Dewey Phillips Red Hot and Blue (1952)?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Larry Naramore, Feb 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead Thread Starter

Anybody ever seen this on a CD?

Dewey Phillips was a hoot of a DJ.

2. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

It was certainly on a CD... I have the cassette, myself, and love it!

3. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Sorry, I meant to be more useful than that! Amazon has the CD version, if you're interested in picking it up.

4. Ragu

Ragu Forum Resident

"Anybody Wanna Buy A Duck?" (not the title) I used to own it on CD, a comp from different air checks, but sold it one day in a big purge. A fun listen, but not something you'd play over and over.

5. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

I have this and it is wonderful. According to Robert Gordon's book "It Came From Memphis" (a GREAT book, BTW) much of this material was released a few years ago on a Zu-Zazz album with the same title. Later some acetates of Dewey's airchecks were discovered at a yard sale and all the material was re-compiled into this CD. The sound is a bit rough, but it really gives the listener a great idea of what it was like to hear Dewey on the radio. He still sounds like he is from another planet, even all these years later.

My copy is on the Memphis Archive label MA7016. I did a search and found this vendor that apparently has it in stock. I cannot vouch for these folks, but at least you can see the cover:

http://www.bluesuedemusic.com/product.asp?PID=317&DID=44

Memphis music fans must own this.

Chris

6. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead Thread Starter

Thanks everybody for the info.

Any ideal how many minutes the disc is?

7. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

According to AMG ... the Memphis Archive CD is 59 minutes ... so I would assume the ZuZazz CD is longer.

8. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

I also have the CD. The earliest stuff is the most fun. Sad that anyone that fresh [and raw!] wouldn't stand a snowball's chance of ever being on the air now. Absolutely no irony in that man. He was the "real deal."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.