Did anyone watch "Veep" on HBO?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve D., Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The plan for next season is to follow Selina into life as an ex-President:

'Veep' Boss Explains Game-Changing Finale: Who Wants to Go Backwards? »

I think they're right that Selina getting what she wants wouldn't be good for the comedy, and that putting her back in the vice president's office would be a step backwards.... but then if she's not in the White House, what is the show going to be about, really? It feels like they're just going to be keeping it going for the sake of keeping it going.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I thought it was an excellent season. Sometimes I wonder if people complaining about a noticeable drop-off have convinced themselves because they knew that so-and-so had left the show, and might not have thought so if they knew nothing of the departure.

That's a good question. I also have qualms, but the creative team is pretty talented, so I'm ready to be surprised.

Actually, one possibility I thought of might work - Selina becomes a lobbyist for some special interest group which allows her to interact with the White House ecosystem and hilarity ensues.

GodShifter likes this.
  3. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I thought this season was very disappointing after last season's consistent hilarity, and didn't know about the co-creator leaving until today. Though there were some episodes here and there that I did think were excellent. The finale was very good, IMO.

4. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I thought it was a huge step down. Not sure what the cause was, though I wish there was more of Richard. He was the highlight of season 4 for me and I thought he was funny every time he was on screen in season 5, which I don't think was enough.

5. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I was very happy with Season 5, I constantly found myself cracking up, and couldn't believe some of the one liners that made their way out of those characters mouths. No show does obscene vulgarity quite like "Veep", one day they ought to put a book of all the best quips.

I'll certainly be ready to watch Sesson 6 next year, looking forward to wherever they take us.

mikeyt likes this.
  6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Other than the Brit series The Thick Of It, on which Veep is based on.

7. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Not up to the finale yet, but I caught the one where Selina's mother died. Hilarious!

8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I'm just through the first 3 of the latest season, but so far its as good as ever. And I still absolutely love the Richard character.

9. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I've been binge watching this for about a week now. I really like this (I also enjoyed "The Thick of It" -- maybe more than this).

I'm only up to about the midpoint of season 3 but find it very funny. If I were to throw out a criticism, even by season 3 the entourage is so big it's almost too much. I will forge on until the end.

Deesky and Chris from Chicago like this.
  10. agentalbert

It's strong all the way through. There is one season (either 3 or 4) where Dan and then Amy work for a lobbying firm and that isn't as interesting, but I thought the 5th season (most recent) was as strong as ever.

11. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

A few minor complaints here and there, too much Catherine would be one, but overall it's as sharp and witty as ever.

I'm one of those people that rarely laughs at shows. I usually just say... that's funny. No other current show actually makes me laugh out loud more than this one.

Silken, Deesky and GodShifter like this.
  12. agentalbert

The one episode that was all her "film" was probably the least of the season. But there were also plenty of funny moments involving Catherine. I got a good laugh out of her coming up to the Japanese delegation and giving them her food requirements as she thought they were the kitchen staff. And then there was the part when the Finnish Prime Minister sees Catherine and her girlfriend making out, but thinks it is Selena and her daughter kissing. I thought the woman who played the Finnish Prime Minister was very good that whole episode.

Pete Puma and Chris from Chicago like this.
  13. I loved this last season. The Finnish IMF president is consistently funny.

14. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I thought Martin Mull's senile character was funny in the brief time he was on it. Loved the end credits of this season's finale when he comes up to the new president thinking it is Selena and tells her they found the missing ballot votes. LOL

Pete Puma likes this.
  15. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

The fifth season showrunner David Mandel was on NPRs Fresh Air today, and I was surprised to learn his first job was writing with Al Franken on Comedy Central's 1992 election coverage, Indecision '92. I loved that show, and remember being in a hotel room in Chicago on Election Night watching it live. Nobody including me needs to watch all four hours of this, but if you want to hunt and peck it's here. Love Roy Blount with the armchair!

16. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Richard is one of my favorite characters, too. I thought he did get as much screentime as in previous seasons, but more would be better.

I don't know if the show is less funny, or if I'm getting tired of it, or if it's too close to today's real political climate and makes me depressed. Anyway, I didn't enjoy this season as much as past seasons.

I feel compelled to be a nitpicker. It was the Chinese delegation...

17. agentalbert

He's one of my favorites too. I thought there was plenty of Richard this season. Note sure more is needed. They've managed to not overdo that character. I also liked that they revealed there is one obscure thing (Nevada Electoral technicalities) that he is an expert on, though he doesn't even realize how valuable his expertise is.

18. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

GodShifter likes this.
  19. Robert M.

Robert M. Forum Resident

That episode, and the one before that, titled Alicia. I think I cracked a rib.

20. agentalbert

Only a few weeks away now for S6 (starts April 16th). Can't wait!

Silken and beercanchicken like this.
  21. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman

Do you know if Silicon Valley starts at same time?

22. agentalbert

It starts the week after, April 23rd. I'm just looking at Wikipedia, by the way, but as those dates are so near in the future, they're pretty reliable.

23. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

This is my go-to show for when I need to see people that have absolutely no redeeming qualities. Just all out 100% cynicism and bile. It's easily the funniest show on TV right now, and probably has been for years. I have a YouTube playlist with all of the insults cut together-for when my yelling at the rain isn't doing me any good. And JLD earned every one of her Emmys. Can't wait for the new season.

GodShifter likes this.
  24. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Thank God this show is back! And as acerbic as ever. So many great lines that I can't possible quote here.
    Random thoughts:
    Amy is so incredible profane, even for this show.
    Love Margaret Colin and I hope we see a lot more of her.
    It never ceases to amaze me how mean Selina is to Gary, and he just keeps coming back for more.
    All of the characters are in such disparate places; I wonder if they're going to fast track the timeline to get them all back together for Selina's run (with only ten episodes, and probably one more season after this at best, they better get a move on).
    Catherine's wig looked odd (yes I know Julia Louis-Dreyfus wears a wig)
    Speaking of Amy, why in the world is she with Buddy?

25. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I thought it got off to a slow start, but I'll keep up. Didn't JLD drop the wig this year?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.