Denny Laine

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Hatter, Nov 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RocknBluz

RocknBluz Member

What happened to safe money Paul when he married Heather :confused: He really messed up with that gold digging **** !!!

2. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Look I'm not saying Denny Laine isn't a flawed person. Most of my favorite artists are DEEPLY flawed in one way or another and that includes Paul McCartney.

And I'm sure you're not implying that Laine's waste of money on partying, etc. is unique to rock'n'roll. And to compare some third world situation with a rock star is apples and oranges. Surely Laine earned his money too I'd say.

Plus I think it's a tad judgmental to kick Denny like you seem to be doing. We don't really know the situation on a personal level so perhaps we should not pretend to.

3. Calico

Calico Senior Member

"Japanese Tears" exists on CD, but... guess under what title? "Denny Laine featuring Paul McCartney" in a cheap series called The Collection on a label called Object Enterprises.
    See here: http://www.discogs.com/Denny-Laine-Featuring-Paul-McCartney-The-Collection/release/2581116

But it runs too fast when compared to the LP.

By the way, his 1982 LP "Anyone Can Fly", produced by Norman 'Hurricane' Smith and only released in France and Germany, is very good.

Does somebody know 1978's single "The Baby, She's On The Street" by Jona Lewie? The b-side is this...
    [​IMG]

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I take comments about Paul being cheap with a sandbox. With his level of fame and wealth he has certainly been hit up for $ thousands of times in the last 48 years. Anyone in that position would become expert at saying no, leaving thousands of disgruntled people to air their gripes.

5. Calico

Calico Senior Member

6. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I stand corrected. There is a BGO CD with both AHH ... LAINE! and HOLLY DAYS on it that's out of print. I have a French standalone CD of HOLLY DAYS, myself, and it's good.

What's more, it appears JAPANESE TEARS was fully released (with that title and the original b&w artwork) in Japan some years back.

I'm a fountain of bad information today, for which I apologize. Now I stop posting 'til I get my act together.

7. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

I have a Denny Laine CD called Wings at the Sound of Denny Laine. Its remakes of his Wings songs plus some of Paul's. Not great, but not bad either.

[​IMG]

8. winojunko76

winojunko76 Forum Resident

If Paul barely mentions Jimmy when it comes time to promote V&M I'm gonna be one upset individual.

In regards to Denny, I have an alright quality scan of an interview he did with the Daily Express in November 1981 where he talks about his Wings days. I can type it out if anybody would be interested in reading it.

9. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Yes please !
    November 1981 was also the time he released his first post-Wings single, "Who Moved The World?" (backed with the Wings track "Weep For Love"), and he sang that song live on UK TV at the time. Never saw it, but I'd love to.

And I'd love to find recordings of the short UK tour Denny did in July 1980, with Steve Holly on drumming duties. If anybody has some idea...

10. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Yeah it's not bad. But his voice is pretty rough at times. Live these days his voice sounds much better.

winojunko76... scan it or type it! I'd love to read it.

The coolest songs to me that Denny recorded were the late 60s "Catherine's Wheel" (which might be here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVbEfk_Zve8 ) and his original version of "Say You Don't Mind." (possibly here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkm5WW3g4kA )

11. winojunko76

winojunko76 Forum Resident

From the November 17th, 1981 edition of the Daily Express.

Wings man Denny is happier now he flies solo (and certain he won't even be brought down by success)

Life was certainly looking buoyant for singer-guitarist Denny Laine as he sailed into London on his newly-purchased £75,000 yacht "Louis Philippe." Reclining on deck in the crisp morning sunshine, he remarked: "It's no good being a musician if you have nowhere or no one to play to."

He was referring to his days with Wings, which he quit this year, tired of both living in Paul McCartney's shadow and the lack of activity.

"It was an impossible situation," said Laine, who has now launched himself into a solo career. "Paul's not a Beatle anymore. He's a household name, and a celebrity. It wasn't like being in a group where we were all equal."

Laine became frustrated by being so static. Spending months making an album or months doing nothing at all. He wanted to be on the road playing to audiences.

"Seeing other bands out there playing, you are bound to feel a bit of envy," he said. "But Paul didn't want to do the things I wanted to do. Like touring the world with the band, and making a hell of a lot of money. Because after all, that's what you do it for. I stuck it out for 10 years but eventually I couldn't see any positive future. We were coming to the point where we just couldn't make decisions. Why knock your head against a brick wall if you can go into another garden and play there?"

One of the episodes that brought things to a head was the cancellation of the group's Japanese tour when Paul was arrested for possessing marijuana, packed in his suitcase.

"I was ashamed - I really was," said Laine. "I didn't know whose fault it was. The fact of the matter is, it happened. The kids were looking forward to seeing us, and I was looking forward to the tour." A tour worth over a quarter of a million.

During the last few months, he has been working on a solo album "Anyone Can Fly" at the Rock City Studios, in Shepperton - a rock n roll musicians's dream centre which Laine himself helped to set up.

This month he releases one of his new love songs as a single, "Who Moved The World?"

Apart from being admired as a guitarist by fellow musicians, Laine has written several musical successes. They include "Say You Don't Mind," "London Town," and "Mull of Kintyre" written with McCartney, a song which became the biggest selling single in the United Kingdom, reaching over three million.

