Did I win the right Meet The Beatles?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tyler T, Mar 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyler T

Tyler T New Member Thread Starter

While searching Ebay, I came across a sealed stereo Meet The Beatles and bought it (using Buy-It-Now) because it had an inexpensive price ($20.00!). It is on Apple Records, so I think it is a 1969 version. Even though I know they used fake stereo, is the sound alright or did I do a foolish buy? I would really hate to have bought an album that isn't worth anything :realmad:

Here's the front and back cover:

2. Tyler T

Tyler T New Member Thread Starter

Nevermind....

3. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I personally would leave it in its present state - as a neat, over 30 years old, still sealed LP. It's very doubtful that it'll be a Hi-Fi showcase (sorry), but I wouldn't say it's a foolish buy. A very good price on something you don't see for sale everyday still sealed, though there's some out there - I've seen those Apple issues from back then (various titles - not just Meet the Beatles) still sealed usually sell for about $50-60.

4. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

I don't think they sound horrible, just not the greatest. It probably would be best to keep sealed, and that was a very good price for a sealed Apple (tho how do you know? they all had the same cover). Apple issues were from '71 to something like '75, BTW.

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

It's not an amazing buy, but it's not a painful one either. That's always a good thing. You didn't buy a $20 for $200. That is bound to happen! ;)

6. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

$20 sealed isn't a bad price and, while it's been reverbed a bit, most of it's in true stereo, not rechanneled. And the sound isn't much different than the original '64 stereo pressing. It was a bit of a mess to start with, it's a bit of a mess here. Sealed copy's always cool to have...

ED:cool:

7. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I just remembered, those pressings were cut real loud.... They do sound very good.... and what Ed said...

8. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

If you can get past the rechanneled and reverbed sound, then you got a good deal. I like the Apple label pressings because I discovered the Beatles in the seventies, and bought all the records brand new. They were being pressed with Apple labels at the time. I like the English/German/Japanese records better, sound-wise, but the Apple U.S. LP's bring back that nostalgic rush.

9. The only copy of "Meet The Beatles" that I own is the U.S. Apple pressing. I much prefer my Canadian and U.K. pressings of "With The Beatles". You aren't getting anything spectacular here, and to boot, "I Want To Hold Your Hand" and "This Boy" are faux stereo. :rolleyes:

Here is a scan of side 1.

Attached Files:

10. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Ugghhh...that fake stereo......

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have a Capital original "Meet The Beatles" just for the cover...Such a great LP and I enjoy looking at it as much as the music it contains! When I crave for a listen I throw on the Beat Cee Dee!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.