that have never been seen

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sidewinder572, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

The 1998 film "54" was reportedly heavily cut and that the director's cut plays like a different film.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned earlier but the Eric Stoltz as Marty McFly scenes in "Back to the Future" (a few shots were released not too long ago).

2. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

The Lori Petty footage from Demolition Man, from before she was replaced by Sandra Bullock. I believe the livingroom "future sex" scene was one of the scenes shot, and the sense from the dailies was that Stallone and Petty did not have chemistry.

Another Lori Petty bit: The prologue of Tank Girl has not been released, but it circulated for years on VHS with incomplete special effects, released (so the story goes) by the director who was angry with the studio for not funding the special effects needed to finish the film properly. The prologue involved a very young tank girl surviving the comet which struck the earth thanks to her being inside one of those rounded chrome camper-trailers built in the 1950s. The situation reminds me of Buckaroo Banzai, in that both prologues feature the main characters as children - but the prologue of Buckaroo Banzai (with Jamie Lee Curtis as Banzai's mom) made it to the DVD extras, unlike the prologue for Tank Girl, which has been left unreleased.

3. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

The excellent Uma Thurman / Luke Wilson romantic comedy My Super Ex Girlfriend has some deleted scenes on the dvd but I seem to recall that they do not include a scene (shown in promo photos) of G-Girl showing her giant walk-in closet (full of various G-Girl costumes) to Luke Wilson's character. And there are also photos indicating a longer conversation between them on Liberty Island.

Man I want that film on BluRay. But I'm not willing to spend $$$ on the Japan release of it.

4. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

The film's trailer shows some scenes not in the finished film.

5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I just thought this was a great thread and wanted to bump it. :)

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I think there's still a chance there around. He supposedly destroyed his props from his films, but they keep turning up.

7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I think I've mention this before here, but I wrote the ad copy for "Leon: The Professional" and had to watch the rough cut. I hate watching rough cuts, they're generally painful. Anyway, in the movie Portman is kinda doing this little girl flirting with Leon. You know sorta prepubescent mostly innocent stuff. In the rough cut of the movie there was a scene where Natalie Portman greets Leon as he walks up the stairs. She plops down on the floor above him and throws her legs wide open speading them between two banister railings. She's not nude or anything, but she was either in her panties or short short PJs, but it was an unabashedly sexual move - a Bob Fosse kind of move. I spit up, my soda, and was like "What the hell?! Isn't this girl like 13!" Needless to say, that scene never made it in the movie -- so I'm told. I never bothered to watch the finished film.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  8. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

There was an opening scene to Sexy Beast that I saw on the original dvd from Netflix years ago.
    Pretty graphic and brutal. It shocked even me.
    I've never seen it since on any other release - or online. Friend of mine owns a video store, and even he's never seen this bit. I guess it was too controversial. But they should have kept it.
    Funny how there wasn't so much as a whiff of this scene online since they deleted it.

9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I loved Sexy Beast to death when it came out. That was such a great film. So well acted. And the first time I'd ever seen Ian McShane. What a bad guy! Of course, Ben Kingsley was no slouch either...

10. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Not surprised to read this. They cut a lot of it out, but there's definitely some Lolita-esque undertones even in the final film. If memory serves, more of the innuendo was left in for the international cut, though not the scene you describe.

11. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

The original creature in Alien was transparent. The head was to be filled with maggots for effect. But when they started shooting the maggots stopped moving under the hot lights. So the whole suit was redone.

Photos of the suit have surfaced (it still exists). But footage they shot hasn't.

Johnny66 and hi_watt like this.
  12. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Hopefully this was not already mentioned in this thread, but this deleted scene from The Last Samurai is quite well done.

13. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Ryan Phillipe was on Stern last week and said the director's cut of "54" will be out shortly.

14. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Where did you see them? I'd be interested in checking them out.... strictly for research purposes, of course.... :evil: ;)

I know there was originally about a minute of footage deleted from the film to get an R-rating for theatrical release, but it was restored for the unrated DVD.

15. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut Well-Known Member

The original ending of Horse Feathers supposedly had the Marx Brothers playing cards while the college burned down.
    If it was ever filmed, it's never turned up.

16. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

17. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

How about Woodstock. There must be a couple of days worth of deleted footage from that one!
    I would love to sit down for a weekend and see that!

18. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

http://mentalfloss.com/article/63436/15-things-you-might-not-know-about-dr-strangelove

Conflicting rumors attribute the scrapping of the scene to the Kennedy assassination (with Turgidson’s “our beloved president” line coming off as inappropriate in the context of JFK’s death) and Kubrick’s feeling that the scene simply didn’t work creatively. The idea was scrapped following the Nov. 22 test screening and has been shown publicly only once: at a screening of the film at London's National Film Theatre in 1999, immediately following Kubrick’s death.

Picture Show (A thread for interesting photos from the world of movies and TV)* »

[​IMG]

fr in sc likes this.
  19. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Rita Hayworth in a scene deleted from The Lady From Shanghai

[​IMG]

20. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

This was the first movie I thought of when I saw the thread title. I hope that a copy of the lost cut of 'Ambersons' is found before my time is up. That would be a dream come true for me. There's a great book called 'The Magnificent Ambersons: A Reconstruction' where the author has taken all of the evidence and pieced the original script back together and discusses all of the events surrounding the production of the film. It's an essential read for Welles fans.

Off the top of my head, there are a number of silent-era movies that have been lost due to fires and such that I would love to see. Erich von Stroheim's 'Greed,' of course, is at the top of that list. Many of Melies' earliest films have been lost as well which is an absolute travesty because his work was so innovative and beautiful. Some of John Ford's early silent features have been lost. There are many others certainly.

21. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Wasn't there a sequence cut from MASH involving Hotlips arriving/lesaving? Can't remember which... And another involving the kid, Ho-Jon, that was cit to make more room for the football game?

22. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

The Shining originally had an epilogue with Danny and Wendy recovering in the hospital. It was cut before the premiere.

23. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Greed is great at 140 mins. Don't know if I could take 8 hours of it.

24. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Yes, it was certainly an interesting idea:

[​IMG]

Toy company NECA have produced action figures of this prototype Alien. The 7" version is currently available, with the large 1/4 scale (i.e. 22-24 inches tall) to be released later this year.

[​IMG]

25. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Nice shoes! :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.