Di Meola-McLaughlin-De Lucia Passion Grace and Fire coming on Audio Fidelity!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sherrill50, Apr 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac Thread Starter

Excuse me if this has already been posted here somewhere (I did do a search :) ), but I just tripped over a link on Amazon.com indicating that 'Passion Grace and Fire', the classic studio trio album from Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin and Paco De Lucia is coming from Audio Fidelity on June 23, 2017. This appears to be a vinyl release, but hopefully a CD will follow.

This is, imho, a breathtakingly beautiful album in it's original incarnations on LP and CD, but I'm still very excited, and fully onboard, about its impending release on Audio Fidelity! :goodie::goodie::goodie:

Al Di Meola and Paco de Lucia John McLaughlin - Passion, Grace & Fire - Amazon.com Music

Paulo Alm, rxcory, johnny q and 4 others like this.
  2. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac Thread Starter

3. pigman

pigman Forum Resident

Nice stuff.

4. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I just wish we would also get Tour De Force Live as well.

5. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

What an inspired choice! Love this album. Although it's a digital recording, I'm sure whoever is mastering it for AF will make it sound less... digital.

6. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

You mean SACD.

Jarleboy and sherrill50 like this.
  7. strifeknot

strifeknot Senior Member

The quality of titles coming from AF just keeps plummeting.

8. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I understand jazz fusion isn't to everyone's taste, but those who are into it will be very excited about this title.

Dennis0675 and sherrill50 like this.
  9. strifeknot

strifeknot Senior Member

The genre isn't the problem. I would like to see more jazz and non-classic rock titles from AF. The problem is this particular album and its execrable, soulless artists.

fra_pe likes this.
  10. qurasjovan

qurasjovan Forum Resident

Paco is soulles?!? You can say that about the other two, but about Paco never.

lobo, Xabby, Phishman and 2 others like this.
  11. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Wait!
    I've had this one on Sony's JSACD for ages. It's a 'meh' listen but very nice sounding disc.

Regards

anduandi likes this.
  12. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

Same feelings here....of course I'm well aware you can't to justice to everyone's tastes :shrug:

DrZhivago likes this.
  13. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

The JSACD is bright and sterile sounding, at least to my ears.

14. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Could this be gear related?

Regards

15. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

No, it's the mastering. I've compared it against a couple other pressings on the same system.

DrZhivago likes this.
  16. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Yeah. It's probably typical, early 80's digitial recording. It certainly isn't warm milk and honey, but on my system and to these ears, this JSACD doesn't sound sterile.

Regards

17. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I likewise have that SACD. It is a bit as you say.

18. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Great! There are some great tracks here, but on cd it always sounded a bit clinical, as if it was really recorded/overdubbed in three studios, the guitarists overdubbing their solos on each other's composition. Maybe a nice mastering can bring a bit more life to the proceedings! I wonder if this was a purely DDD recording or was some analogue equipment rolling along? And I'm curious about a bit more 'balance' in the sound; I think De Lucia's licks come in strangely LOUD in some places....
    Yet another release to look forward to!

19. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Could bring up interesting listening experience if a surround mix could be included on SACD.

20. Yovra

A bit more information available (who did the mastering?)?

21. Metralla

I had this LP when it first came out, and have a vague memory of it saying that it was a digital recording on the cover of the record. But I cannot be certain.

22. Yovra

In The Netherlands it was released on the Philips label and (if my memory serves me right) on of these early releases that had a co-release on cd. I'm curious what the 'resolution' of these early digital recordings is and what can be gained releasing/mastering this on vinyl. Or was there an analogue tape rolling along (just like with the 1980 Gleen Gould-recording of the Goldberg Variations).

23. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Reading this thread makes me glad I found the original LP for cheap a few years ago.

Yovra likes this.
  24. Metralla

Ditto in Australia.

25. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

And it's not even purely Jazz Fusion really, there are elements of all sorts of stuff...Flamenco for instance. This is great listening for anyone who is a fan of the guitar, particularly very technical guitar playing. Instant purchase for me (even though I don't need a 4th version!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.