Did the Beatles REALLY prefer mono?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jfire, Jun 17, 2014.

1. jfire

jfire Forum Resident Thread Starter

"The upcoming release of the Beatles LPs on vinyl in their original mono mixes has attracted a lot of media attention this week, including an exploration of why mono is such a big deal.

The general explanation for this runs along the lines of "the Beatles helped mix their music in mono and preferred the mono mixes to stereo."

And that's true. To a degree. But saying the Beatles used mono doesn't necessarily mean you can say they preferred mono."

More: http://theglassonionbeatlesjournal.blogspot.com/2014/06/did-beatles-really-prefer-mono.html

2. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

I do recall hearing John Lennon express his preference for monaural recordings on one of his 1974 radio appearances. He described the 1967 - 1970 mix of Revolution as sounding like, "ice cream" and that it "lost the guts of it."

I don't have the time nor patience to track it down, but I'm certain someone here on the forum will post a link to it shortly...

I read the linked post. That's four minutes of my life I'll never get back (yawn).

3. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Regardless of whether they preferred the mono mixes, the fact of the matter is that the band were present for and involved with the creation of the mono mixes, and were not for the stereo (at least from what I understand). That's the real crux of the argument.

4. I believe all this but it has always surprised me that they didn't pay personal attention and actually get excited with stereo from Pepper on (maybe even stating with Revolver). They are experiments in sound so it would seem panning channels and mixing in effects would expand their music for them (especially since they were experimenting with mind altering substances). I get the history of mono, but I still feel those records are a more enjoyable experience in stereo.

When i was a kid I got a stereo reel to reel, I remember making tapes and mixing in effects in stereo myself . I'd record , adding in voices, sound effects and narration, things like from Ken Nordine. I was really interested in all things psychedelic in 67/68 living in San Francisco. I was only 13/14 but making those stereo sound collages was a blast. I wish I still had them.

5. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Even Abbey Road ?

6. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Obviously the discussion doesn't include Abbey Road or Let It Be, wise guy.

7. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

To my knowledge Lennon and Harrison preferred the mono mixes to the stereos.

Grant and rangerjohn like this.
  8. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Didn't Lennon wear a "back to mono" button on his jacket in the 1970's?

eb2jim likes this.
  9. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

It's probably a moot point seeing as they likely never just sat around listening to their own records for pleasure.

10. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

Let's ask McCartney.

11. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Assuming a real and true preference on the part of the Beatles, would it have been due to their familiarity with monaural as opposed to the new 'fad' of stereo sound?

12. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

Yes. Harrison, too.

Dyland and Grant like this.
  13. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

I remember from the Anthology DVD's that George comented that they felt like like naked and a bit embarassed when listening to the stereo mixes for the first time... I think that (especially for their early recordings) they were not very confident about how they really sounded, so for them the mono was more comfortable, in order to make them sound more powerfull and to hide some imperfections.

Dyland and Grant like this.
  14. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

All I know is that I prefer The Beatles in mono and that is what is most important. :D

15. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Baloney.

16. FredV

FredV Senior Member

[​IMG]

vadthebad, Ash76, morinix and 3 others like this.
  17. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

What's "baloney" about it? Most artists don't sit around listening to their own music. Can't imagine that the Beatles were much different.

Stencil, Tuco, katstep and 3 others like this.
  18. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I saw many photos with Ringo wearing a "back to mono" badge.

19. Jose Jones

Did they protest when all the mono versions of the lps were deleted?

No.

Did they make sure that fans could get mono versions of the albums from Help! to White Album on cd, from 1987 to 2009?

No.

Do their big selling, hits compilations like the Red and Blue albums and "1" contain exclusively their preferred mono mixes?

No.

In other words, they talk a good game about preferring mono and all that, but it's just lip service. They may have preferred mono in 1965 but those days are long gone....

Carlox, Rich C, jacchank and 12 others like this.
  20. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

The Beatles secretly hated mono.

Fact.

21. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I don't really see how anything in your post rebuts what I said. It's not their preference that mattered, but their artistic involvement with the mono.

22. Jose Jones

John Lennon claimed to never listen to his own music...then after his death it was revealed he had a huge Beatle bootleg collection.

Most artists like to claim they never listen to their own music. I don't believe it. Artists have huge egos....

23. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

After the band broke up I don't think they really thought a lot about the Beatles. It seems like to me that the members just wanted to move on with their solo work.

Dyland and nesboy43 like this.
  24. Jose Jones

You should read over my post again then. If mono was truly important to them, wouldn't they have insisted that more of their releases in the last 50 years featured mono? Why slave over the mono mix of Pepper only to see it go out of print for decades within a year or so?

JoeRockhead, smokeverbs and Frank like this.
  25. A lot of those Back to Mono Buttons were around in the early to mid 70s when there was this retro thing going on about 50s and some early pre Beatles 60s rock and roll. The whole Phil Spector thing and so on. Buddy Holly, Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis etc. Yes some of the Beatles wore those and we had and sold them in our record store.And they were given out when the Spector Xmas album was reissued. It was soon after the punk movement also started. A retreat to basic rock and roll. I don't believe it was anything to do with Beatles albums in Mono. Not to say that they didn't prefer them. Just a version of hipsterism. even the Beatles couldn't avoid all that.