Deleted scenes that have never been seen

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sidewinder572, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

I hope Ridley Scott uses this guy in the new movie.

2. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

Every mention of Italy was cut from A Night at the Opera after the Italians invaded France in '40 and joined the war on Hitler's side. Until then Italy had had a relatively benign reputation, even though Mussolini and his Fascisti were pompous thugs.

3. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

The tail end of The Adventures of Robin Hood, where Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland ride off together on the same horse; a bit of it exists in the trailer for the film.

4. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

Most people didn't have the attitude that movies were works of art that needed preserving; it was just entertainment. During World War II the French melted down umpteen thousands of reels of movie film for re-use as shoe polish!

5. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Same here. Never heard of that, and would have been odd for Laurie, considering the argument she and Steve had in his car.
    I am happy two scenes (Harrison sings! Car salesman in a rocking chair) were added for home video.

6. Where are you Simon

Where are you Simon Well-Known Member

Lots of school friends of mine ended up on the cutting room floor of Lindsay Anderson's classic If.

Siegmund likes this.
  7. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The sausage factory sequence in Hitchcock's Torn Curtain. Newman meets the brother of the agent he killed working in a sausage factory using a knife just like the one used on the brother. For whatever reason, Paul Newman had final cut approval and he wanted the scene out. Hitch told Trauffault (sp) he would send him the scene, but he never did.

Also the Barbara Lee Hunt saliva shot in Frenzy never made it to the final cut.

Jerry Horne likes this.
  8. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

The intended director's cut of 1998's The Avengers was eviscerated from 115 minutes to 89 minutes when WB lost their nerve, thinking it was "too British" for American audiences; the director's cut was as good as finished considering it was offered to the BFI in 1999 but they turned it down and it's never been seen since. Director Jeremiah Chechick has offered to go back and restore it for free, but the studio is unsurprisingly uninterested.

Joel Schumacher's original and preferred cut of Batman Forever ran nearly 160 minutes and was actually shown to the press in early screenings, but WB insisted it be a more digestible two-hour running time, and it was cut accordingly. Schumacher too has stated publicly he'd be willing to go back and restore that version at any time, but Warners isn't interested... and that does surprise me, presumably the studio aren't averse to making money, and with that film part of a highly profitable larger franchise, it would be both a worthy venture and a nice little earner too. We've seen some deleted scenes (presented separately from the main film, of course) on subsequent ancillary releases, but there's a whole lot more never seen publicly since those early screenings in mid-1995...

9. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

The cut scenes from Swing Shift in Jonathan Demme's director's cut.

10. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

There are scenes from "Purple Rain" shown briefly in the trailer, but the full versions are supposedly gone. You can see The Kid fighting with Jellybean from The Time in their rehearsal space for an instant.

11. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Have you ever seen the Demme cut? Just curious.

12. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

No, I would love to. I don't think we ever will. Now that Demme is gone, I think the likelihood is even less nowadays.

13. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

If you look it up on the net, it says "VHS copies circulate." I've never even heard of one!

14. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

And, of course, the pre-CGI version of Han's encounter with Jabba the Hut, in which Jabba was played by Sylvia Kristel.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    jdw likes this.
  15. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

The Log Scene from Bruce Lee's Game of Death. There are actually a couple of missing bits from the filmed footage. I believe this footage, as currently restored to be Lee's best. If they could find this footage, it would actually make for a complete short film.

[​IMG]

16. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member

I always wanted to do this with Fast Times at Ridgemont High! The TV version has extra scenes.

17. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

I'm working on an old memory here, but I recall reading somewhere that the film was also sequenced differently in his original cut. If I am remembering this correctly, the scene that opens the film, of Batman stopping Two-Face from taking hostages and saving the security guard, originally occurred midway through the movie, just after Chase Meridian gets Batman's attention by activating the Bat-Signal. If you watch the later scene closely, you can hear police sirens in the background, which would have lead up to the scene that now opens the movie.

18. ericc2000

ericc2000 Forum Resident

I've done that one too.

19. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

Jim Henson's "The Dark Crystal" was completely re-dubbed after a preview when the audience complained they had trouble understanding the British/Irish/Scottish voicings done for the puppets.
    Don't know if the original dub survived (I was at the preview.)

Depending on who to believe, the original 70mm reels of the Russian "War and Peace" are still rotting in a warehouse somewhere in Russia or Ukraine.
    The film is only available in the dodgy 35mm version held by Gosfilmofond. What a waste for a film that was made as a national 'statement'.
    Perhaps not "unseen" but collectors say the couple of surviving 70mm touring prints are all that is left to give even an approximation of what a restoration could look like.

"Greed" has been mentioned, and it is really the poster child for this whole thread. The 8-hr version, screened once at a preview...and then the massacre began.

C.

20. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Has the Jackie Gleason IS the Bandit version of Smokey and the Bandit 3 without Jerry Reed ever been released in any form? Or scenes of Jackie as this other character?

Curious to see Jackie play a different character (in addition to his Sheriff Buford), which apparently test audiences didn't like (or they got confused - remember, this was a Smokey and the Bandit audience, so perhaps all it required was a 1-minute "last time in the Smokey and the Bandit" series refresher) - so they got Jerry Reed back and re-filmed.

Jeff

Benno123 likes this.
  21. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Dr. Goldfoot And The Bikini Machine

The movie was originally supposed to be a musical, and if I remember correctly in an interview Vincent Price said they filmed the songs but deleted them from the final movie. Some of the songs turned up in the following Shindig! episode:

fr in sc likes this.
  22. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

The Collector (1965): all Kenneth More's scenes were cut.

23. Indy500

Indy500 Forum Resident

Planet of the Apes 1968 - A scene that takes place on the trip to the Forbidden Zone at the end of the movie. It must of been cut late because the scene is depicted on the 1968 Topps trading cards. Footage has never been shown though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BadJack, profholt82 and Big Pasi like this.
  24. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

The footage shot for Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone with Peeves (played by Rik Mayall) has never been released yet.

25. Almost all of the excised scenes, except for one or two, have been found albeit in horribly damaged quality. A “complete” version of the film has been released.

Missing scenes from Fritz Lang's Metropolis turn up after 80 years

I am still holding out hope that the remaining lost segments will be released.

fr in sc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.