Did the Beatles ever play any Revolver tracks live?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rinso white, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rinso white

rinso white Pale Fire Thread Starter

That sums it up...just wondering if any of these songs were played live in '66, although I'm assuming the answer is "no."

2. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Nope. Paperback Writer was as close to a Revolver track as they got.

3. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

What he said. Thats as close as they got.

4. trip1

trip1 Forum Resident

Didn't they do "I Want To Tell You" during the 1966 Japan Tour?

5. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

No, they did If I Needed Someone.

6. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

7. 24karatgold

24karatgold Member

sadly no, because revolver was so advanced technologically, the sound system used on stage did not allow to play any of these songs.
    George harrison was the first beatles to use I want tell you on his US tour in 1974 , well 8 yars after the release??!!!!

8. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Absolutely not. :wtf:

The songs performed on the 1966 tour were:
    Rock And Roll Music
    She's A Woman
    If I Needed Someone
    Day Tripper
    Baby's In Black
    I Feel Fine
    Yesterday
    I Wanna Be Your Man
    Nowhere Man
    Paperback Writer
    I'm Down

As far as I know, the only variation to this set was at Candlestick Park, where they substituted "Long Tall Sally" for "I'm Down."

9. Studio_Two

Studio_Two Forum Resident

I don't buy the "party line" line that the "studio arrangements" were too complex to reproduce live.

I always find it amusing that the support acts featured on the 1966 Munich TV Broadcast used horn and keyboard accompaniment - yet The Beatles take to the stage with just Guitars & Drums.

When watching that footage, I often think "Got To Get You Into My Life" could have been great in concert!

Incidentally, Paul STILL doesn't use "live" horns in his live act.

HTH,
    Stephen

10. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

He did in 75/76

11. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I think if you've seen and heard the '66 tour films and tapes, it becomes obvious that The Beatles just didn't care enough to rehearse long enough to learn any of their new numbers. They barely got the old ones out competently on that tour. The '66 tour was a chore that everybody just wanted to get over with. :shake:

12. Dave D

Dave D Done!

He did for the Wings Over America tour

13. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

They could easily have performed "Taxman" or "Here There and Everywhere" or "She Said She Said" or "Dr. Robert" or "And Your Bird Can Sing" or "Rain," had they cared to.

14. Studio_Two

Studio_Two Forum Resident

To be honest, I didn't really expect to get away with an innacuracy like that on here.

I can't help feeling Paul is too happy to leave the orchestrations to "Wix" - rather than give us an "authentic" musical experience. Not that I was complaining the last time I saw the great man!

;)

Going back to my original point. I agree with the poster above that the reason "They" (as Ringo would say) didn't play Revolver tracks live was more down to their lack of desire rather than any techincal difficulties.

Thanks,
    Stephen

15. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

The Beatles undertook their 1966 tours under protest. There hearts really weren't in it at all, and the Philippines incident really sealed the deal. So they just didn't really care enough to learn a whole lot of new material or undertake complex arrangements.

The Budokan concerts are a little painful in spots, because there's no screaming crowd to cover up their mistakes, and there are moments where they don't play well at all.

16. rinso white

rinso white Pale Fire Thread Starter

Yeah, I realize that they weren't too happy with their playing by that point due to lethargy, inability to hear themselves, etc. But still, the thought of hearing She Said, She Said (I know, recorded right at the end of the Revolver sessions)or Rain (I know, not actually on Revolver) or Taxman (would George and Paul have switched instruments?) is soooo tantalizing.

The heat must be getting to me. Thanks everyone!

17. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

Imagine if they did do songs from the album. Not so much for the technical aspect, because "Tomorrow Never Knows" would have been great, but what kind of reaction would "Yellow Submarine" have had?

"'ello. This next one will be done by our friend Richie. We know, HELLO!!! We know that none of you in the audience can hear us, so this next song could be from our 40th album. Right?"

AUDIENCE CONTINUES TO SCREAM!

"Our friend Richie will now sing a song, not about that night he was swimming in a puddle of brown, but rather in a sea of green."

SCREAMING!!!

"Yes, this one is called Yellow Submarine!"

BIG SCREAMING!!!

It wouldn't have worked.

18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

That is a short set list. They must have only played 45 minutes.:eek:

19. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

And he used live horns in his 1979 UK tour as well, and he made good use of them when he played "Got To Get You Into My Life". :sigh:

20. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Less than that...about 35-38 including song intros and thank you's. Some of the 1965 shows were LESS than 30 minutes. Ron

21. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

My band in college played "Rain" in clubs. If someone as inept as I am at guitar could do that, the Beatles could have done it in '66.

22. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

Well,we know that the Candlestick Park was just over 30 minutes,as the tape runs out during "Long Tall Sally",the last song.

23. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I can't say that I've ever really cared what songs the Beatles did or didn't play on stage. To me, their concerts were essentially irrelevant to their music -- they were just about the band's celebrity. A live performance of a song from Revolver would have been indistinguishable from anything else with all that screaming on top of it.

24. telliott

telliott Senior Member

Even though the Beatles were so great partly because of their long hours playing the Cavern, Germany, etc. Once they found their "home" at EMI, they pretty much instantly took to the studio and preferred it to the live stage, even in the early days of Beatlemania when they kind of enjoyed playing live.

On a semi-related note, did John EVER sing all the correct lyrics to "Help!" on stage?

Tim

25. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Yeah, that excuse is basically crap. Sure, maybe they couldn't play "Tomorrow Never Knows" or "Eleanor Rigby", but they could've easily played "Taxman", "I Want To Tell You", "She Said She Said" or even "I'm Only Sleeping" (forget the backwards guitars). They played "Paperback Writer" live and it wasn't any more or less difficult to play than the other electric tracks. The obvious reason for why they didn't play any Revolver songs on that tour was they didn't care anymore - especially since no one could hear a note being played.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.