Diana Krall new album "Turn Up The Quiet" (05/05/2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Feb 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meddler

Meddler Forum Resident

Is this a Spiderman musical?

ReadySteady, CWillman and bferr1 like this.
  2. zen

zen Senior Member

Hey-oh!

bluejimbop likes this.
  3. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

Definitely in for this album. Big fan of hers. I've seen her in concert a bunch of times and it's always enjoyable.

Ron P. likes this.
  4. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

is John Clayton still playing with her ??
    my wife study under him while in school & always raved about him even back then.
    i'm sure he'll straighten her out (~) if given a chance ;)

bluejimbop likes this.
  5. AlecA

AlecA Forum Resident

I'll be in for this after passing on the last two (and not liking her work with her husband). If she loses the sheen that, for me, marred "Quite Nights" and concentrates on her piano playing in a small group setting I will be happy. I have no problem with her doing what some call "the overdone standards." I love the songs and I am happy to hear them done again by someone with Diana's chops.

Ron P. and Morbius like this.
  6. MaxxMaxx4

MaxxMaxx4 Forum Resident In Memoriam

Way too many tracks that are on her other album's.
    Don't care for EC's music or writing ability what so ever.

Tim 2 likes this.
  7. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Her music sunk to new lows with the help of her hubby.

AlecA and MaxxMaxx4 like this.
  8. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

She if she can top Bjork's version of "Like Someone in Love". Although a jazz freak, it's my favorite rendition.

bluejimbop and Tim 2 like this.
  9. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Really looking forward to this album ...... I too hope she goes back a little compared to what she has been doing ......

10. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

Here's "Night & Day" from the new album:

GeoffC, YMC4 and Nathan Aaron like this.
  11. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

I'm one of those haters! LOL Ugh, that album! :)

12. Nathan Aaron

So excited for this! Finally back to the good stuff! At first I didn't like Glad Rag Doll, but after reading more about her reasons for songs choices, and her connection to them the album totally grew on me! Wallflower though, blah. So long David "Schmarmy" Foster! ;)

gkella, bluejimbop and smilin ed like this.
  13. pghmusiclover

I am a Diana fan no matter what she does and I actually really liked "Wallflower" (and I know I am in an even smaller minority that like that over "Girl...!").

While I am looking forward to the new album, I am just disappointed at the boring song selection on the forthcoming album. Certainly there are other standards out there that haven't been done to death... I'd like Diana to do a tribute to Shirley Horn, an artist that I feel is similar to Diana in that both are stellar piano players and both excel at slow tempo ballads.

BTW, I see a vinyl version is finally listed for pre-order:

Diana Krall - Turn Up The Quiet [2 LP] - Amazon.com Music

14. Nathan Aaron

- I don't mind the song choices, personally. Though I completely understand what you're saying! There are so many lesser known standards out there, that when she uses lines like "she's bored with the standards", as she has in the past, it blows my mind because she's obviously not digging deep enough.

On the Wallflower front, I think it could have been a great album. And for some, it was! The boyfriend and I are at polar opposites. He immediately buys anything with David Foster on it music wise, because he loves, loves, loves (gag! ;) ) sappy ballad syrup songs. Myself, I run from anything with David Foster's name on it, because I know we're going to get lots of overdone sappy drivel. :D

PS - I don't think Wallflower was sappy drivel, by the way. Just not what I was looking for from Krall.

Ridin'High likes this.
  15. pghmusiclover

Johnny Reb likes this.
  16. MadFloyd

MadFloyd Forum Resident

Well, jury is still out. Still feels like her singing is phoning it in... one quick take, no real conviction or interesting phrasing. I prefer her more on upbeat jazz songs where she seems to get much more into it than ballads (not that I have anything against ballads).

At least this track features a piano and guitar solo.

bluejimbop likes this.
  17. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

Departure Bay, a song she wrote, is one of my favourite songs of all time..wish she would write more of her own stuff

18. pghmusiclover

I agree! Most people hate the album of original material, but it's one of my favorites. I hate to see her return to this boring old standards format -- especially recording such overdone standards!

John B Good, anduandi and chrisblower like this.
  19. Nathan Aaron

- I don't think I'd mind her writing her own material, but it's her husband's avant-garde influences in those works that tended to turn me off, personally.

chrisblower likes this.
  20. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the announcement on JPC. I think I'll pass....I've had my share of standard jazz covers done by her and that's enough for me.
    I'm actually done with any covering of old jazz standards. Too much of that in the last two decades especially done by artists who are pop singers in the first place.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  21. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

So, does the title mean that the album will be maximized and over compressed? :D

DLant, MadFloyd and John B Good like this.
  22. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Really looking forward to this. I love all of her albums, save for Wallflower. From what I've heard this will be a nice return to her roots.

live evil likes this.
  23. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

DLant likes this.
  24. pghmusiclover

25. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

According to Qobuz, the hi-res version will be 24/192.

Turn Up The Quiet | Diana Krall

Price is 17.48 €, which is less than $20 US-- better than HDtracks' prices for that resolution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.