Dhani Harrison: talk of plans to finish Father George's songs...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kozy814, Jul 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident Thread Starter

deany76 and Sean Murdock like this.
  2. kozy814

Pulled from Paul McCartney's site (PAUL ON THE RUN: George Harrison's widow announces she's keen to release unfinished Beatles tracks »)

'I think there's a project there': George Harrison's widow announces she's keen to release unfinished Beatles tracks with her son Dhani
    By BEN TUFFT FOR MAILONLINE
    PUBLISHED: 27 July 2016
    George Harrison's widow has raised the possibility she will will finish some of the Beatles unreleased songs with her son Dhani.
    Olivia Harrison said she talked to her 37-year-old son about working on the tracks: 'There are a lot of songs that are unfinished,' she explained. 'I think there's a project there. I just need time to get to it,' Billboard reported.
    She was speaking at the the tenth anniversary of The Beatles Love by Cirque du Soleil at the Mirage Hotel in Las Vegas, attended by Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and Yoko Ono.
    [​IMG]
    Close: George Harrison's widow has raised the possibility she will will finish some of the Beatles unreleased songs with her son Dhani (pictured)
    Harrison, 68, revealed she is working on around 10 songs that will make up a new album of previously unreleased work.
    She had hoped it would have been released by now, but fell ill with the flu and was hospitalised in February, which she said had 'derailed the whole situation.'
    'Everything in my body is OK now, except I have a problem walking,' the Mexican author and producer explained.
    Olivia met the Beatles lead guitarist in 1974 as a secretary at A&M Records and she gave birth to their son in August 1978.
    The following month the couple married in a private ceremony in a register office in Henley-on-Thames.
    [​IMG]
    Unfinished work: Olivia Harrison said she talked to her 37-year-old son about working on the tracks: 'There are a lot of songs that are unfinished,' she explained. 'I think there's a project there. I just need time to get to it'
    Olivia moved into George's Oxfordshire mansion, Friar Park, close to the rowing hotspot, where she still lives today, following her husband's death from cancer in 2001.
    In December 1999, an intruder broke into the house and attacked George and his wife, leaving him with a punctured lung, more than 40 stab wounds and head injuries.
    Olivia has kept busy since George's death and promoted the The Beatles: Rock Band video game with Yoko Ono, Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr in 2009.
    While in 2011 she co-produced the film George Harrison: Living in the Material World with Martin Scorsese and co-authored the accompanying book.

[​IMG]
    Strong relationship: Olivia met the Beatles lead guitarist in 1974 as a secretary at A&M Records and she gave birth to their son in August 1978 (pictured together on holiday in Italy)

www.billboard.com
    George Harrison's Widow Says Their Son Dhani May Finish The Beatle's Unreleased Songs Plus More Inside Scoop
    by Selma Fonseca
    7/25/2016
    [​IMG]
    George Harrison and son Dhani photographed at a guitar auction at Christies in London in 1999.
    RICHARD YOUNG/REX/SHUTTERSTOCK
    New George Harrison Music? His Widow Says ‘Maybe’
    On July 14, along with Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr, Yoko Ono and Olivia Harrison attended the 10th anniversary of The Beatles Love by Cirque du Soleil at the Mirage Hotel in Las Vegas -- with an updated, remixed soundtrack by Giles Martin, son of the Fab Four’s late, legendary producer George Martin -- and spoke to Overheard about percolating music projects of their own.
    Harrison said she and Dhani Harrison, her 37-year-old musician son with George Harrison, have talked about him finishing some unreleased tracks that her late husband left behind. “There are a lot of songs that are unfinished,” she said. “I think there’s a project there. I just need time to get to it.”
    Ono told Billboard that she’s working on an album of approximately 10 songs that she had intended to have out by now, but she was blindsided by the flu (and briefly hospitalized in February). “That derailed the whole situation,” she said. Ono explained that “everything in my body is OK now, except I have a problem walking,” adding, “I want to be a little more normal” before turning her attention back to the record.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

theMess likes this.
  4. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Hope she gives Paul permission to put out Carnival of Light in exchange for his permission to do this with Beatle tracks.

5. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Part of this article is wrongly attributed to Olivia, when in fact it was Yoko talking about finishing HER 10 track album. I highlighted the section that is plain wrong. The final paragraph of the article indeed attributes the quote to Yoko. Very confusing if one didn't/doesn't know Yoko was talking about finishing off her album when she feels better. That being said, Olivia probably has a few things on the fire. One of them is an EP for the updated, and upcoming I Me Mine book project. The ultra-expensive version of the set will surely come with an EP of unreleased/rare material. And I'm sure she has begun, or will soon begin the process of releasing another archival release of George's. Whether it will include Dhani augmenting tracks... or Paul or Jeff Lynne, et al, remains to be seen. To be honest, I'd rather get a new release featuring unbooted tracks... demos and studio. If George gave his blessing to Dhani to finish off later-era studio material with further overdubbing, a Brainwashed Part 2 album, that's fine too, but I don't think Dhani needs to add his voice or guitar work to simple demos trying to "posh them up." Ron

6. culabula

culabula Unread author.

