Denon DP35F with Dynamic Servo Tracer Arm - Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gretsch6136, Mar 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi all,

I've noticed an unusual behaviour with this tonearm when starting a record. After pressing the start button the stylus gently lowers down into the groove. After a second or two in the groove I can see the whole tonearm seem to jolt down for moment (as if the tracking force is momentarily increased) and then returns to normal.

Its only for a split second and the operation of the turntable in all other respects is fine. Its not the record as it does it on all records. I have noticed that if I subsequently lift the arm and return it to the lead-in groove by hand, the jolt doesn't happen, but if I press the start button again and it returns automatically to the lead-in, the jolt will happen again as described.

Anyone with experience with these arms know what's going on? I'm wondering if its a self calibration for tracking weight or Q-damping? Its a bit of a pain because you can hear the jolt through the speakers.

Thanks,

Mark

2. Gretsch6136

3. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

I had a Denton dp47f quite a few years ago.
    I had the same sort of issues as you describe. I eventually realized that I really didn't understand how all the adjustments worked on this arm. It was unlike any that I had owned before. I finally figured it out. I remember thinking "geesh, that should have been obvious from the beginning"
    The only problem is, I can't tell you how to do it. It's just been too long ago.
    Look in the original manual or do some searching online. I'm sure it's fine. It just needs tweeked.

4. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

What happens if you use the Up-Lifter button? :)

5. Gretsch6136

Thanks mate. You're onto something here. Its the automatic lifter mechanism. when the arm sets down on the record whether using the start or lifter buttons, the little jolt occurs a couple of seconds after its down. Now how to troubleshoot and fix it?

6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Sorry, I was hoping the Up-Lifter button would work differently than the Start button - it would have given you a work-around.

I've never heard of anyone who works on the Denon Servo tonearms. I've never read of anybody saying they got theirs repaired. (I own two DP-47Fs and a DP-35F) :(

7. Gretsch6136

Thanks. I've downloaded the owners manual and the service manual. There's nothing in either of them that points tot he issue or a way to fix it. There are some electronic test points adjustment screws for the arm under the platter. I might get adventurous and make sure these are set correctly. Perhaps simply adjusting these pots through their range and then setting them correctly may clear things up.

8. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

I do remember that the fix was not under the platter. It all had to do with you counter weight and azimuth adjustment.
    There is also the threaded shaft at the back that goes in an arc along the plinth. I may have had to change that but can't say for sure.
    Like I said, this is exactly the issue that I had. The fix is easy once you understand how it works.
    Just wish I could remember how it's done.

9. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Is this a medium or light mass tonearm?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.