Did Springsteen use steroids in the early 1980s?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychsound, Apr 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychsound

Psychsound Forum Resident Thread Starter

I ask this question as a huge Bruce fan. I remember how thin he was during the River tour that ended in early 1981 or so and how huge he was when he launched Born in the USA in June 1984. Don't recall that he was huge for the Nebraska publicity shots in 1982. Can a guy that age (early to mid 30s) build up muscle that fast, especially when spending much time in the recording studio working on the USA album?

2. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

If he did they should suspend him and throw out his stats.

daveidmarx, ARK, Tommyboy and 26 others like this.
  3. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

:laugh:

4. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

5. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

Didn't most of the band join Bruce in muscle building and strength training while on the Born In The USA tour. Didn't they have something of a travelling gym? Might that have started during the recording sessions?

6. helter

helter Forum Resident

He spent a lot of time in the gym in my neighborhood and had a personal trainer.
    He definitely was putting the time in to build mass.
    This was before the tour

keyXVII, Sean, krock2009 and 2 others like this.
  7. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

In about three years or so? Yeah, you can mass up, at that age or older, without pretending you are a professional baseball player.cwd

8. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

A cautionary tale. Roids didn't seem to help this guy's career none!

[​IMG]

ARK likes this.
  9. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I always figured that he was the typical partying rock star in the 70's and then decided if he was going to be a maniac on stage for hours every night he'd have to ditch the drink and work out.

10. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

probably.

11. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

What the H^*& happened to Nicole Kidman???

daveidmarx, ARK, mrjinks and 17 others like this.
  12. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

Guess that would make him...Carrot Flop.

cwd likes this.
  13. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Never into drugs and apparently a moderate drinker in the early days.

dkmonroe likes this.
  14. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Don't think Bruce was much of a partier, at least not by 70's standards.

15. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Recall reading in the Dave Marsh book "Born To Run" that Bruce didn't hang out with the band partying after the shows and kind of went his own way. Any drunk schtick on tour was probably learned from watching Dean Martin.

bodine and dkmonroe like this.
  16. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I never thought he was into drugs, but I just assumed he drank a bit. The physical change in him between The River and U.S.A. is so startling I figured a lifestyle change had to have something to do with it. But of course that doesn't necessarily mean he had some vice to put down.

17. And what were YOU doing in this time before the tour?

18. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

I wouldn't call Bruce's physique for Born In The USA huge! He definitely developed some good shoulders and arms, but that aside, I don't see a big difference in the size of his chest, back and legs.

There's no doubt he worked out pretty hard for 12 months or so, but I doubt very much he went anywhere near steroids.

keyXVII likes this.
  19. He's an obsessive kind of guy and sometime in 1983 he got obsessed with working out. He's been a casual drinker since his mid-twenties but never into drugs.

keyXVII, krock2009 and dkmonroe like this.
  20. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

When BITUSA broke EVERYBODY loved Bruce, not just us cool folks who liked his music even before Born to Run made it big. Those folks included my younger sister, who before that would not even listen to Rosalita. This money-maker color photo and text publicity package was out, and she bought one, giving the stats and favorite colors and such of the band members. Bruce was listed at 5'10". Clarence's height, I recall, was "Long." Anyway, the text explained how Bruce trained hard and sipped soup between concert sets to keep hydrated and energized.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
    dkmonroe likes this.
  21. Did TMZ buy Hoffman?

22. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Steroid users don't belong in the Hall of Fame. Oh wait, wrong Hall...

ARK, ggergm and Sean like this.
  23. Seederman

Seederman Forum Resident

Laugh all you want, but he's been under contract at the Luxor Hotel in Las Vegas for a decade now, and makes more in one night there than most people make in 6 months. Those body modifications cost a lot of money.

ARK likes this.
  24. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

He was a fast food junkie in 70s. He also quit smoking around the age of 25-26. You have to remember that work on what was to become "Born In The U.S.A." began in 1982. So, Bruce had 24 months to get in shape, he didn't need steroids to do that.

Sean likes this.
  25. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

I dont think so. In 83-84 he had that puffy muscle look you get when you drink a lot of protien shakes. Once you stop, puff! Back to normal. I've also seen him in a gym and he looks very much like a person who works out regularly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.