My but isn't the humble apostrophe of such unparalleled importance ?

7. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

What about Ringo's unfinished Beatles songs??????

8. The Absent-Minded Flaneur

The Absent-Minded Flaneur Forum Resident

This must be the project George talked about when The Threetles made Real Love and Free As A Bird:

"I hope somebody does this to all my crap demos when I'm dead, make them into hit songs."

9. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

Here comes the Son?

10. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

George DID say, after the release of "FAAB" & "RL":
    "I hope someone does THIS with MY 'crap' demos when I'm gone."

11. kozy814

The feature reads strangely. It starts out as an article about Olivia and Dhani, then out of nowhere there's a bit on Yoko. Maybe Yoko in there is the typo.....?

12. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Love "Brainwashed". I don't know how much they finished off posthumously but I think I've read that they did, Dhani Harrison and Jeff Lynne. Very tastefully done, in the spirit of.. So, I'm kind of open for a 'follow-up'. :)

13. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

They should go ahead and release something while the fans are still alive (I know, they released "Something" back in '69. ;)). They really do seem to be dragging their feet on some of these archival projects compared to some of their classic era peers. Why is it so complicated to release another volume of Early Takes? Surely the Harrison estate has the resources to move things forward if they wish. . .

14. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Not quite an EP. According to the Genesis website:
    the boxed set also contains a specially pressed marbled 7" vinyl record, featuring two, yet to be confirmed tracks.

theMess likes this.
  15. teag

teag Forum Resident

Anyone know what the 10 songs from John could be?

16. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Oh great. There go another two tracks from the Friar Park archive.

17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Good. I know he would do it with respect and reverence.

theMess likes this.
  18. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Yeah, I mentioned in the Early Takes thread that the single will probably be Valentine b/w Every Grain Of Sand - just to drive us all batty.

19. Arnold Grove

You got that right!

Here are the bonus tracks from the older Lyrics books from the late 1980s/early 1990s. Most of these are still unavailable elsewhere:

Songs by George Harrison:
    Sat Singing – 4:30
    Lay His Head – 3:50
    For You Blue [live] – 4:08
    Flying Hour – 4:32

Songs by George Harrison 2:
    Life Itself [demo] – 4:25
    Hottest Gong in Town – 3:39
    Tears of the World" – 3:48
    Hari's on Tour (Express) [live] – 4:53

20. brainwashed

No, the Yoko bit has been published and posted here, just as it appears in the final paragraph posted. The part with quotes from Olivia (concerning a 10 track album) were actually from Yoko. Somehow or another the posted quotes were jumbled. Ron

Lost In The Flood and theMess like this.
  21. brainwashed

Not ten of John's songs, but her own (Yoko) new album she had started earlier this year, but has taken a sabbatical from after her illness. Ron

theMess likes this.
  22. brainwashed

I wouldn't be surprised if 3 or 4 songs end up being issued, it all depends on Olivia really. The has been a precedent set with the two earlier Genesis books. Ron

theMess likes this.
  23. Arnold Grove

I Me Mine: Extended Edition (Limited to 1000 copies; £325.00):

Extras: Specially pressed marbled 7" vinyl record, featuring two tracks.

I Me Mine - Deluxe »

theMess likes this.
  24. brainwashed

It's not really complicated, but with all things Apple it takes time. Still, no archival box set from Paul either. Olivia and Dhani tend to group major projects together. We got Early Takes Vol. 1 when the Scorcese film was released. Maybe, just maybe we'll get another volume, or something else entirely with the next big project whatever that may be. I don't think resources are the problem, it's getting Dhani to forsake his own career and get down to it. I also think both Olivia and Dhani are very protective of George's legacy and refuse to release "bottom of the barrel" rejects. One reason Dhani feels so inclined to head these projects is the desire to augment the material. Certainly a point of conjecture many of us are puzzled with, but it is HIS choice to make. Ron

kozy814 and theMess like this.
  25. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I think it's sad that Dhani feels it's either his career or his dad's; that is, that he has to forsake his own. Sure, I expect him to sign off any project (with his mum) but I also don't think it necessary for him to do all the heavy lifting. Get someone else to audition material, make mixes where necessary and present them to Dhani. Surely, all Mr Harrison needs to do is set aside a week or two to listen...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.