Before that, as a member of the Moody Blues, he put out the rock classic "Go Now" into the charts.

Although he began life as an electrician's son in industrial Birmingham, the youngest of five children living in a council house. He said: "I got a lot of love and could share my problems with someone, even if I was a bit of a tearaway. If I made money, the family would share in it. That's why if I ever get brought down, I think, wait a minute, I've got responsibilities."

Music has made him one of the elite members of the rock fraternity. He owns five cars, including a Rolls Royce, Ferrarl and Daimler - although he can't drive a single one of them at the moment because of a three year driving ban imposed last April.

He's a motor racing fanatic too and is sponsoring Formula Three driver David Coyne. Denny advertises his Weybridge music shop and recording projects on the race ace's car.

Laine lives in a large country mansion in Sussex, once owned by A.A. Milne, author of 'Winnie the Pooh.' He is married to a lively American singer, Jo Jo and they have two children.

"We don't live the normal life," he admitted of his relationship with Jo Jo. "Sexually and otherwise we are very open and liberal. I lead my life and she leads hers. We are happy that way." I like my freedom and I've had a lot of trouble with women. Sometimes I wish I wasn't so independent."

There's definitely a mischievousness about Denny's hooded brown eyes. He likes to live it up and certainly did so with a vengeance throughout the indulgent sixties.

"I remember meeting The Beatles one night and got so drunk that they took me home and stuck me in a cool bath to sober me up. Afterwards we jumped into the car and went straight back to the club."

He has never felt threatened by the rock business or feared ending up a casualty like Presley, Keith Moon, Jimi Hendrix, Rolling Stone Brian Jones or Wings' own guitarist, Jimmy McCulloch.

He has an in built, down to earth safety valve and doesn't take show business too seriously.

In fact, he strongly believes several of the rock performers who destroyed themselves did so because they had a death wish.

"In some cases they were like spoiled children, always looking for attention. If they didn't get it, they went over the top."

Denny has one night of deep regret - the night Brian Epstein died in August 1967. That same night he had been knocking on the door of Epstein's house in Belgravia, where he was due for a meeting. All the lights were on but no one answered.

"The next day we read that Epstein was inside and had died. I felt awful. You immediately think "If only I could have done something."

Hep Alien likes this.
  12. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Now that I'm aware AHHH ... LAINE! was once released on CD — albeit as part of a two-fer — I've gotta find me a copy. I love that album.

Calico likes this.
  13. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Huh? I'm trying to think of a way this statement could make sense, and it doesn't. He was MORE a celebrity in 1980 than as a Beatle?

14. maccacollector

maccacollector Member

Interesting connection with Epstein.
    Wasn't aware of that...thanks for the article.

maccacollector

15. quinnit

quinnit New Member

Absolutely! VERY interested!!!

16. Pureprairie1972

Pureprairie1972 New Member

I never knew that either. Wow!

17. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Two years ago, he was scheduled to play a free show in Freehold, NJ with a guy from the second incarnation of the Hollies. (I forgot his name). It was to be in the parking lot of the Municipal building. It was rained out. Last year, he played a show at $20 a ticket in a very small hotel in Freehold, NJ. Imagine, one day you're playing to thousands as in the Seattle Kingdome and then in a parking lot in central NJ. He squandered all earnings from those years with Macca. Even sold his rights to the songs he co-wrote with him too.

18. LaserKen

LaserKen Senior Member

19. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

It's sad, but I have a hard time feeling bad for him. After reading that 1981 interview, I got the impression that he was just a big kid with a lot of expensive toys and a shaky domestic life at best.

20. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

Denny's contribution to Wings is always getting overshadowed by Linda McCartney. I recently heard the B-side "I Lie Around" with Denny's vocals, and it made me wish there was more. Can anyone recommend more Wings songs with Denny vocals, or other notable contributions from Denny? He co-wrote Mull of Kintyre, didn't he?

21. Poor Napoleon

Poor Napoleon Forum Resident

Yes, he co-wrote Mull of Kintyre plus No Words and a bunch of songs on London Town.

Wings songs sung by Denny:
    I Lie Around (B side)
    Spirits of Ancient Egypt (Venus and Mars)
    The Note You Never Wrote (Wings at the Speed of Sound)
    Time to Hide (Wings at the Speed of Sound)
    Richard Corey (Wings over America)
    Go Now (Wings over America)
    Children Children (London Town)
    Deliver Your Children (London Town)
    Again and Again and Again (Back to the Egg)

Also three Wings outtakes on Denny's solo album Japanese Tears:
    Send Me the Heart
    I Would Only Smile
    Weep for Love

Did I forget any?

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. Poor Napoleon

Poor Napoleon Forum Resident

Not really a Wings song, but Rainclouds (B side of Ebony and Ivory) was written by Paul and Denny.

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

I was just down the record store and saw Japanese tears on the Scratch label - is this pressing any good? If not, what is the best pressing?

24. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

In the Paul bio Blackbird Denny talks about Paul withholding money from him that he could easily have bought his house outright with

He also talks about recording up in scotland and living in the barn

25. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

His point, I think, was that as a Beatle he was one of 4 guys. They were equals. In Wings, he's too big of a name to ever have a band of equals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.