Denny Doherty R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David Powell, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

What a shame this is. Denny had a truly distinctive voice...he put so much feeling into his singing. Combine it with great songs and outstanding harmonies, and you get some of the 60s most memorable recordings.

I'm gonna give "Look Through My Window," my all-time favorite Mamas and Papas song, a spin tonight.

RIP and thank you, Denny.

2. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

$hit! Some surprises are good. This is NOT one of them. Rest in peace indeed, Denny!

3. TheNomadicSoul

TheNomadicSoul Active Member

This is so sad, I can't put it into words. RIP Denny. :(

4. munson66

munson66 Forum Dilettante

To snag a line from "Creeque Alley," Denny, you know there weren't many who could sing a song the way that you did. And made it seem so effortless. You'll be sorely missed.

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Another sad reminder of how long ago those years were.

Another great Nova Scotian gone.

RIP

6. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

This leaves only Michelle...this is truly a sad day,indeed. The world has lost a true gentleman and a hell of a great singer. R.I.P.,Friend...you'll be truly missed by us all.:cry: Michael Boyce

7. Doonie

Doonie New Member

This was a shock. Much too young.

8. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

Man, what a drag! RIP - Denny.

9. Doonie

Doonie New Member

I'm originally from Nova Scotia, also. I felt the same sadness when John Allan Cameron passed away.

10. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Very sad news...why are so many musical people passing away in recent times?! :(

11. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Very sad news indeed...

R.I.P. Denny

12. MusicGal968

MusicGal968 Active Member

He had a wonderful voice, and will be very much missed. RIP, Denny, and thank you for all the great music.

13. rhkwon

rhkwon Forum Resident

I did'nt even know he was in bad health. RIP

14. nojasa

nojasa Forum Resident

I liked that show. Used to watch it with one of my kids. ...Anyway, it's sad news. Only 66. Too young. I'll be playing some Mamas & Papas tonight....

15. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley New Member

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003535281

Mamas And The Papas' Doherty Dies At 66
    January 19, 2007, 5:15 PM ET

Denny Doherty, one-quarter of the 1960s folk-rock group the Mamas and the Papas, known for their soaring harmony on hits like "California Dreamin'" and "Monday, Monday," died today (Jan. 19) at 66. His sister Frances Arnold said the singer/songwriter died at his home in Mississauga, a city just west of Toronto, after a short illness.

The group burst on the national scene in 1966 with the top 10 smash "California Dreamin'." The Mamas and the Papas broke new ground by having women and men in one group at a time when most singing groups were unisex. John Phillips, the group's chief songwriter; his wife, Michelle; and another female vocalist, Cass Elliot, teamed with Doherty.

"Monday, Monday" hit No. 1 on the charts and won the band a Grammy for best contemporary group performance. Among the group's other songs were "I Saw Her Again Last Night," "Go Where You Wanna Go," "Dancing Bear," and versions of "I Call Your Name" and "Dedicated to the One I Love." The group was a 1998 inductee into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

But the Mamas and the Papas' heyday was brief and it disbanded in 1968 following John and Michelle Phillips' divorce. The members re-formed in 1971 for the album "People Like Us," but all hope for a reunion ended in 1974 when the 30-year-old Elliot choked and suffered a fatal heart attack while eating a sandwich in London.

Phillips briefly re-formed the group in 1982 with Doherty, Phillips' actress daughter, Mackenzie, and Elaine "Spanky" McFarlane. The foursome toured playing oldies and new Phillips originals. John Phillips died in 2001 at 65.

In 2003, Doherty was co-author and performer in an off-Broadway show called "Dream a Little Dream: The Mamas and the Papas Musical," which traced the band's early years, its dizzying fame and breakup.

The Halifax-born Doherty started his music career in Montreal in 1960 as the co-founder of the Colonials, which later became the Halifax Three.

Doherty made a solo album in 1974 and achieved a bit of immortality by both playing the Harbormaster and voicing all the characters for the children's TV series "Theodore Tugboat."

16. Bruce

Bruce Senior Member

What a voice !
    You will be missed ,Denny

17. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

I hope the heavenly choir isn't eager to get the fourth part of those harmonies.:shake:

18. child of nature

child of nature dreaming, more or less

I was so shocked when I heard the report on the evening news that I began to cry. :cry: I'm going to watch Monterey Pop tonight...I always loved his voice, and I also enjoyed interviews he has given over the years--He always seemed very articulate and warm.

RIP, Denny.

19. Wow, this really came out of nowhere. Very sad news indeed... :cry:

20. Johnny Connor

Johnny Connor New Member

Oh man,this is sad.Another musical legend passes too quickly!RIP Denny Doherty:cry:

21. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Really, really sad. All these 50 and 60 year olds dying.

It just seems like yesterday listening to the Mamas and the Papas.

RIP Denny

22. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Denny really had a great voice. R.I.P.

23. Jack Son #9 Dream

Jack Son #9 Dream lofi hip hop is good

This is so sad to hear. The music world has lost another great one.

:(

24. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Just saw a bio on tv about her,very,very interesting. To this day nobody knows who the father is of her daughter.
    Sad news about Denny.:(

25. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

Picked the 3 CD set of the Ed Sullivan music appearances a few weeks back. They included most if not all of the Mama and Papa's appearances and it was such a delight to see this. Now this sad news. My he be joined by Poppa John & Momma Cass in heaven and sing & rejoice in song.

God Bless him!

Rick A.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.