Did you ever see Jimi Hendrix live in concert ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Glenn Christense, Nov 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block Thread Starter

I've seen almost everyone I ever wanted to see live except Jimi Hendrix and the original Byrds.
    I started a thread years ago to hear forum members recollections of seeing the original Byrds live, so if you will excuse me, I'd like to live vicariously again through you and experience ( see what I did there ?) seeing Jimi live.

If you did, please spill as much detail as you remember. I remember specifically where I was standing in my high school when a friend asked me if I wanted to go see Jimi..and I passed. No money. Next time, says I.
    Oops.There was no next time. Click bang, what a hang. :(

Where, when, which band, opening band or bands, how close, how was the sound, which songs, etc.
    Please give 'till it hurts.:D

2. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I saw Jimi at Maple Leaf Gardens inToronto in 1969.
    He got busted for heroin possession earlier that day.
    I was stoned on acid.
    For whatever reason, the song I remember was Voodoo Child.
    Glad I had the chance to see him.
    Glen

3. Glenn Christense

Lucky you .Were you up close? Did he kill or were you too out of it to remember much?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  4. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

I saw Jimi and the Experience live here in Glasgow in 1967 (and Floyd with Syd) and the Byrds in '68 at Middle Earth (not the original Byrds though). To be honest, I can't remember what Jimi played now, only that I wa there and thought that they were amazing, better than seeing them on TV. It's the 60's thing, memory is a distant memory, if you know what I mean. I think I was pretty much at the back of the theatre (Green's Playhouse) but could be wrong. It was the package tour with Hendrix, Floyd, Amen Corner, The Nice etc. Why don't you ask about Paul Jones?.

5. old school

old school Senior Member

I saw Jimi at The Newport Pop Festival in 1969. I was mesmerized by Jimi I was standing on top of a 55 gallon drum through Jimi's whole Performance so I could watch Jimi's every move above the crowd. This concert was known as Woodstock West some say there were over a couple hundred thousand people. It will always be in my memory I saw my hero!

6. Glenn Christense

Jim, have I told you lately that I hate you ? ;)
    I remember seeing the group picture from that tour. Any memory of how long they played ? Were they super loud?

zobalob likes this.
  7. Glenn Christense

Any particular highlights stand out for you ? White Strat ? Flying V ? Don't hold back. :D

8. My stepfather saw him. Twice.

John Fell and Glenn Christense like this.
  9. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Wish I could have seen it Old School!:uhhuh::righton:

Glenn Christense and old school like this.
  10. old school

old school Senior Member

Jimi was playing his White Strat, What I remember but you have to understand this was 1969 and I was tripping was the incredible solos it was unreal and people were jumping up to get on stage it was crazy!

11. Glenn Christense

I've mentioned it before but... to make me even more jealous, a friend of mine got to jam with Jimi . When we are together the coolness score is Jerry: 100, Glenn: 0 :(:D

12. Glenn Christense

Did anyone see Hendrix when they weren't tripping ? :laugh:

Nobody will have much memory of the concert itself, just the fabulous colors and the occasional sensation of melting.:p

13. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Just as well that I know you're kidding (I hope) :laugh:

They would have played no longer than 20/25 minutes (it was a package tour) despite being "top of the bill" and I don't recall them being any louder than anyone else...I had gone to the gig to see Jimi and Floyd specifically and wasn't really bothered about the others, but beyond that...I remember Floyd did "Set the Controls..." and "Intersellar Overdrive" which was (IIRC) cut short, beyond that it's all hazy, sorry.

14. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Here is the Newport 1969 setlist.

Stone Free
    Are You Experienced?
    Villanova Junction
    Stone Free (part two)
    Sunshine of Your Love
    Fire
    Hear My Train A Comin'
    Red House
    Foxy Lady
    Like A Rolling Stone
    Voodoo Chile (slight return)
    Purple Haze

He also played a jam with Buddy Miles later in the festival.

davers, Mal, old school and 1 other person like this.
  15. Glenn Christense

Let me guess: Too much Ovaltine ? :D

Simon A, Mal and zobalob like this.
  16. mds

mds Forum Resident

May 16, 1970 Temple University Stadium, Philadelphia, PA. The Grateful Dead were second-billed to Jimi Hendrix for this outdoor show in the relatively modest Temple University football stadium (Steve Miller Band and Cactus filled out the bill). Concerts were very inexpensive compared to today, but still more than what we could afford and thankfully still unprofessional run during these early years. A couple friends bought tickets went to the library and copied them. Once copied they were cut to size and glued to thick paper stock and presto about ten tickets were transformed from two. We all got in. The showed started in the afternoon and went into the evening hours. The day melted to evening we were all very high and were having a fantastic time, not only because of the music but because of what this group of irresponsible bare foot, long haired, seventeen year olds were able to pull off. Hendrix cooked, the Dead were great but Hendrix stole the show. Unfortunately this old cob webbed brain has a real hard time remember lots of specifics from over 40 years ago other than this ones one of those concerts that just sticks out in your mind as a total mind blowing experience and one we always remind ourselves of how we slipped in to see such stars.

17. bodine

bodine Senior Member

Yessir. I was also at the Temple University Stadium show in May, 1970. Supporting acts: Steve Miller Band and the Grateful Dead. Hendrix came out and tore it up. His "Star Spangled Banner" was so loud and over the top that then-Philly police commissioner Frank "Nightstick in my cumberbund" Rizzo heard it at his house 2 blocks away and went so instantly insane that he ordered the venue to refrain from scheduling any more rock concerts or face his considerable wrath.

18. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Damn, you got it..... Ovaltine, the thinking man's wreck of the Hesperus, the quake of respiridato; the final, fatal emancipation of the underhooven, luckily I survived, though I have no memory of this, not to mention other things of which I cannot speak since I can't remember them.

Mal, Glenn Christense and old school like this.
  19. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

20. Glenn Christense

This is apparently going to be the theme of this thread: Yes, I saw Hendrix. No, I don't remember much about it.:D
    Do you remember if it was with Billy Cox and Mitch Mitchell at that point ?

mds, Who'sTommy and Simon A like this.
  21. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Seattle Center Coliseum (now Key Arena) - May 23, 1969. Usual 1969 tour songs, other than opening with "Come On (Part One).

22. bodine

bodine Senior Member

23. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Yep, and its funny.

old school and Glenn Christense like this.
  24. Glenn Christense

You and mds were at the same concert apparently.

25. Glenn Christense

Great. Please flesh it out. Opening bands? Were you a mile away or close ? "Come On ( Part One )" is a fave of mine, with a great solo.

John Fell likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.