Did the Beatles and the Velvet Underground Influence Each Other?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by theMess, Feb 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

A smart band does not "Mention" all of their influences.

That takes away some of the appeal and mystique of a band.

They mention things they like, that are at odds with how their music sounds.

Of course every musician ever, has had their entire sound influenced from other bands and artists, but it is wise to not mention "Too many"!

2. Further along the Dylan track, there's a cut called "I Can't Come In With a Broken Heart" that he and members of The Band recorded during the basement sessions at Woodstock in 1967 that's about as direct a cop of the Velvet's style as you could possibly get. So Dylan was definitely listening - maybe cued in a bit by his prior exposure to Warhol and that scene, and maybe via Robbie as well.

margaritatoldtom likes this.
  3. theMess

theMess Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is an interesting point. I feel that the Beatles did the opposite of this, if a group or singer influenced them, they kept on mentioning it, probably to be kind and to help the other persons career. They always mentioned Motown, Fats Domino, Ray Charles, Elvis, Buddy Holly, the Beach Boys, the Who, etc.

4. Buddhahat

Buddhahat Forum Resident

I've been listening to velvets live 69 a lot recently and had noticed that some of it evokes abbey road so funny to stumble on this thread. Most notably Yule's bass playing. Interesting to read that who loves the sun was influenced. When was Ocean written? That one seems potentially influenced by sun king but the dates might turn that theory on its head!

theMess and alexpop like this.
  5. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

There is a 1970 interview with Lou reprinted in Velvet Underground: New York Art in which Lou expresses an appreciation for Creedence Clearwater Revival, the first Moby Grape album, and Buffalo Springfield, and says that Jagger is one of his favorite lyricists. Loves the Stones. Says he likes Joni Mitchell alright, but would rather listen to something with more power, like the Stones. He calls McCartney a great songwriter, and really liked the unreleased Get Back tapes that he heard. He says he won't miss the Beatles though, because, listening to McCartney, you can tell such a big chunk of it is still there. Seems to be aware that John and Paul mostly worked separately for the last couple of years, but he barely mentions Lennon if at all, IIRC. Really seems to hate the Dead, the Airplane, the Who and most of all Zappa.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
    theMess and alexpop like this.
  6. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Post #30 is the best answer in this thread.

7. theMess

That comment has been proven to be wrong. Nico was at the Sgt Pepper launch party and stayed at Paul's flat. Brian Epstein almost signed the band and was a big fan of the Banana album.

8. theMess

Ocean was recorded in June 69, before Abbey Road was released, but I definitely understand your comparison.

9. AudiophilePhil

But it does not mean anything. There were other artists at the time who were at Sgt. Pepper lunch party.

10. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

There's a bit of a difference between "Velvet Underground? Yeah, they're that New York group Brian was talking about, I think" and "Hey, John, I sure do love the Velvet Underground and this 'Sister Ray' tune's something else. Let's rip it off on the next LP!"

11. theMess

I am not saying that the VU influenced the Beatles, because there is zero evidence that they did. What I am saying is that the Beatles would definitely have known who they were if Brian loved their album, almost signed them, Nico was at the Pepper launch and she stayed at Paul's house.

12. theMess

Yes, but Nico actually stayed at Paul's house, so he must have known who she was.

13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Neil Young was inspired with McCartney's DIY debut album. For years Lou dissed NY as a stoned hippie till he heard Young's use of gtr feedback " Rolling Stone "circa 75/76. Reed hated Zappa' but inducted him into the R&R hall of fame in the nineties. The man's a bit of a contradiction .. But hey ' its only rock-n' roll. :)

theMess likes this.
  14. AudiophilePhil

Staying at Paul's house for a night does not necessarily translate to a musical influence.

15. theMess

So what we have found out so far is that the Beatles most likely did know who the VU were, seeing as Brian was a fan and seeing that he considered signing them. Nico was at the Pepper launch and stayed at Paul's house. Despite this, it seems that there is no VU influence on the Beatles, at least none that is obvious or that was ever mentioned.

As for the Beatles influencing the VU, it seems like they did, although not in a way that had anything to do with the main VU sound. Reed, Sterling and Cale all made very positive comments about the Beatles at the time, calling them the greatest songwriters and calling George a great guitarist. It seems like they were fans of Rubber Soul (with the acid and raga sound on Norwegian Wood) and of Abbey Road, which seems to have had some influence on Who Loves The Sun. Nico was a fan of John's part of A Day In The Life, but she hated Paul's part.
    Lou changed his mind over time, after initially being a fan, and saying how he liked their Hard Days Night sound and saying how much he liked the McCartney album and the Get Back tapes, he went on to say how much he disliked Sgt Pepper and most of the 60's British rock scene.

16. theMess

I agree, I am not saying that it does, in fact I can see no VU influence on the Beatles. What I am saying is that they must have been aware of the VU, because Nico stayed at his house and went to the Pepper party.

17. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

So to sum up, "Influential Band Was Influential". Next!

18. theMess

I suppose that you are right, it is quite simple. I am just shocked because I have never seen any evidence of this until now.

Thanks to everyone who has commented, and for posting all of the quotes.

19. AudiophilePhil

Yes, Paul must have been aware of Nico hrough Brian Epstein but there's zero musical influence on each other.

20. theMess

Paul probably did know her through Brian, that would make sense, but the Beatles did influence the VU, Sterling admitted as much.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  21. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Bands that were influenced by both the Beatles and the Velvet Underground? Try just about every interesting band of the last forty years, starting with Roxy Music, Bowie and Big Star, running through Wire, R.E.M., Husker Du, Guided by Voices, Radiohead . . .

margaritatoldtom, JimC and theMess like this.
  22. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Doesn't it depend on which version of the VU we're talking about?

So...
    Mk 1 (Banana/WLWH).....none at all
    Mk 2 (VU 3rd/Loaded).....maybe one song

Not much really then.

I'd say that was more like the playing on Eight Miles High than anything else. An amalgam of Indian and Coltrane.

23. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Both songs were recorded before the other was released.

But they were both recorded within eight months of the release of 'Albatross'!

24. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

I would suggest that "Albatross" and "Ocean" are both influenced by their respective bands trying to musically evoke the sound of ocean waves, and that any resemblance is coincidental. "Sun King" was a conscious and admitted homage to "Albatross."

Buddhahat and theMess like this.
  25. peteneatneat

peteneatneat Forum Resident

This is tenuous to say the least. "Who Loves The Sun" sounds as much like the Mamas & Papas as it does the Beatles.
    Yeah the Velvets "What Goes On" obviously must have been influenced by the Rubber Soul track - it even has the same title !:laugh:

jukes and Cassiel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.